Ostomy Blockage from Cornflakes?

Replies
Views
Victor61

Hi. Does anyone in here have any issues regarding blockages caused by eating cornflakes with milk or am I just being paranoid?

Cheers

VB

NJ Bain

Vic,

Everyone has a different reaction to foods but I've never had an issue or blockage from any cereal...so I vote paranoid. Just try some in moderation and chew it very well.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,427 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

britathrt60

Hey Vic

Never had a blockage with cornflakes. I have had horrible blockages from raw carrots and sausage skins that put me in the hospital. My mom always told me to chew my food 20 times before swallowing when I was a child... Now, after 18 years with an ileostomy, I have learned the hard way... Take care and the best of luck to you.

Cheers!

Angela

Puppyluv56

Hi,

I have never had any issue with any food!

No blockages but sometimes it does come out as it went in!

Puppyluv

Past Member

I've never had one from them, but we're all unique. What's right for one is wrong for another. If you haven't already, try them a few more times to see if it was them or just a coincidence.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Xerxes

Bain's advice is most sound, everything in moderation. I might add that it is important to keep your fluid intake in order as it aids in the passage of the ingested (chyme) materials.

Xerxes

Victor61

Thanks to you all for the helpful comments.

I've stopped eating them at night now and sticking to AM instead.

LOL

Mrs.A

I used to like cereal, but don't eat much of it these days but that's just my preference. I wouldn't think corn flake cereal wouldn't be an issue as once the milk is poured on, it's difficult for them to hold together anyway. I agree with moderation and of course chewing well.

True, they are a type of food and just maybe because they need quite a bit of the day for our bodies to break down the bits small enough, so maybe just having them early is a good idea!