Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,336 members

Constant leaks

Posted by tmn86, on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:45 am

I'm so upset-every week or so my bag blows out the side,bottom even the top!! Only @ night!!

i don't know what to do. I use extra tape (waterproof), I only eat very minimally -I have my bag changed every 4 days. I do take a bath every other day, could that be it?

Help meūüė¶ūüė°

Reply by warrior, on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:25 am

good morning Idaho!  I see  this june, 2019 you had your surgery and the whole shebang installed.  Leaks are a very hot topic. everyone here has great advice about stopping the leaks. for me however , like you dealing with  blow outs was very upsetting.  at night it balloned- due to gas-- like a nerf football.  had to sleep on back..   boy oh boy. wasnt fun at all.. but  only one thing saved  me from future leaks. coloplast makes this half moon strip adhesives .  like big letter "C"...  half moon....use two to complete the circle around your waffer.. making sure some of the strip actually  touches the  wafter and the other half your skin.  this has been my resolve.  i didn't have to   change wafers altho,  they do make curved type wafers which also help reduce the leakage.

you see with this type of curved wafter, there is better adhesion.   I have used an accordian type waffer which really helps alot because .. one part curves to the body while the other simply hangs free to move around not effecting the waffer adhesion at all..

if  you view my profile,  just scroll to bottom for part numbers.  again this works for me. no pasteing..  never tape. its useless.  these strips are amazing.  a simple fix and coloplase with send u samples free.  i gather you use a two piece system with drainable pouch. you need to elborate more on that, if this is true.. whats yur system,? who have u tried? 

i also find they are water proof in the shower...  altho soaking yourself as one bathes, hmm.  could weaken the adhesive but have not tried  bathing. i believe if you were to use this system you'd get more life out of your waffer.. i get about a week if i am not too physical.  it always blew out near the side of the navel.. no place else.  not anymore.

also, ther are these tiny  pop off valaves available.   they stick to the pouch on top... but u need to  cut a tiny hole in the pouch.  dont worry the  valve is  made by 3M and it seals fine. this  plastic pop valve enables u to burp, releive gas in the bag without  actually prying apart the two peices..to burp it. the valve is faster but im sorry the smell is still there. 

these two items work for me and i recommend them 100 %.  others will chime in with their ideas about eating proper foods, liquids.  yes that helps..   i eat everything tho without any worries.  a good full week and i sleep a bit better knowing i am secure down there.  of course there is those  middle of the night runs to bathroom. to exhaust the bag!!    some folks will say the charcoal type pouches  help and others will say they are useless becuase if they get wet, they dont  function.   so imagine laying down and u got liquid output?? the filter just wont work to allow the bag to breathe..

lotsa trial and error.  hope this helps. good luck and welcome. 

Reply by tmn86, on Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:29 pm
warrior wrote:

good morning Idaho!  I see  this june, 2019 you had your surgery and the whole shebang installed.  Leaks are a very hot topic. everyone here has great advice about stopping the leaks. for me however , like you dealing with  blow outs was very upsetting.  at night it balloned- due to gas-- like a nerf football.  had to sleep on back..   boy oh boy. wasnt fun at all.. but  only one thing saved  me from future leaks. coloplast makes this half moon strip adhesives .  like big letter "C"...  half moon....use two to complete the circle around your waffer.. making sure some of the strip actually  touches the  wafter and the other half your skin.  this has been my resolve.  i didn't have to   change wafers altho,  they do make curved type wafers which also help reduce the leakage.

you see with this type of curved wafter, there is better adhesion.   I have used an accordian type waffer which really helps alot because .. one part curves to the body while the other simply hangs free to move around not effecting the waffer adhesion at all..

if  you view my profile,  just scroll to bottom for part numbers.  again this works for me. no pasteing..  never tape. its useless.  these strips are amazing.  a simple fix and coloplase with send u samples free.  i gather you use a two piece system with drainable pouch. you need to elborate more on that, if this is true.. whats yur system,? who have u tried? 

