Another Horrific Time!

Replies
Views
Angelicamarie

good day all, I'm a disabled veteran so I had an appt I'm sitting in the office with the doctor, I had on jeans a lace blouse, combat boots and a leather jacket, I felt warm. So I told the doc I have to get in the bathroom , which was right across the hall from office.. I told the doc I have leaked and I'm warm all over , she said I'll call maintence. So in the meantime I'm in the bathroom One stall thank god!!!! So I'm coming out of all my clothing . By me being at va the exchange was open, which is a military store that carries different things clothes perfumes all kinds of thing so my husband went down and bought me a dress. Well I carry a big bag of supplies wipes,soap, face cloth extra pouch barrier and ring. I had to keep the jacket and the boots but that got me out the bathroom and back to the appt which was just about finished. I heard the maintenance man when he went in the bathroom he hollered oh s--t . I really felt bad for him cause I'm sure it wasn't a pretty sight. It's one thing to leak at home but when your out in the public it's humiliating. But I survived that day and that was the 2nd and last episode that happened in the public have you been there? Angelicamarie

xnine

Yes

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Angelicamarie

Hi xnine what you out in public?

Bill

Hello Angelicamarie.

Thanks for sharing your story, which is a useful reminder to many ofd us about the times that we have had embarrassments in public places. When I was wearing bags  I had several such incidents and lived through them to tell the tale later. But the one I tell most was long before my stoma days, when I was incontinent of faeces. It was infinitely harder to keep some sort of control over the problem when it came from my anus , rather than the front of my stomach. I was in a supermarket and wanted access to the disbled toilets but the security guard said i COULDN'T USE IT BECAUSE i HAD NO PROOF THAT i WAS DISABLED.  I tried reasoning with him to the point where it was to late and shit flowed out of the bottom of my trousers and all over the floor. Only then did he allow me into the toilet to clean up, but there was no apology on his part, only a sarcastic comment that I should carry some proof of disability . After that I always carried a card and a RADAR key. But it never happened again because I opted for surgery which meant that I had much more control.

I love these stories as they bind us together as soul-mates.

Best wishes

Bill  

Angelicamarie

Wow bill, we got through it, but you sure don't forget. Thank you and you very right that do connect us as soulmates thank you bill this was after the surgery for me!!! Both times . That why I'm going to the stoma nurse Monday to learn how to irrigate. After listening to some of my fellow ostamates if you have more control I want it. Angelica

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
xnine

OK Angelica. We were on a car trip. I noticed my bag was part full but I was to lazy and in a rush to get going to change it. Only a few miles down the road it exploded. To big a mess to stop at the side of the road. Stopped at a service station, I wanted one with washroom acess on the out side but no luck. So I am trying to get cleaned up and it erupts again, such a big mess. At least I had cloths in the suitcase My wife was a big help getting me clothsand stuff and calming me down, I was so mad at that point. Well lesson learned.

I can almost laugh about it now.

Angelicamarie

Xnine thanks I wanted to laugh when I heard the maintenance man say o s--t but I felt bad for him and I thank you for sharing when it happened it's horrible I guess one can laugh later. You made it through that day!!!!! Thanks again xnine have a good weekend!!!! Angelicamarie

NJ Bain

All,

I'm really finding it disheartening that so many of my fellow ostomates are having to deal with leakage and explosions and accidents. I don't know what luck I've walked into, but I've rarely and I mean REALLY rarely had an accident or leakage that you all are describing. I'm concerned that some of our ostomates ET nurses or surgeons or something are not completely preparing some of you for such outcomes.

I think I've read more posts with ostomates having issues with 2 piece appliances that are having leakage and or accidents. I may be biased since I use a one piece drainable. It just sounds like so many of us are having issues that they shoud not have to be dealing with. Please let me know on this forum if I can offer any advice or assistance.

Bain

Angelicamarie

Good morning Bain then you been very lucky, cause it do happen ,but is it the 2 pc or something else heck,I'm,starting to wonder. Angelica

HarleyDoll

I was having the same thoughts as you. nbsp; How are these accidents happening? nbsp; Like you, I use a one piece drainable, and after reading some of these posts there is no way I want a two piece. nbsp; Seems to me the more 'seams' there are, the more possible areas of leakage. nbsp; Keep it simple with a one piece and make sure your fit is good, that is key.

ycats

you are soooo strong and have such a great support system in place!Im sorry that happened to you. Makes me feel that what I go through is nothing. I hope your sunday was better. im off to doc appts today....i have that "change" with me

Angelicamarie

Thank you for replying to another horrific time, I don't think I'm strong ycats I'm just trying to make it. I want to live. that's a good thing to do carry a change.have a great evening!!!!

