ConvaTec - EASE Strips
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,361 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,361 OstoMates.
Not your typical ostomy website. See why

Removing Barrier

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:02 am

I have been reading in here about trouble with removing the barrier and pain because of the adhesive.  However I had a heck of a time removing mine tonight in the shower not from the outter cloth like material that has adhesive but because of the Hydrocolloid Flexible Collar that pretty much just lays flat because my stoma is already smaller than the hole in the collar.  It does not have any adhesive that I can tell because it is not sticky at all before putting it on but it might as well have been atttached to my stomach with super glue for how hard it was to remove.  I mean I have only been wearing one for 2 months now but never had an experience like that.  It really was rediculous.

It took me a good 15 mid of pulling on it while I ran hot water over it to soften it up and it just would not release.  Normally 20 seconds of warm shower water and it just pills off.  So my 2 questions are does anybody know what could have happened to make this happen so I can avoid it in the future and is there something that I can use to make it release easier in the future?  My skin is still burning and it was an hour ago.  It feels like a really bad sun burn.  I have probably removed my barrier 20 times now with no problems.

I am using a Convatec 411804 barrier.  Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:35 am

Bagger Vance,

The pouches and wafers are designed to be very durable for everyday activities.  The manufacturer may have changed the ingredients in the wafer or you just got a really good seal.

I myself shower with my pouch and I change it every 3-4 days.  I blow it dry after a shower.  I used a very soapy washcloth to remove the pouch.  It helps with removing the pouch or wafer and also helps with irritation.  You just have to rinse well so that the next pouch or wafer application gets a good seal.  I've never used just straight water to remove a pouch.

There are adhesive removers too but they always rubbed me the wrong way.  I'm sure there will be more responses to this inquiry.

Bain

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:18 pm

I initially used the adhesive remover pads until I discovered the adhesive remover spray cans.  Both Hollister and Coloplast have it.  Just spray it along the wafer and it instantly peels off.  Amazing stuff.  The cans are 2.7 oz so you can carry on airplane also.  I only use the adhesive remover pads in my emergency kit.  I change my wafer daily so this made it so much easier on my skin.  Good luck and stay well!  Penguins7

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Yup!  I'll go with Penguin7.  The Convatec Sensi-Care Releaser Spray is miracle stuff.  It's expensive but I think it's worth it. 

I also agree with Bain and, if soap and water worked, that's all I would use.  It would have to be soap with nothing added.  No frangrance, moisturizers, nothing.  Then rinse the heck out of the skin.

Good luck,

Mike

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks!  Is the spray an adhesive remover?  If so, does it make sense that the collar that I dont think has any adhesve is what is locked on to my skin? Can anybody tell me why a rubber like collar can get stuck to me when it has no glue.  I was totally clean before I put it on.  Is it heat avtivated?  I was overheating a few nights from the chemo.  Do you think it melted into my skin?  I just dont get it or why someone would use expensive adhesive remover to remove something that does not use adhesive.  Why do these stick so much?  I mean if it works, so be it.  Just wish I understood why I need it.  I never needed anything to remove them before.  Thanks everyone

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Hey Bagger, you're using a Durahesive wafer.  

Durahesive® skin barriers are designed for people whose stoma output is mostly liquid. Unlike other skin barriers that can breakdown around liquid output, Durahesive® skin barriers swell up or "Turtleneck" to better protect the stoma and peristomal skin. This effect helps create a more secure seal without harming the skin.

Hope this helps.

Mike

PS:  Still caddying?

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Thank you for that really good info.  That is definately not for me then.  Almost always solid.  Chemo does cause some diahrea so it is good that my first month order was durahessive then but I will change to a less adhessive one next time.  So manyto pick from, I just selected the one from all the samples I liked best and I liked it best only because I hate cutting the circle out each time.

Thanks again.  When I was registering for this site, I was thinking about my bag and Baggar Vance was playing on TV so i thought, why not Wink

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:35 pm

This sort of product is helpful to put on before placing the wafer on your skin:

https://www.edgepark.com/ostomy/skin-prep-and-adhesive-removers/skin-prep-wipes/torbot-cardinal-health-essentials-skin-prep-protective-barrier-wipe-1-1-4-x-3-box/p/za40075bx

It makes it easier to remove the tape and your wafer without tearing or irritating the skin.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.