i also find they are water proof in the shower...  altho soaking yourself as one bathes, hmm.  could weaken the adhesive but have not tried  bathing. i believe if you were to use this system you'd get more life out of your waffer.. i get about a week if i am not too physical.  it always blew out near the side of the navel.. no place else.  not anymore.

also, ther are these tiny  pop off valaves available.   they stick to the pouch on top... but u need to  cut a tiny hole in the pouch.  dont worry the  valve is  made by 3M and it seals fine. this  plastic pop valve enables u to burp, releive gas in the bag without  actually prying apart the two peices..to burp it. the valve is faster but im sorry the smell is still there. 

these two items work for me and i recommend them 100 %.  others will chime in with their ideas about eating proper foods, liquids.  yes that helps..   i eat everything tho without any worries.  a good full week and i sleep a bit better knowing i am secure down there.  of course there is those  middle of the night runs to bathroom. to exhaust the bag!!    some folks will say the charcoal type pouches  help and others will say they are useless becuase if they get wet, they dont  function.   so imagine laying down and u got liquid output?? the filter just wont work to allow the bag to breathe..

Thank you so much. 
yes I do wear a 2 piece hollister, but I'm willing to try anything !

Reply by tmn86, on Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:36 pm
tmn86 wrote:
warrior wrote:

Thank you so much. 
yes I do wear a 2 piece hollister, but I'm willing to try anything !

Where do I get the pop valve, ballooning is a huge problem for me!

Reply by xnine, on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:31 pm

For me make sure you are dry dry dry before putting your ring and flange on. I also use a skin prep which will give me 10 days. Others will talk about using a hair dryer for some heat. What I do is use an empty tape spool as a steam roller to press my ring on, use the backing from the ring between the ring and the roller so you do not pull the ring off. Any way best of luck finding what works for you.

I also use the moons or bananas if my flange starts to lift.

Reply by Cplumber, on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:44 pm

Reply by Cplumber, on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:49 pm

Try wearing a belt, like the ones in the previous pictures. Helped stop my leaks,   Or change your bad sooner, I didn't like changing sooner.  I change mine every 7-8 days, I also where some sort of belt 90% of the time.  

Reply by Longroad78, on Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:00 pm

Leaks are always a issue and a topic that I see people have issues with. The weather has changed and it is now getting into winter, your in a much colder area. The location where you are storing your wafers and how the instructions that you see and hear apply to normal weather, when we see the colder weather you need to warm up your supplies your are going to use, I lay out my supplies and get a space heater I normally get them a little warm, this includes the adhesive wafer and any strips you might be using, also paste and the moldable rings. Do your normal process of removing you old application and cleaning the area of old glue and wipe it down with clean water to remove any adhesive remover cleaner off. Then apply the adhesive promoter. From that point you can put on your pre warmed up appliance as you normally do, the glue will work alot better then if it was cold. Do you normal process of applying pressure to allow it to adhere to you skin. 

I had a similar issue with leaks last winter and this cured the issue. I shower everyday with a shower apron and my last change the wafer was at 14 days with no issues. 

Hope this helps. 

Reply by eddie, on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:50 pm

have you tried medications that reduce gas such as simethicone?

Reply by tmn86, on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:52 pm
eddie wrote:

I'm taking gas-x but it's not working. Any suggestions?

Reply by Longroad78, on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:43 pm

Gas is a scary issue when you wake in the middle of the night and find your bag ballooned out on the edge of popping. Everyone has a different story on how they got to the spot in their life where they have a colostomy or illeostomy bag. There is a limitation on what types of food they can eat where some produce extra gas but each person is different. Cucumbers are my vice and I am lactose intolerant so dairy is a no go and amazingly corn produces are out also (I went 10 years before I found out I was allergic to that). I had UC for 20 years before my surgery so I had a good amount of time to find what foods was a issue and what is not. One very important thing to do to help your gut whatever amount of  intestine you have, your body needs good bacteria in your gut to combat gas and if you allow the wrong type you will have an on going issue of gas. Start taking a good probiotic. I started drinking kombucha  tea drinks in the morning instead of coffee which has caffeine but does not run through like coffe, it is a fermented tea and has a great effect of reducing gas. I do not have any major issues with gas, as long as I do not go crazy on my diet. 