LadyHope

Hi Angelicamarie, Thank you very much for posting your story today of strengh, courage and hope. Having a leak is so scary and you managed to get through it without skipping a beat. It gives the rest of us (ostomates and friends of) the courage and strength to face these unpredictable challeges. My friend from the support group has leaks often as her stoma is flush with her belly. She has travelled the world and leaked everywhere. Her stories helped me to be less serious and gave me the confidence to travel again. I don't travel the world like she continues to do but I do get away every now and again. I also have skin concerns once and awhile and it is frustrating because I do everything that the experts say. Keep trying and moving forward, don't give up. Lastly my friend says....S t happens and sometimes more and sometimes less depending on the day. Take care and thank you again Angelicamarie for your story of "grace under pressure." We are not alone in our journey. Sincerely, LadyHope

Angelicamarie

Lady hope thanks for replying to a horrific time, I glad it helped you but it was really rough when it happened,and yes I was embarassed but I had to get out of them clothes . so I always have a change in the car cause you never know just have supplies in your purse. I have totes and I carry quite a bit wipes , soap toilet paper plastic bag. Wafer pouch ring . Take a chance and venture our a little more have a great one lady hope!!!! angelicamarie

Past Member

hi. Im Wendy and new to this site. Yep I've been there twice at work when it's happened to me. The first time I was in my uniform and it was just like you said running everywhere I was so humiliated my supervisor had to bring me a new uniform I had student nurses out of the conference table right next to the bathroom I was in I was just mortified. The second time wasn't so bad I caught it early , but I know exactly how you feel. Lucky for me I work in a hospital and when I explain to everybody what happened they're like oh don't worry about it we understand but I still was just mortified. I guess we just have to expect days like that and when it happens we just have to move on maybe one day we can all look back and laugh at it. Good luck to you.

Bill

Hello PVassarFan 10.

What mortified me was when I got into difficulties whilst visiting my local hospital. I went into the toilet to clean up and it was hopeless for my needs.

I explained and asked the nurses where I could clean up and they directed me to the basement where there was a sluice for cleaning up soiled bed linen. There was not privacy as it was just a laundry area and by that time I just couldn't care less so I stripped of and washed my clothes anyway. You would think that in a HOSPITAL that actually performed these operations, that there would be suitable toiletting facilities. after that incident I went roud all the toilet areas to see if anything would be more suitable than the sluice. What I found(or did niot find)  really shocked me as even the disabled loos were not designed with us in mind. Okay if you have difficulty getting on and off the loo; okay if you are a mother with child; okay in some of them if you are in  a wheelchair. But nothing very helpful if you need to clean up after a stoma disaster.

It looks as if we will always need to be self-reliant in these situations.

Best wishes

Bill

Angelicamarie

Bill thanks so much for responding again to another horrific, time thank you for sharing again have a great day you inspire me bill!!!angelicamarie

Angelicamarie

Bill thanks I think that I had sent you a duplicate reply hopefully this will take care of it. Angelicamarie

Angelicamarie

Wendy thanks for sharing (referring to horrific days) it is quite embarrassing but you made it, and you dealt with it, and u sharing might help someone else you have a great one once again thanks angelicamarie

LadyHope

Hi Everyone, I agree with you regarding bathroom facilities and how they are not compatible with ostomate emergencies. I find that I need extra shelving and running water to help out. One would think that although we are not handicapped, we could use additional appliances available to make ostomy changing less complicated and messy. Plus, some public bathrooms are terrible....are they ever cleaned? Thanks again for the thread. Maybe if we group together as one louder voice, our needs will be heard and our requests met. Take care and have a happy Tuesday! ;LH

Angelicamarie

Lady hope that's a great idea one voice is not heard it almost takes an army. Take care angelicamarie

HarleyDoll

Not to ruffle any feathers but it might be worthwhile advocating for some shelving as opposed to new signage on washrooms. Your new president might be quite interested in helping the disabled as opposed to the gender confused. Our washrooms in the hospitals here in Canada are the same. No shelving and half the time you can't even tell if the door is locked or not, while people in a line waiting outside. I was in the ER a few days ago, you don't want to know. They have - as you say - NO shelving whatsoever and you are lucky if there is a hook on the back of the door to put your coat or purse. Then they hand you a urine sample too, with a little wipe and a little bottle. Where are you supposed to put that?You have to be a juggler to get this accomplished without having to put your purse on the dirty floors. I also had a 3 day hospital stay in late August. It was an emergency and I had no chance to plan or change my pouch before I went there. Do you think the hospital had any pouches?Nope. Stuck with a dirty bag all through my testing (major testing), all through the entire stay. The shift changes were so often and the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. ALL I WANTED WAS A CLEAN BAG, I WOULD CHANGE IT MYSELF HULLO???Well, the hospital does not carry a supply of bags or pouches apparently, so what happened is I had to get the one Ostomy Nurse on the one day she was there to order up from my supplier to deliver to the hospital and I gave them my credit card to pay for it.

