Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,317 members

Itching and Irritation under Barrier.

Posted by Desertmum, on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:37 pm

I could not use the barrier rings because they just didn't work on me!  So, I use a skin barrier that I really love. I've tried several other skin barrier liquids/ wipes/ etc., but this is the only thing that works: Coloplast PRep Skin Protector Roll-on. My insurance sends me two per month, but I can rarely get through one bottle. 

I also use Adapt Paste around the opening, then apply to ostomy.  The paste works for me, but the barrier rings never did work for me.  Also, I find that I sometimes need to change the ostomy bag every one or two days, depending on skin irritation. If it is irritated, I change it more often so it can heal. Once it's healed, I can go back to every 3 days. The hospital nurse said the average is every 3 days.  

Reply by Desertmum, on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:49 pm

I answered this in reply to one of your above comments, but I want to repeat it again because it was a lifesaver for me- you need to find the products that work for YOU.  I can't use the rings. They just don't work for me, so I use Adapt Paste. I swear by it.

Also, not all skin barrier wipes are the same. I found a brand that works and I stick to it now (ha ha- "stick to it").  I use Coloplast Prep Skin Barrier. It comes in a tube with a cloth "roll on" type of top. A bottle lasts over a month and really works. Some of the other skin protectant wipes were bologna. They never protected my skin. 

Good luck!

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:58 pm

I never found much value in barrier rings either but tried absuggeation from someone more innovated than I am! I tak a barrier ring and cut in half. I roll it like a string of licorice and place that up against my stoma and then put the flange on. I do cut it to fit a little bigger for the barrier rope! I think it lets my pouch last a lot longer. I can get 17 days from one pouch. I usually change at 10 days! Supplies last a long time for me! Lol

Puppyluv

Reply by Little Red, on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks everyone for the tips,  I ordered Cavilon  barrier wipes and all I could get from EdgePark was the wipes  I would like to have the wands,  they do not carry them or the  spray  but they are sending me another spray.  I checked with several suppliers and  they don,t carry Cavilon  products.  I  have both barrier rings and paste  just changed again today,  and I am red and irritated  it has only been 3 days.  but I was itching again.  today I just used the barrier wipes  and then added the new pouch.   I did notice there was some stool that had leaked a small amount around the opening by  my stoma.  so it this happens again I will try the paste.

Reply by Little Red, on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Hey  All it would help greatly  when suggesting products to name the suppliers you get the products from so we don't  ( I don't ) have to scour the internet trying to track them down  I am on Medicare and that would also help to know if the products you mention are covered.   Thanks for your help.

Reply by NewlifeVictoria, on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:19 am

Hi Everyone I wanna say hello again and tell you about a prescription for nystatin powder 100.00 miligrams it’s works so great but you need a prescription it’s a over night amazing must have item trust me😇🙏❤️🤗😃♥️ Also I’m trying to figure out how to tell the world about a 7 Harold young boy is with a colostomy bag and he had 43 surgeries ahh I did say 43 that’s a lot of surgeries he’s 7 years old I hope he don’t Ned anymore🙏! His dad was on the 11:00news crying and asking if everyone would send him a birthday card broke my heart ♥️ poor thing Imsending him a card and Hope others  will as well🙏😇🤗🌞✝️🥰😁. Here’s his address at the hospital god bless him he’s little and blonde 👱 and here’s the address to send him a birthday card😊, his birthday is Friday ......... For  KIERNAN NEMOURS A. I. DuPont Hospital ForChildren Rockland Road WILMINGTON DELAWARE 19803 Floor 2 West Room 6.     Please help me and send a card to put a smile on his face.  Thank you 🙏 Your Friend here Victoria 

Reply by Little Red, on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:03 pm

Hi All,  well I am on the way to recovery,  I tried the Cavalon  barrier wipes,  just a couple of times.  then I tried the barrier ring ( paste )  what a mess, and it leaked .  so I took the advise of another and used clear water,  which I use all the time  I wet  2,  4x4 gause sponges.  and then use one dry to pat dry.  I hate using my washcloths.  and I can get the sponges with 300 in a pack  so they last for months and are dissposable. then I air out  for as long as I can.  I do make use of all plastic bags from stores/groceries etc and tuck one end in my pants/undies so if I start to leak  I don,t have a real mess.   and I then have been putting on my pouch.   no nothing and changing every 3 to 6 days.  It is looking pretty good now.  I also tried the calamine lotion  it felt good.   Thanks for all the replys and the tips,   I have sent for samples of some different products.   I still haven't got an answer as to how close I should be putting my pouch.  just around the stoma   which is 1 inch or around the whole area where it is attatched/ stitched to the skin.  1 1/8 in.

Reply by Little Red, on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:46 pm

Just a note to let everyone know I am doing good now  and to thank everyone for there tips and sugestions,  I  did order some Coloplast  protective skin barrier (0925 )  it comes in a 2 oz bottle with a dobber top,  Very easy to use and drys fast.   I have been changing every 4  to 6 days,  clean with water apply the barrier  when dry  apply my pouch and so far no problems  my skin is a little pink around my stoma but no longer irritated and sore.   YAH  This works for me..      Sharon

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:20 am

Sharon,

So glad you have that all figured out and not in pain any more! Never had that happen, yet! Knock on wood! I know where to come if it does though! Lol

puppy

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.