Seeking advice for dealing with MRSA after surgery

Replies
Views
CharK63

Hi, this is Charlotte.

I tell my story all the time, so I don't want to bore you, except to say that I had a reversal almost a year ago last May, and my stoma closure scar has never healed properly. In fact, the whole 2-inch scar opened up so much I had to start packing it again.

I went yesterday to my surgeon to get the results of the culture.

I have MRSA in my incision site! I'm thinking of all the horrible things I have heard, and when preparing for the hospital, all the dire warnings in paperwork and posted on the walls.

They prescribed Bactrim, and this is the second antibiotic in the last month.

Here's the thing. They say catching it early is your best chance to beat it, but I don't know how to make doctors stop and listen to me.

I was released when it was still leaking. I reported it to the surgeon by phone after a while, but I was seeing my MD regularly. He ordered a CAT scan, and hernias showed up. So it took a month to get approved for that surgery and 6 weeks of recovery.

A week after that release, I started getting pains with a fever, and a week after that is when it split all the way with a horrid amount of discharge, so I went to the ER.

Needless to say, it's been another 6 weeks getting a CAT scan and getting tested. The lies they tell you! When I first saw on my medical record that I am now a carrier, I got all manner of explanations that didn't jive. The most popular is anybody who's been in the hospital is a carrier, so don't worry about it. When I thought I had another hernia because I feel a new lump, she said that's normal, especially with the mesh. Doesn't she realize even that was alarming!

But no, it's another MRSA coming out. It's on an old scar and already feels crusty but has not opened. It is causing the most pain as it's in the middle of my stomach.

Finally, I looked closer at my records and determined I got it when I went to the hospital for a colonoscopy prior to my reversal surgery. It seems to me if I'm a carrier and having surgery, the infection should be addressed.

My question is, does anyone know about surgical MRSA? I looked it up and can only see blisters on people that explode and that returns often. Isn't mine inside of me? I also need to know what else I should be doing besides taking Bactrim. I did read some of the homeopathic remedies.

I've been taking it easy for 6 weeks now, I guess because I'm not up to par, but have not felt really ill. I have the pains, no temp, eating way too much for not moving around, but that's all except moody. Now that has elevated to the nth degree!

Consider this a warning, guys. I hope from my story you will be able to do a better job with your docs.

Charlotte

CharK63

P.S. I think it should've been caught at the first CAT scan before the hernia operation. That cost me another 3 months.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,475 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Charlotte.

ThankĀ  you so much for sharing your story as it is a useful warning to anyone who has invasive surgery. I am so sorry to hear of the problems you are having but do not quite know what to say that might be helpful. So I thought I would just say that you are in my thoughts.

Best wishes

Bill

CharK63

Thanks Bill, I'm actually trying not to think of the worst that could happen.

CharK63

Hello all,

I'm here to help you from my mistakes. Is it true MRSA is a national epidemic and the most likely place to catch it is in the hospital! That's entirely insane! They also give it a 20% mortality rate if you've been in ICU or have been taking antibiotics.

That would be 90% of the members here! This is scary shit!

My first mistake was not learning what MRSA is the minute I got a flyer on it telling me to insist my nurses wear new gloves when they came to my room.

But wait a minute! I was in septic shock! I was comatose the first 5 days in the hospital and that was in ICU!

My second mistake was not researching when I saw test results that I was a MRSA "carrier." Instead, I asked the various docs who told me a load of crap about how anyone who's in the hospital has it and don't worry about it.

My worst mistake was not finding out precautions for it before surgery.

I have a "soft tissue" infection which means it's in my surgical site, not a skin infection that you mostly hear about, but not an organ infection which is serious.

My takedown surgery was voluntary in that I set the date. That means I could have treated the MRSA I was "carrying" prior to surgery. Hello? Does that not make sense?

I read that with topical antibiotic soaps, shampoo, and nasal treatments for 5 days may clear it up.

I'm now trying some topical home remedies. I want to be proactive. I'm using raw honey from Australia with a compress of eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil on my sites. What I thought was a hernia is now draining like the first site. I'll keep you posted.

Charlotte

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

I had MRSA over 20 years ago. Yes, you're right, it's caused by the hospital environment. I was told I caught mine while having surgery. It took about 6 months to heal completely. I was very lucky the wound healed that quickly. I've heard of cases taking much longer. Luckily, in the UK, everyone going in for planned surgery is screened in advance now to see if they have it, so you can be treated by nasal cream and antibiotics if needed. Good luck. I hope your wound clears up soon.

CharK63

Dear Panther,

Thank you. Have you had recurrent breakouts?

It is my understanding it's impossible to clear your body of the bacteria especially in lungs, nasal and bronchial areas.

I don't know if I will be retested or if she's just watching for symptoms to clear.

It appears that hospitals are keeping this as much of a secret as possible or at least denying the severity of the infection numbers. While posting signs everywhere to watch out for our caretakers to change gloves.

They must be counting on ignorant people like me to not question very much and accept lame statements for excuses.

That is so crazy because the infection rate will grow and grow! I've learned first hand now how hard it is to keep my hands sterile. Once you wash your hands you can't touch the spigot because you turned it on with bacteria on your hands!

Since I live with my 90-year-old mom I'm trying to keep the place sterile for her sake. I've read I can't even handle my dirty clothes without decontaminating afterward. I feel like I'm a pariah and it doesn't matter who's at fault for it. Just saying...

Thanks again

Charlotte

Past Member

Hi CharK63,

I'm pleased to say I've never had MRSA again. You have a lot to worry about, and with looking after your mom on top of everything, as long as your mom hasn't got any open wounds, MRSA won't be a problem for her.

CharK63

Thanks for that.

Could it be that I'm obsessing some?!

Naa, not me! Lol!!

Not the first time....

Take care, Charlotte