Pilates after Colostomy: Tips for Safe Movements?

Replies
Views
crossley8

Have any of you done Pilates after your ostomy surgery? I am 7 months out from my surgery and am going back to Pilates for the first time today. I have been doing some walking and some physical therapy, but this will be my first time at Pilates since my surgery. Are there certain movements I should avoid, such as bending and twisting, for fear of dislodging my pouch? Many thanks for any help.

Past Member

I am 8 months since my surgery. I asked my doctor if I could start going to the gym and exercising again, and he said yes but take it slow.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,472 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

crossley8

Thank you, Coraline - I appreciate your response.

Silveradokid

Hi Crossley. I never took Pilates before my surgeries and hold no desire to start now. Guess you could call me a 'Remote" exerciser. Joking aside, you should speak with your surgeon about the dos and don'ts of exercise. All the best - Silveradokid.

D5000

I do Pilates with my colostomy and have for 3 years with no problems. Love the exercise.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
sherileo

I'm glad someone posted about this, it's been a year since my surgery and I've been terrified to go back to Pilates for a fear of "overdoing it" or herniating or something!