Opinions on Regular Irrigation?

Replies
Views
Mykxman

Is anybody out there irrigating regularly? Irrigation is being suggested for me, but I would like to know others' views on the subject.

funnygurl

Irrigate when I have a blockage. I find it very messy and time-consuming. A pouch is more convenient for me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Immarsh
Hi, I have an ileostomy, so I don't need to irrigate. I don't understand the term "Sigmoidcolostomy". With a colostomy, the opening is made in the colon, or part of the colon is removed. That would mean the output will be quite solid. The people I know who have a colostomy and irrigate are very happy with the procedure. They are able to "regulate" the time of their "output". It sounds like it takes about 1/2 to an hour....I wrote your name down and will tell my friend (who lives in the UK, in the York area) to look for your post. Irrigating "empties" his bowel for 24 hours, and then all he needs to wear is a small plastic pouch, "a cap", over his stoma, just for protection or any leakage. If you want to see the procedure (in a hospital setting), google "irrigating a colostomy" on YouTube. You can adapt what you see to any area of your home. Some people prefer lying down in bed while letting the water in, and then waiting (with a long pouch attached) for the output to start flowing. But I know others who do the whole thing in the bathroom. It's up to you. If you don't get any more responses to this post, post again. There are other colostomates so you can get a variety of opinions. Best of luck, Marsha
Bill

Hello Mykxman.

I've been irrigating for years and would totally recommend that people who can, should give it a go. It's not for everyone but those who are successful with it improve their lives no end.

May I sugest that you look in the 'CONTENTS' section for 'COLLECTIONS' on the left hand side of your screen and scroll down until you come to 'COLOSTOMY'. the very first post is all about 'COLOSTOMY IRRIGATION'  so you will be able to read many views on the subject by past posters.

Best wishes

Bill 

mild_mannered_super_hero

I am an irrigator. It will improve your quality of life... Try it if you qualify. Good luck!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
scorsby

Hi Mykxman

'I'm totally sold on irrigation. I've been doing it for five years and it gives me almost 100% control of my incontinence.

I recommend using an electric irrigator pump. Then no filling difficulties. Look at Bbraun Irrigator pump. If you're in the UK, you can get one on prescription.

If you can irrigate, then do, you'll never regret it.

John