Hernia That Comes and Goes as I Eat

Replies
Views
Cronic36

Good day all.. Well, I'm new to this place, just came across it while doing research on ileostomy hernias.

I won't get into my whole life history with Crohn's, but I will add that I've got short gut and a gut so full of scar tissue that surgery isn't an option unless it's life or death. That is why I'm hoping someone can possibly have a trick up their sleeve. I've got a hernia at my ileostomy site that won't go away. And every time I eat, I get very extended pressure and what I can describe as my skin being torn from the inside, which is the scar tissue being pulled. But it only seems to happen just as food is getting ready to leave my ostomy. I'm assuming things are getting stuck as my intestines fold. I usually can purge the food out, but this time it's simply too painful. But I simply can't stop eating. If anyone has any tips that could help, please let me know.

Jay1970

Hello there.

I also have what is called a parastomal hernia. I don't wish to pry, but is the hernia large? And when you lay flat on your back, does the hernia disappear back into the abdomen?

The reason for asking is that if you have a small hernia, the cavity the section of bowel is trying to get in can become painful as it is forcing itself in there. Strange, but the larger the hernia, the less chance of blockage. If the hernia is retractable, then this is also a good sign.

If you are having pain when the stoma is discharging, then maybe, just maybe, you may have a strangulation. You should not have pain when the stoma passes waste.

A lot of people over here I have read do drink a lot of fluids when eating to help with digestion and passing waste. Put your pain level on a 1-10 scale, with 10 being the worst pain you have ever experienced. Strangulation pain at the stoma site will be a 10 and may need surgery to free it.

I hope the information helps. Let me know.

Jay

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.