Hope this helps you out

Reply by tmn86, on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:57 pm
Longroad78 wrote:

Gas is a scary issue when you wake in the middle of the night and find your bag ballooned out on the edge of popping. Everyone has a different story on how they got to the spot in their life where they have a colostomy or illeostomy bag. There is a limitation on what types of food they can eat where some produce extra gas but each person is different. Cucumbers are my vice and I am lactose intolerant so dairy is a no go and amazingly corn produces are out also (I went 10 years before I found out I was allergic to that). I had UC for 20 years before my surgery so I had a good amount of time to find what foods was a issue and what is not. One very important thing to do to help your gut whatever amount of  intestine you have, your body needs good bacteria in your gut to combat gas and if you allow the wrong type you will have an on going issue of gas. Start taking a good probiotic. I started drinking kombucha  tea drinks in the morning instead of coffee which has caffeine but does not run through like coffe, it is a fermented tea and has a great effect of reducing gas. I do not have any major issues with gas, as long as I do not go crazy on my diet. 

Hope this helps you out

Thank you so much, I am at the end of my rope with this & love getting good advice. 

Reply by w30bob, on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:36 pm

Hi tmn86,

That's lots of good advice posted.  I'd certainly look at the different options folks have described for keeping your barrier/wafer attached while pressurized.......but I'd also focus on stopping the gas production, as was also stated, because no matter how well attached your barrier is........it can only deal with so much pressure.  I'd talk to a dietician specializing in IBD and see what she recommends from a food avoidance standpoint.  Also note that with some folks NOT eating causes the bacteria in your stomach and gut to produce gas, so you may be making matters worse by not eating anything for a significant time before you go to bed.  Again, the dietician can help if she works with IBD folks.  As an intermediate step, until you get a handle on this problem, set your alarm on your cell phone for 2 hour intervals.  Yeah, it will suck being woken up every 2 hours.....but after a few days it will become routine and you'll be burping your bag in your sleep and won't even remember being woken up. 

regards,

bob 

Reply by britathrt60, on Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:46 am

I take baths too  but find when the wafer gets soaked it curls up and adhesive doesnt hold properly,  so what helps me is to lift my bag up in half and tape it to my abdomen....get in bath and fill  just enough to not get appliance wet...only drawback is not having a full bathtub of water...it works for me and you can still lay back and have a nice soak...hope this helps...good luck ..You will as Bob says eventually burp your bag even in your sleep which is stinky but amazing when you wake up without any leaks.

Cheers!

Ange

Reply by tmn86, on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:21 am
britathrt60 wrote:

I take baths too  but find when the wafer gets soaked it curls up and adhesive doesnt hold properly,  so what helps me is to lift my bag up in half and tape it to my abdomen....get in bath and fill  just enough to not get appliance wet...only drawback is not having a full bathtub of water...it works for me and you can still lay back and have a nice soak...hope this helps...good luck ..You will as Bob says eventually burp your bag even in your sleep which is stinky but amazing when you wake up without any leaks.

Cheers!

Ange

Thank you so much-

what kind of tape do you use? I can't imagine having to never take a bath again!

Reply by eddie, on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:33 am
tmn86 wrote:
eddie wrote:

certain foods cause a lot of gas such as beans and certain vegetables have you went to the united ostomy assoic. for tips also do you wear a belt to sleep? you can also call Hoilester and speak to a wound ostomy nurse for free, they helped me a great deal, I have also used surgiflex , it is a stretchy type tape like dressing you can stretch and put around the barrier, pf all else fails, I know is terrible but sett alarm to wake and empty pouch, so sorry your having peoblems I know it sucks!

