Need help with retracted stoma - wafers not working

Replies
Views
Ladyhawke

As you can see, I was very sore there, but I don't get that anymore. Now it's just around my stoma because one side is retracted right back level to the stomach. Wafers don't seem to help anymore. Any ideas?

TIA

Puppyluv56

Tia,

So sorry, that looks painful. I have none of those issues, but I am sure there are lots of remedies on here! Do you use stoma powders? They do help protect the skin till you heal.

Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ladyhawke

Yes, I use powder but it doesn't stop the stoma outside from getting sore.

newyorktorque

Dear lady

I'm having some similar issues with my stoma. Mine is inverted and where the stoma meets the stomach has proved to be a painful + red vision. I couldn't get a bag to stick at all until I got into the hospital and the wound care nurses used Medline Marathon. That keeps the bag on (I use a one-piece appliance). Perhaps this will work for you as well. I still have issues though and am returning to the doctor tomorrow. Lately, this has been a recurring area and I am wondering if a graft will help. Good luck.

Ladyhawke

Thanks....going to see my doctor next week

\

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
dadnabbit

Ladyhawk, I had skin irritation issues in the beginning. I use Anacept, from Anacapa Technologies. It is a wound gel, available online and through the company site itself. I apply just a bit on the irritated skin and let it sit for a few moments after bathing. Then before I apply the barrier wipe for adhesion, I wipe the skin dry of the gel. I do not use a wafer or anything other than a one-piece SenSura Mio after applying the barrier wipe. I have found that less is more and very efficient. I am glad to be able to use pre-cut as the arthritis in my hands makes cutting difficult. The wound gel is not inexpensive, but a little goes a long way and it really does help to calm the irritated skin, as long as you can spare a few moments to allow it to soothe the skin before removing the excess and applying the barrier wipe before the pouch. Good luck

Peace

Dadnabbit

Shitt Happens

TIA,

Do you have a colostomy or ileo? Because with colostomy, you could irrigate to heal your skin.

So sorry for you :(

Little Red
So sorry to hear of your irritation, I also had that problem and I agree less is the ideal, I use water to clean around my stoma, then dry and apply a skin barrier perspective, (Coloplast 0925). It comes in a 2oz bottle with a dobber. It dries fast and then apply my pouch directly to the skin. I use a one-piece Hollister, transparent drainable, cut to fit, 08331. Nothing else. Change every 3 to 4 days until my skin is healed, then I can go longer 5 to 7 days.... I haven't had any problems since using this method at every change. It worked wonders.
Little Red

PS, I have a colostomy.

Indigo55

Are there things they can do now with a retracted/nonexistent stoma that don't involve revision? Looking at the photo, gosh, bad memories here. I feel for you. Almost ten years ago, my colon removal surgery left me with literally no stoma; the docs still tried to tell me it was "OK". ??? Ostomy nurse took one look and said "You need a revision." I had to live with it for six months but then had it done, and life went on. Surgery's not fun, but a revision isn't nearly as big a deal as the initial surgery.