Colostomy Reversal - Healing Process and Experiences?

Replies
Views
Angelicamarie

Wish you the best!! Be careful as you continue to recover!! God bless! Angelica Marie

Katy3943

I had my reversal surgery in December of last year. I had totally freaked myself out reading about the horrible outcomes and spending months at home near a bathroom!! Either I have the best surgeons or I'm extremely lucky, but the reversal was not too bad. I spent 5 days in the hospital and was home. It took several weeks for my system to return to "normal," but it was never a dire emergency where I couldn't get to a bathroom!!!

Would love to share more if you're interested,

Kate

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,475 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Russell

Hi, always good to share especially as we're all different and a good story gives others hope xx

New Orleans guy

Hi, I'm Al from Harahan, married, no kids, permanent ostomy for 3 years or so. Retired also, used to do triathlons up until I got colitis and C. diff and removal of colon. To be honest, I went through a depression with the ileostomy, always afraid of leaks and self-conscious. Not so bad now... Good luck on your reversal, you will be your old self again soon!! We sure have had some freaky weather lately!! Take care sweetie!! Al

needcrew

Well, New Orleans guy, it looks like we are fixing to get real freaky weather...

Thank you all for the input and well wishes. I go to New Orleans tomorrow in this nasty weather to talk and schedule my surgery. Prayers appreciated.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
J5

Hi everyone,

My mum just had a colostomy reversal done on the 4th of Jan 2018. The doctors here in Nigeria... well, I don't think they even know what the post-op issues are, so no one has told us what to expect or not. She was discharged 11 days later. She got home and we discovered pus coming out of the wound. This was drained, and just a few minutes ago, the doctor dressed it and discovered the wound has now opened and is not healing.

My mum was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, which was what led to this colostomy. Please, I need some counseling on what to expect. I'm already at my wits' end.

J5

Hi,

You are so lucky! Please, did you encounter any challenges?

Gross067

Jenerprise, I just got my (hopefully) temporary colostomy. I had it done emergently in Wisconsin. I'm curious if there's a surgeon you recommend in MN? I'd like to have a backup that isn't 5 hours away...-)

Cplumber

Praying for you

Cplumber

FYI. There is a lady who attends the monthly UOAA in Minneapolis that has had a reversal and she attends to support people in similar situations. The meeting is the 3rd Monday of the month. I try to send out reminders a few weeks prior to the meetings if you want me to put you on the list?

Chris

Jenerprise

Yes!!! I actually won't allow another surgeon to touch me. Dr. Mark Sneider. He saved my life when I was brought into the ER and did my reversal 6 months later

Jenerprise

Hi Chris!

I reached out to Eileen and told her I would attend the St. Paul meeting if she would like that. It sounds like that woman has the other side of the river covered:). Thanks for the note!!

Jenerprise

Please feel free to email me directly:

funnygurl

People who have successful reversals often migrate away from this site. Those with complications or who are incontinent are more likely to come back here. So, you likely are not seeing a true cross-section of those who have had reversals.

Jenerprise

Thank you for that note!

It is actually one of the reasons I have stayed on this site. I feel I can offer a bright side to the reversal process and procedure based on my own experience!!

mikkiroxx

Hi, I was reading your post. I was wondering what you meant by learning to use the pot all over again. I have an ileostomy and I can't wait for my reversal. I had 8 inches of colon removed. I was told I would use the toilet a lot. It just scares me and I'm not sure what to think of this. Like, will I have the poops all day and night? Will I be able to control my bowels? Will I poop my pants at work? I want a reversal but also want to have control of my poop! What's your thoughts?

mikkiroxx

Hi Katy, I had 8 inches of colon removed. I have had several bad episodes of diverticulitis, I finally had the surgery. After 15 years of being afraid, I was in total panic up until the second I went under in the operation room. I woke up to 30 staples and an ileostomy. My surgeon says 3 months for a reversal, I'm having a barium enema prior to see if things are okay for reversal. I want this reversal so bad. Dealing with this bag has been so hard for me. I hear so many terrible stories of people living on the toilet after reversal and things gone wrong. My surgeon says I won't be regular for maybe 3 years after reversal!! Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Jenerprise

It has been about four months since my reversal. I had about 5-6 inches of my sigmoid removed, along with a portion of my jejunum. I had a colostomy for about 5 months.

I woke up in not a ton of pain after the reversal- I also had a stomal hernia repair as well at the same time. I started pooping after about 24 hours of surgery. I need to take about a teaspoon of milk of magnesia every night or else I get constipated.

I have had no issues outside of that. I have not had an occasion where I pooped my pants or couldn't hold it. Nothing like that. I poop once a day usually, sometimes twice.

I am very happy I had my reversal!

Jen

Angelicamarie

Jen, I'm glad everything went well. I'm sure you are glad you had it done, hope your healing process isn't too bad. Best wishes!! Angel

mikkiroxx

Thanks for the info. I am excited about my upcoming reversal. Just don't know what to expect or how often I will be running to the toilet. I just want this bag off and my life to go back to normal so to speak :)

Jenerprise

I get it...

I feel - never normal but always special and blessed for what we have been through and go through. Very strong

latina63

I have been reversed for 5 years now, at times I do wish I had the bag back. I think it all depends on how low your connection was, how much colon/rectum they removed. Mine was very low and I lost a lot of my rectum, so I still have a lot of problems: rectal nerve pain, cluster bowel movements, chronic constipation.... It's very hard sometimes, just hoping that it will continue to get better. It definitely is a new normal.