All this, and a four stents too (heart attack). You better believe we are on our own up here for the most part. Socialized medicine is NOT all unicorns and rainbows. Parts are good, other parts are outright dangerous. I finally got my new bags and supplies about three hours before I had to go home (3-4 day hospital stay). But not before there was some kind of carbon monoxide type or gas leak in our hospital room - haha. Oh yeah, HOMEWARD BOUND I couldn't wait to get home!

Mrs.A

I keep an empty department store bag in my purse. I put my purse inside it and hang it on the door, or sometimes on the door lock.

Keep a simple but strong S hook which can go over the door to hang your purse then you can use the bag for the used ostomy supplies so you can tie it up and toss it when your done.

Angelicamarie

Thanks mrs a , for that info I will try it and thanks again for replying to another horrific time have a good day!!

angelicamarie

Past Member

Hello friends,

Aaah yes, the totally useless and totally inadequate public facilities. I can see that for women they are even more frustrating.

I on the other hand, enjoy the cosy confines of porta potties scattered along my daily routes. They at least have shelves and

a locking door. From there on things decline rapidly. No water, no heat, and for the most part no light.

I won't bore you with the other delights. Suffice it t

to say, I'll take any inside facility vs. a porta potty or on some "immediate" occasions, a secluded spot along a fire road. Just

me and the wildlife doing our thing. Who ever though that the daily functions would become so challenging.

Adapt and survive, we have opposed thumbs, we can make it!!!

Angelicamarie

Thank you scootertrash, the things we go through but we'll manage someway somehow thank you for sharing : angelicamarie

weewee

hello all,

oh do i remeber all the blow outs i have had in my past do to the way my surgen left me. in the past my changes would be up to 3 times a day depending on what i was doing. i had total shit blow outs at restraunts with friends and family. to me for 6 years this is what i delt with and all i did was what i had ;to do and sometime that ment me striping my shirt off and being half naked so i didnt get it all over my pants, that was some of the easy ones. one time i got caught really good went to restraunt then tried to go to the store with my friend in his truck then a major blew out, then my dear old stoma decided that it was going to be a shit fest and not stop shiting for a long time i couldnt do anything but spray the ground and pray i missed my friends truck cause then the wind picked up and was blowing and when people were driving by they watched as i shit all over the parking lot by the time my friend got back i used all the paper towels all the baby wipes my shirt stunk up the whole spot and he was trying to rush to get me home the bumps in the parking lot were more noticeable cause i didnt want a mess in the truck my friend was seeing how mad i was getting cause i used everything we had in the truck. i have spare back up changes in every car or place i am in, but on this day i couldnt stop shitting long enough to put anther bag on. by the time we got me home i was finally getting no out put. my friend handled it better then me he was praying that i wouldnt spray on the inside of the truck i said you got your wish, cause we made it home in pieces

Newstom

Hi all, well I haven't had a big catastrophe in public, hope I never do. I end up hanging my purse around my neck sometimes to avoid the floor, but that is challenging as well. I wear a belt to hold the snap on bag to the wafer. I was walking out of the Movies with my hubby and I felt something hitting the back of my Knees, I finally reached back and it was that white belt flapping way below my jacket like a long tail! I was so emabarassed I just tucked it in my pant waist and kept walking. I guess it wasn't the end of the world, I'd be much more upset if it fell off and I lost it but I did not look back and was glad I was leaving the theatre, not arriving! It reminded me of having toilet paper hanging out, that's happened a long time ago.....but the public bathrooms are not osto friendly! One big question? How do you know if you have a hernia and is it bad for you? I have this mound which is sometimes more protruding than others but it is not painful. I have no idea who to ask as my primary dr. Seems clueless with the colostomy

Angelicamarie

Hello newstrom, thanks for responding to horrific time. The good part is you were leaving and you didn't have waste falling down your leg, i cant give you any info about hernia, because I don't have one but on this site there is a wealth of information, and hopefully the ostamate that reaches that has the info will share with you!!!! ANGELICAMARIE

NotDeadYet

And there you have it. . . we have supplies in our cars. Extra leggings and top, Paper towel roll, ziplock bags (perhaps gallon-sized?), wet wipes, tissues, a bottle of water, but extra bags only make it to the trunk box if used immediately--who knows how a week in the trunk of a car would compromise that seal! I only carry a purse that can accomodate, in the side-zip-pocket, a colostomy bag, stored in a ziplock bag, and a small pack of wet wipes.

I am so sorry for guys that can't carry that stuff as women can. . . Women can carry a complete bag change in the interior zip-pocket of their purse! I can fully open my purse at a check out stand, and my extra colostomy bag and wipes and ziplock for disposal are hidden in the side pocket of my purse. Poor men! How could they possibly handle this?