Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,232 members

Jogging

Posted by Willy, on Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Hello All, 

I've just started to jog as My job is somewhat stressful, and I wanted to alleviate some stress. 

When finished and time to drain my pouch, there is a lot of blood which I noticed is from My stoma rubbing either

the pouch or skin barrier .(I have an ileostomy 16 years). Any thoughts would be very appreciative.

Thank you, Willy

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:56 pm

Sounds as if the flange is moving around a bit as you jog. The stoma bleeds very easily. Maybe your pouch or flange hole should be a bit larger to accommodate the movement. 

Puppyluv

Reply by Willy, on Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:10 pm
Puppyluv
Thank You for you're reply.The flange is secured pretty well and yes I have tried increasing the size of the flange hole but then I end up with a itchy/sore rash beneath the stoma due to the output.I'll keep trying...Thanks again
Willy
Reply by denverguy, on Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:10 pm

You might want to try a wrap. It will keep everything in place and should stop any fricition. I use one when hiking, stops the bag movement and holds it in place. . 

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:15 pm

As Denver guy says, maybe the wrap is the answer!  Keep us posted! 

Pup

Reply by Willy, on Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:30 pm

Denverguy,

Thank you for you're reply.I must admit I don't know what a "wrap"is ? I usually purchase Hollister products and haven't

seen them.Are you able to give a Mfgr's name si I can view on line.  Thank's in advance......

Reply by Riva, on Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:21 pm

Try looking at the wraps from Ostomy Secrets. I live in Florida (heat/humidity) and I find they work very well with an active lifestyle.  Good luck😎

Reply by chet8625, on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:24 am

I always used a belt but also tucked the pouch up so that there was less pull down. Always emptied just before running. As someone else mentioned the stoma bleeds very easily but doing what I mentioned always helped me.

Reply by countyclare, on Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:59 pm

Hello Willy, 

I'm Mike from Lakewood, Ohio. I came across your recent post. You might consider using an Eakin ConvaTec Cohesive Protective Seal

to first wrap around the edge of your stoma before  putting on the wafer and pouch. The Eakin Seal is very effective in protecting the stoma

and surrounding skin. I've had an ileostomy for over thirty years.  Hope this information is  helpful.

Feel free to write back if you need clarification. (

Reply by Willy, on Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:35 am
Thank You "ALL" who have responded to My inquiry. Appreciate the help...
Regards, Willy
Reply by HenryM, on Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:09 am

Reading your post, my first question is:  what appliance are you wearing?  I have jogged with an ileostomy for many years (tho' I'm slowing down now) and never experienced what you described.  Perhaps you ought to try another brand of appliance.  I wear Hollister, a soft faceplate, and cut it to fit.  Another possibility would be to find a knowledgeable ostomy nurse to question about your situation.  Perhaps, meanwhile, switch to walking, which is about as reliable a stress reliever as running.  Good luck and I hope you can solve your problem.

Reply by TNDavid57, on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:51 am

I also use the ConvaTec Eakin Seals attached to my wafer.  It does give a more flexible barrier of protection from the wafer rubbing the stoma.  I also wear a belt attached to my pouch for better fit and stability.  I have never used a wrap, but might consider it.  I just don't want another layer under my clothing.

Reply by Willy, on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:54 am

Thank You Henry, I have been using Hollister flanges # 14603 and I too cut to size with the #18113 Pouch.My Ileostomy does pertrude about 11/2" from the belly.I'm thinking it just rubs so much that it bleeds. I'm going to try a Wrap and see if it helps. Thank you everyone.............. Will let you know if I find a solution.

Cheers...

Reply by bigal1579, on Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:27 pm

I jogged for years with my ileostomy with no problem.  More recently my hip has been sore so I switched to walking/hiking.  Walking can be as good exercise wise as jogging, especially if you build in stairs and/or some serious uphill.  It's also easier on your joints and can reduce the ineviable aches and pains that might someday preclude jogging.

Also, the fitment and wrap suggestions are all right on.  You should easily be able to solve this issue.  Keep on truckin'

Reply by denverguy, on Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Ostomy Secrets is the company. I have three all machine washable. Also wear them with a suit. Extra protection 

Good luck and Happy Life! 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.