ConvaTec - request sample
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Meet and talk to 18,667 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 18,667 OstoMates.
Not your typical ostomy website. See why

Question About Odor

Go to page: 1, 2  Next
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:52 pm

Hey guys, I have a curious question about odor.  It is my understanding that there shouldn't be any odor from the ileostomy bag unless there is a leak or if you are changing it or emptying it. However, after my normal change today I have noticed a lingering odor.  I checked everything and there are no leaks or holes anywhere in the apliance and none of the contents could have gotten on anything outside of the bag.  Have any of you had this issue after changing out your bag??  It just seems odd to me that I would have this when there are no leaks.

Past Member
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:16 pm

Did you check your wafer or around it .Every now and then an odor comes from my wafer.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:25 pm

freedancer, I shower and change EVERY day, use only a sen sura mio one piece and a single barrier wipe on the skin before applying the mio, use essential oils or baby oil for odor and don't experience leaks but I still smell the odor.  Hubby says I'm anal Smile and possibly OCD, but I've always had an extremely sensitive olifactory system. I also find the filters clog within 30 minutes so I always use the little blue tape circle to cover the outlet and just burp the bag.  Wish they made the exact same bag w/out the filter.

Peace

Nancy

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:16 pm

try some baking soda in your pouch.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:38 pm

It seems like it only does it for one day.  I still have my staples down my midline so I have to jockey it around it until I get them out. Maybe I didn't get it tight enough in one spot but I can't tell and it looks ok.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:41 pm

I can totally relate.  I can spot a dirty baby (diaper) at 30 yards!  LOL!!  My hubby says he doesn't smell anything but it nags me!!

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:50 am

Have you tried an ostomy deodorant?  I found them to be helpful minimizing smells.  I liked Na'scent, Safe and Simple and M9 the best.  Good luck!  LadyHope

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Yes I have.  I did not like the Na'scent but haven't tried the other two.  I am using one that they sent me home with from the hospital and the VA sent me some as well.  Thank you for the reply!  

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:28 am

I just had my Ileostomy surgery 4 weeks ago. I have not had any issues with odor unless I empty my bag and even then it's not all the time. It just depends on what I eat. My ostomy nurse said to add a little peroxide in the bag. As for having an odor with no leaks, are you using the adhesive rigs or paste? Maybe a small amount of output leaked beyond the barrier ring and is under the wafer. I had that happen once. Or maybe your husband really doesn't notice an odor. I am pretty anal about odor myself so I completely understand. I use either baby oil or the deotorizing oil. It helps me empty easier and reduces odor, not to mention I rinse my bag out every time I empty it. I am assuming you are also new to this. There are many things you can use to prevent odor overall. Tic tacs, mouthwash, peroxide, baby oil, etc. I wouldn't use mouthwash though. Id be afraid of it irritating the stoma. I also don;t use peroxide unless its to rinse out a bag. I reuse them them a few times and just alternate them with new ones. Just make sure there are no leaks under the wafer. It can cause skin irritation. I found that out the hard way. If you your skin gets itchy under the wafer, change it. For me it was moisture due to a leak that just wasn't enough to go beyond the wafer. Good luck!

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:38 am

I also sometimes put those small breath strips by listerine in my pouch.  They disolve when they get wet.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Thank you!  Just had my first revision on 17th of February.  It was rough starting all over again.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:14 pm
Coloplast Brava Lubricating Deodorant is brilliant!! Just put a squirt in the bag after each emptying. DO NOT put anything in your bag that just “might” seep past your Stoma onto your skin!! Ceratainly DO NOT put Peroxide into your bag.

FREEDANCER.....Just change your bag. See if the smell is still there. If it is, I’d suggest it’s something wrong with the batch of bags you are using....
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:06 pm

I've rinsed my pouch out with peroxide many times without any problems, I wouldn't suggest leaving it in your pouch as a deodorizer but it's fine for a rinse. After all you can rinse your mouth with it.

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:29 am

I've heard in other places that mouthwash is a good cheap deodorizer.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:05 pm

I think you guys really covered it.  Angelkisses seems to have tried the same protocols as I did.  I just wanted to add a couple thoughts.  The manufacturers usually suggest using 4 to 12 drops of the deodorizers.  I find 12 to 16 works for me.  Using about 10 drops of Adapt lubricating Deodorant with about 10 drops of M9 Odor Eliminator seems to cover everything for my colostomy.  That might be too much liquid for an ileostomy.

Mike

Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.