Relief for Itching Under Barrier

Replies
Views
Desertmum

I could not use the barrier rings because they just didn't work on me! So, I use a skin barrier that I really love. I've tried several other skin barrier liquids/wipes/etc., but this is the only thing that works: Coloplast Prep Skin Protector Roll-on. My insurance sends me two per month, but I can rarely get through one bottle.

I also use Adapt Paste around the opening, then apply to ostomy. The paste works for me, but the barrier rings never did work for me. Also, I find that I sometimes need to change the ostomy bag every one or two days, depending on skin irritation. If it is irritated, I change it more often so it can heal. Once it's healed, I can go back to every 3 days. The hospital nurse said the average is every 3 days.

Desertmum

I answered this in reply to one of your above comments, but I want to repeat it again because it was a lifesaver for me - you need to find the products that work for you. I can't use the rings. They just don't work for me, so I use Adapt Paste. I swear by it.

Also, not all skin barrier wipes are the same. I found a brand that works and I stick to it now (ha ha - "stick to it"). I use Coloplast Prep Skin Barrier. It comes in a tube with a cloth "roll on" type of top. A bottle lasts over a month and really works. Some of the other skin protectant wipes were bologna. They never protected my skin.

Good luck!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,438 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

I never found much value in barrier rings either, but tried a suggestion from someone more innovative than I am! I take a barrier ring and cut it in half. I roll it like a string of licorice and place that up against my stoma, and then put the flange on. I do cut it to fit a little bigger for the barrier rope! I think it lets my pouch last a lot longer. I can get 17 days from one pouch. I usually change it at 10 days! Supplies last a long time for me! Lol

Puppyluv

Little Red

Thanks everyone for the tips,I ordered Cavilonbarrier wipes and all I could get from EdgePark was the wipesI would like to have the wands,they do not carry them or thespraybut they are sending me another spray. I checked with several suppliers andthey don,t carry Cavilonproducts. Ihave both barrier rings and pastejust changed again today,and I am red and irritatedit has only been 3 days. but I was itching again. today I just used the barrier wipesand then added the new pouch. I did notice there was some stool that had leaked a small amount around the opening bymy stoma. so it this happens again I will try the paste.

Little Red

Hey all, it would help greatly when suggesting products to name the suppliers you get the products from so we don't (I don't) have to scour the internet trying to track them down. I am on Medicare and that would also help to know if the products you mention are covered. Thanks for your help.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
NewlifeVictoria

Hi everyone, I wanna say hello again and tell you about a prescription for Nystatin powder 100.00 milligrams. It works so great, but you need a prescription. It's an overnight amazing must-have item, trust me.♥ Also, I'm trying to figure out how to tell the world about a 7-year-old boy named Harold with a colostomy bag. He has had 43 surgeries. Ahh, I did say 43, that's a lot of surgeries. He's 7 years old, I hope he doesn't need anymore! His dad was on the 11:00 news crying and asking if everyone would send him a birthday card. It broke my heart.♥ Poor thing, I'm sending him a card and hope others will as well. Here's his address at the hospital, God bless him. He's little and blonde. Here's the address to send him a birthday card, his birthday is Friday ......... For Kiernan Nemours A. I. DuPont Hospital For Children Rockland Road Wilmington Delaware 19803 Floor 2 West Room 6. Please help me and send a card to put a smile on his face. Thank you. Your friend here, Victoria.

Little Red

Hi all, well I am on the way to recovery. I tried the Cavalon barrier wipes, just a couple of times. Then I tried the barrier ring (paste), what a mess, and it leaked. So I took the advice of another and used clear water, which I use all the time. I wet 2, 4x4 gauze sponges and then use one dry to pat dry. I hate using my washcloths. And I can get the sponges with 300 in a pack, so they last for months and are disposable. Then I air out for as long as I can. I do make use of all plastic bags from stores/groceries, etc., and tuck one end in my pants/undies so if I start to leak, I don't have a real mess. And I then have been putting on my pouch. No nothing and changing every 3 to 6 days. It is looking pretty good now. I also tried the calamine lotion, it felt good. Thanks for all the replies and the tips. I have sent for samples of some different products. I still haven't got an answer as to how close I should be putting my pouch. Just around the stoma, which is 1 inch, or around the whole area where it is attached/stitched to the skin. 1 1/8 in.

Little Red

Just a note to let everyone know I am doing good now and to thank everyone for their tips and suggestions. I did order some Coloplast protective skin barrier (0925). It comes in a 2 oz bottle with a dobber top. Very easy to use and dries fast. I have been changing every 4 to 6 days, clean with water, apply the barrier when dry, apply my pouch, and so far no problems. My skin is a little pink around my stoma but no longer irritated and sore. YAH! This works for me... Sharon

Puppyluv56

Sharon,

So glad you have that all figured out and not in pain anymore! Never had that happen, yet! Knock on wood! I know where to come if it does though! Lol

Puppy