Advertisement
ConvaTec - request sample
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Me+ Join For Free

Ugh... soon going to become a hermit!

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
16,492 Members
Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:03 am

I've had my stoma bag for just under two weeks and in the last week have gone through 5 bags (my most recent leak was this morning... lovely way to wake up).

I've tried heating the barrier ring with a hair dryer on low once it's on, in addition to using my hand for body heat. My stoma is slightly recessed and sits pretty much right on my natural belly crease.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks I can try? My stoma nurse doesn't answer her emails on weekends.

Thanks! 

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:49 am

If I'm reading it right, you are very new to this.  I'm wondering if the barrier you are using is right for you.  There are so many different ones and I have found certain ones simply won't stay stuck for me.  I suggest you get samples from different brands and try them.  The one I was sent home from the hospital with was one that was minimaly successful in staying on and the leaks were killing me.  Once I  switched to another, wear time went to over a week and never a leak.  I changed because I wanted to, not because I had to.  The Convatec durahesive moldable convex is my most dependable model.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:53 pm

I am very new to this. It's been less than 2 weeks, the first two bags were put on by the doctor or stoma nurse, the second one she walked me through, but it only stayed on for 2 days.

I was sent home with a Coloplast one piece but she was reluctant to give me a convex style. I've been using the Coloplast barrier rings, the ones they sent me home from the hospital with wasn't as sticky as the sample pack the Coloplast sent to me. So I'm hoping it sticks better today and it'll last me more than 2-3 days!

I have some on order at the pharmacy but they won't be in til Tuesday or Wednesday. I put a new bag on this morning and have two more to use... here's hoping I don't need either of them until I have my order in.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:27 pm

I think they don't like to use convex on new stomas as it can pressure the stitches. Once you heal well, you may have better luck using convex.  Also, you mention coloplast, I use the assura model, but the newer Mio didn't stick at all.  So-like I said, just keep trying till you find something that works.  You don't need to be a hermit!

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Unfortunately within 10 minutes of replying, my bag from this morning blew. So now I have 1 back-up bag left... my pharmacy is out of the bags I'm currently using so I'm going to have to pick up something similar. 

I'm currently using the Mio430  Coloplast 10471 one piece Wide Outlet Drainable Pouch Maxi with Inspection Window Cut-to-Fit 3/8" - 2-1/8" Opaque.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:10 pm

As I said, the Mio did not stick for me at all.  I also had no luck with Cymed products.  If all you can get are Coloplast try the Assura extended wear flat barrier or SenSura line.  You can get these in one piece if that's what you prefer, but the two piece are not difficult to connect.  Was looking at the Edgepark catalog and it looks like Coloplast is really promoting the Mio.  There are pages and pages of various ones.  I just ordered samples when they first came out and then there was only one model.  I did see the one you are using.  

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:18 pm

I assume you are cleaning your skin with a non-greasy soap like Ivory or Dial and not using wipes with aloe or other moisturizers.  Also dry well with hair dryer and warm the barrier like you are doing.  Another site you can get help is https://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=2.  It  has members from around the world and free to join.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Try to get a sample pack of Stoma Seal and Aqua Seal from Costa Medical. It's not free, but VERY low cost. The Stoma Seal is a thin membrane (I believe it might have adhesive on both sides, I don't remember) that goes between your wafer and your skin, and provides a secure base for the faceplate to adhere to. Aqua Seal is also a thin memberane, waterproof, and goes on over your faceplate and beneath your pouch (you cut the opening to the size of the pouch opening), and extends about an inch or so beyond the edges of the faceplate. If you have any leaks or breakthroughs, they are contained by the Aqua Seal until you can change your appliance.

You kept saying you "blew out your bag". I'm not quite sure where your leak is occurring. My assumption was a breakthrough between your faceplate and your skin. The Stoma Seal and the Aqua Seal should help enormously with that if my assumption is correct.

Also, if you use an adhesive remover wipe in order to remove your faceplate, you need to make sure you follow up with a plain water wipe or wet washrag to remove the last vestiges of the residue left by the remover wipe. If you don't your faceplate will never stick properly. I use Uni-Solve adhesive removaal wipes followed by flushable moist wipes to remove the Uni-Solve. Fan with something to ensure your skin is COMPLETELY dry and not sticky or tacky in any way, before putting on your faceplate or the Stoma Seal.

You mention only Convatec brand appliances, but I have never had much luck with them. I use Hollister New Image 2-piece with filtered pouches which snap in place with an audible click, and have had a lot of luck with them.

At any rate, hang in there, keep trying new things until you find what works best for YOU, and best of luck. Remember that it takes several weeks to figure out what works and what doesn't, and for your skin to get used to everything that is happening to it. Before too much longer, you'll be wondering what all the angst was about, as you go about your day without any hindrance.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:49 pm

I certainly hope so Smile 

I had to use my final bag this afternoon... my bag blew (most of my leaks have been near the bottom of my seal) as I was standing in the pharmacy. 

The closest to the type of bag I'm used to is Hollister Flextend lock and roll. And I have some smaller Coloplast mouldable rings. 

This time I tried putting the barrier ring directly around my stoma and then fit the bag over it once I was confident it was sticking. I then held my hand over it for a full 5 minutes to hear it up with my body heat.

Fingers crossed!! At $173 for 10 bags and barrier rings,  I'm really hoping these work Smile

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to try and get samples from othee companies other than Coloplast just in case. My stoma nurse is pretty set on that brand.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:53 am

Hi Tashita74,

It sounds like my first couple of weeks. Once, I went throgh 5 bags in 1 day due to not adhering properly and leaking all over the place. I understand you're using rings but have you ever tried the paste instead? I use a convex 1 piece bag with paste and haven't had trouble since (knock on wood). As the paste flattens out when you press on it, it fills all the little openings that might be there. Just a suggestion and best of luck.

Darlene

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:25 am
texazgal wrote:

I assume you are cleaning your skin with a non-greasy soap like Ivory or Dial and not using wipes with aloe or other moisturizers.  Also dry well with hair dryer and warm the barrier like you are doing.  Another site you can get help is https://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=2.  It  has members from around the world and free to join.

Just cleaning with warm water around the stoma when I clean it. My stoma nurse suggested not to use soap as it would dry out my skin and make it more prone to irritation.

I had been using the stoma powder and am trying out barrier wipes instead to see if there's much of a difference.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.