Freaked Out TMI

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Robinson85

Ok, so I have a temporary ostomy. It was done on 1/2/18. I just had the urge to use the bathroom and something actually came out. It wasn't stool. I called the on-call doctor, and he said it was mucus and didn't sound concerned at all, but it doesn't look like mucus. It looks like a fatty piece of intestine??? Does this happen? Should I be worried?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ewesful

There are a few comments and info letters in the back history log that may help you to keep from being surprised by reading up on things ahead! ....The mucus is important as it means the tissue is still good and all tissue has some outlet whether it be pores for sweat or membranes that filter. This discharge comes every few months or so ...all very normal....The mucus is light grayish and totally harmless.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

As Ewsful says. This is quite 'normal' but it can be disconcerting, especially as some of it can be mixed with old blood from the scar tissue and so looks brownish and remarkably like faeces. Sometimes it's hard lumps and sometimes slimey, but it's nothing to worry about.

You did the right thing by asking the doctor when you were concerned.

Best wishes BillĀ 

tricia63

Hi, no it is nothing to worry about. I have had my colostomy for around 7 years now and have suffered the mucus discharge. It is not nice but harmless. I would advise you to see your doctor if it happens on a regular basis.

Past Member

Hello to you. I had my ostomy attached to me in March of 18. 90 days after completion of chemo/radiation, my takedown surgery should happen. This last week, I have been dealing with nighttime leaks. The latest one was due to me accidentally sleeping on my belly. I am still getting used to placing a pillow between my legs so I do not sleep on my belly.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister