Filter Failures: Shower or Swimming Connection?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice on managing filter failures when showering or swimming with an ostomy.
xnine

Does your filter fail after a shower or swimming? My filters fail often, but I have never linked it to shower or swimming.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Yes, they make the little stickers to cover the filters with, but I have had mixed results with them. The tiniest bit of moisture ruins the filters in my opinion.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Penguins7

Hello Xnine, yes I find the filter fails with water. In the shower put a sticker over it and remove when done showering. Personally, I keep the sticker over the filter 100% of the time. Thanks again for your advice regarding Nightingale underwear. I use them to sleep in and now that the pouch is secure, I have never slept better since my surgery. They don't ship to the US so luckily my family lives in Canada. Stay well. Penguins7

Puppyluv56

Hey X, I am calling you this from now on because my autocorrect goes crazy with your name! Haha

My filter is only good for maybe two days if I am lucky! After that, never! Swimming or showering do make it fail faster without that little sticker. I have got to get used to using one of those! I forget most of the time until I notice the smell and gas retention in the pouch! Not one brand that I have tried is any better than the others! Wish they would improve on that feature!

Best of luck,

Puppyluv

Hermit

Filter will only last a day!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Desertmum

Yes, mine does. Now I put a small strip of that pink medical tape over the filter for a shower or swim and that seems to help a lot. The pink tape is expensive, but I use less than an inch of it each time and it lasts a really long time per roll. I bought my tape on eBay and it was cheaper.

If your discs/bags come with the sticker, it's the same thing. My bags do not come with the sticker, so that's why I use tape.

Puppyluv56

I have used both Convatec and Coloplast products, and both pouches come with filter covers, and they do work great! Waterproof tape is a great alternative!

Puppy

xnine

Thank you for the interest in this topic. I have started using the tape to see if it makes a difference.

dls

An off-the-grid idea, Xnine, don't wear anything in the shower. I will not bathe or shower with a pouch or appliance. I like a full monty clean, and my stoma and surrounding skin love the fresh air and clean. Yes, I have changed my pouch without a shower or bath, but never the other way around. Haven't swum yet, still looking into the paraphernalia I'll need to use. I use water to clear my filter when I empty, and so far it works. You wouldn't believe what I use those stickers for...

xnine

I use a two-piece system and the flange lasts mostly ten days. I bathe and shower without changing it on change days. I would not do something with only the flange on, I do not see the point.

DLS: Do you wash and reuse bags?

dls

As I normally wear a onesie, I never reuse a bag. When I use a twonie, I sometimes rinse out the bag, let it dry overnight, and use it the next day. My ostomy nurse taught me how to do this: empty and rinse the bag, dump the bag in the clean toilet, let it 'soak' while you change your pouch and clean up. Shake the bag a bit in the clean toilet water to remove any residue (some may want to use latex gloves), shake it out, and then put it in the sink with warm water and a tiny bit of dish soap to clean the bag. Rinse well. New water in the sink with a bit of white vinegar...swoosh it around. Do not rinse. Hang to dry. I use a tubular hanger with a towel hung on it. I hang the hanger on the shower bar and just lay the bag over it. It is dry and clean the next day, and the vinegar removes any odor. When I wear a twonie, I do this often, the bags can be reused several times, although I usually just rotate a few at a time then toss them. This way I get a fresh bag every day. Using a two-piece means longer wear time, so bathing is tough. At least I can have a fresh bag, even if I can't have my bath.