Need advice on muffling ostomy sounds - any suggestions?

Replies
Views
mamatembo

I had my permanent colostomy due to cancer in September 2017. I had no problems after. Then this past December, a PET scan showed a different type of tumor (neuroendocrine) in my small intestine. When I asked the surgeon if it would mean that I would have two ostomies, he said he would try to connect it up to my remaining segment of colon and empty through the colostomy stoma. He warned me that for the first month or two, I might have liquid stool rather than the previous formed stool.

Surgery went well, and I am feeling fine now with the exception that I haven't regained all my weight yet. However, it is now over 3 months, and I am still having a lot of liquid stool, and I don't want to start taking Imodium unless I absolutely have to.

The problem is, I can be sitting in the living room with my family, and if I pass gas or pass stool into the pouch, everyone in the room knows what is happening because it is no longer silent.

Does anyone know if there is something that would help to baffle the sound? I would hate to be on a long-haul plane trip and have someone sitting next to me uncomfortable because of the sounds. I would be most appreciative of any hints.

AMrfd

In the past, I have laid my coat and/or a pillow on my stomach and hoped for the best.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,484 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

weewee

You can try Beano. It takes the gas out of your foods. Works great. I used the liquid one more than the tablets because it reacts faster. Beano is bought over the counter. Taste isn't that bad either to me, like Worcestershire or a sweet soy sauce taste. I always take it straight, not on my food like it says. 10 drops and it's working. If you have gas, it relieves it in a fair amount of time.

mamatembo

Thank you AMRFD. I will try that the next time I long-haul it.

mamatembo

Thank you AMRFD. I will try that the next time I long-haul it.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
mamatembo

Thank you, weewee. I will try that also the next time I long-haul it. I do have the Beano pills but haven't found them very effective. Hope the liquid might work better.

Pabs72

Hi, I'm not sure whether this helps at all, but before I apply a new pouch, I place an oval/round cotton pad (the type used for removing makeup, etc.) inside the hole on my pouch. I gently push it through and flatten it out before removing the protective paper and then stick the pouch on as normal. The pad becomes naturally moist and gently sticks to my stoma and muffles a lot of my gas noises. They are very cheap to try!

Puppyluv56

Wow, great idea Pabs!! Now are you irrigating and doing this? If not, doesn't poo push it down in the pouch? I may have to try that! For those dinners out! At home no big deal!! Let me know!

Pup!

Pabs72

Hi pup, yes I do this as well as irrigation. It certainly does help muffle any sounds all day from day 1 of irrigation. I also often irrigate every other day but still change my pouch of a morning just for freshness etc. So day 2 it still does the job and if any output appears - it's usually towards the end of the day at home so I don't mind as much - but yes it can just be pushed down to the bottom of my pouch but doesn't make much difference either way.

Puppyluv56

Great! Thanks! Glad things are going well with you!

I may have to try some various methods and see what works. I irrigate every other day as well but still wear a full pouch system. Just not reliable for me when I eat so much of the wrong thing but do not want to irrigate every day! It is what it is and sooner or later, my colon will learn what I want it to do! Lol

Puppy

mamatembo

I want to thank everyone for the great hints. I will be sure to try them in hopes of silencing things.