Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,240 members

Ostomy Reversal

Posted by AnnaT, on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:26 am

Good day,

I have a question here. Is it possible to get a colostomy reversal even though the rectum and the anus was removed?

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:51 am

I don't think so.  I don't believe they can re-create an anus.  Unless modern medicine has come further than I thought...  I guess you never know what they can do these days...but I wouldn't count on it.

Reply by xnine, on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:30 am

I was told no.

Reply by Dancingthrough, on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:13 am

I was told no as well

Reply by Mike6952, on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:38 pm

Cant imagine that being done with no rectum

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 pm

I was told no as well. Had a lot to reconstructive surgery but they could not do that! Not today anyway! I always look for future medical advancements!

Sorry,

Puppyluv 

dls
Reply by dls, on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:59 am

I, too was told no, too much that cannot be reconstructed.

Reply by Mike6952, on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:04 am

Question....would you realy want to go thru such another major operation?

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:04 pm

If I thought it would make things the way they used to be! Absolutely! I did not have any issues prior to a tumor so I did not live with IC or IBS or Crohns! Those that have would probably say oh no! 

Reply by Mike6952, on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:21 am

I did not have UC before I had operation and had a good life health wise, but knowing what I do I think haveing a bag is not a big problem as I thought it would be when they told me that would happen.  I still do and eat most of the things I did before just more careful when lifting I can do without a hernia lol that’s just my thoughts ...

Reply by luv2golf, on Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:40 pm

I was told no, i have had my colostomy for almost 30 yrs and after i had it for 6 years, i was told by a doctor who was finally honest with me that i could never get it reversed.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.