Link between IBD and polycythemia in blood disorders?

Replies
Views
Sasquatch

Has anyone ever heard of a link between IBD and blood disorders? Specifically, polycythemia (thickening of the blood). My doctor has noticed this increasing over my last few checkups, and I'd just like to know if it could be a common thing with IBD patients, or if it's just a one-off thing.

7afin

I don't think it's a proven relationship since it's so hard to definitively say what goes on at that micro level in the gut. However, in my case too, I have a blood disorder and it happened pretty much around the same time that my Crohn's went haywire and I ended up with the ileostomy.
So I'm getting a stem cell transplant to cure the blood disorder (called MDS, a type of pre-leukemia). My GI doc said he has seen people's Crohn's conditions improve a lot after the new stem cells (basically getting a new immune system).

So I don't know if it's common, but I sure think there is a link. I know that's a not very scientific reply. Lol.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,356 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

BayGal

Hi, I am very happy to find someone the same age as me.... I am single and have 2 daughters ages 15 and 11. I had ulcerative colitis for 13 years and 2 years ago they removed my large bowel and now I only have my small bowel, but I have been having problems. I have had a hernia repair right above my stoma and now it is like a volcano... have you had anything like this happen to you...

Sasquatch

Hi BayGal,

We are the same age, and it looks like we had surgery at about the same time as well. I've not had any issues with hernias. I thought I might have at the beginning of this year, but it turned out just to be an abdominal strain from coughing.

Becky60

Hi, I also have Crohn's and had emergency surgery for a perforated colon because of my Crohn's. But it also perforated because of a lot of stress factors. My ileostomy was Sept 2016. I'm happy to be of support to you. Feel free to ask any questions. Take care, Becky.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Julz44
Hi 7afin,

Hope you have recovered from your transplant and feeling well enough to go back to your goal of mountain biking.