Reply by tmn86, on Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:17 pm
eddie wrote:
tmn86 wrote:
eddie wrote:

certain foods cause a lot of gas such as beans and certain vegetables have you went to the united ostomy assoic. for tips also do you wear a belt to sleep? you can also call Hoilester and speak to a wound ostomy nurse for free, they helped me a great deal, I have also used surgiflex , it is a stretchy type tape like dressing you can stretch and put around the barrier, pf all else fails, I know is terrible but sett alarm to wake and empty pouch, so sorry your having peoblems I know it sucks!

Thank you so much for your help!

im willing to try anything! I'm kinda new to this (5mo), so I'm kinda scared.

Tiffany

Reply by w30bob, on Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:00 pm

Hi Tiffany,

No need to be scared........anything that happens to you has already happened to countless others on here........and they can get you right.  That's the cool thing about this site.......there's really nothing talked about that's "new", so it ends up being a treasure trove of real world knowledge without being PC or full of marketing BS.

regards,

bob

Reply by tmn86, on Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:34 pm
w30bob wrote:

Hi Tiffany,

No need to be scared........anything that happens to you has already happened to countless others on here........and they can get you right.  That's the cool thing about this site.......there's really nothing talked about that's "new", so it ends up being a treasure trove of real world knowledge without being PC or full of marketing BS.

regards,

bob

Thank you so much, I know it'll get better,it's just a trippy adjustment. 
I just got a tummy ache & ended up like this!

Tiffany

Baw
Reply by Baw, on Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:40 pm

I don't know if this will help you because I change my own bag.  I use the Coloplst half moon strips but still had problems. It is more or less solved by using Medicinal Adhesive that I spray on the waffer before applying it.  Really helps.  Coloplast also makes a " Y " shaped adhesive strip that is wider than the half moon shaped ones.  By the way, the adhesive comes off with the wafer and doesn't make it a whole lot harder to remove. Also, coloplast says the strips won't come off IN water.  Barbara

Reply by tmn86, on Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:08 pm
Baw wrote:

I don't know if this will help you because I change my own bag.  I use the Coloplst half moon strips but still had problems. It is more or less solved by using Medicinal Adhesive that I spray on the waffer before applying it.  Really helps.  Coloplast also makes a " Y " shaped adhesive strip that is wider than the half moon shaped ones.  By the way, the adhesive comes off with the wafer and doesn't make it a whole lot harder to remove. Also, coloplast says the strips won't come off IN water.  Barbara

Thank you so much I'm gonna go look @ the Coloplast site right now. 
I also heard they are more slim, maybe I can finally sleep on my side!!!

Baw
Reply by Baw, on Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:44 pm
tmn86 wrote:
Baw wrote:

SORRY!  The adhesive is made by ADAPT.  Don't know if Coloplast has any.

Reply by tmn86, on Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:53 pm
Baw wrote:
tmn86 wrote:
Baw wrote:

SORRY!  The adhesive is made by ADAPT.  Don't know if Coloplast has any.

Got it, thanks 

Reply by britathrt60, on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:51 am
tmn86 wrote:
britathrt60 wrote:

Cheers!

Ange

Thank you so much-

what kind of tape do you use? I can't imagine having to never take a bath again!

To be honest i use dollar store medical tape..right now im using packing tape..its only on for while you enjoy a nice bath.

Reply by tmn86, on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:49 am
britathrt60 wrote:
tmn86 wrote:
britathrt60 wrote:

Cheers!

Ange

Thank you so much-

To be honest i use dollar store medical tape..right now im using packing tape..its only on for while you enjoy a nice bath.

Haha-you're awesome ūüĎŹūüŹľ thank you !

Reply by TimeToGrow, on Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:57 pm

Do you use a convex barrier? I have a slight bulge around my stoma and switched to a convex barrier. Made all the difference.

Reply by tmn86, on Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:29 pm
Longroad78 wrote:

Hope this helps you out

Is there any other foods that have probiotics, I don't really drink kombucha. ?? Thank you ūüôŹūüŹľ¬†

Reply by tmn86, on Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:35 pm
TimeToGrow wrote:

Do you use a convex barrier? I have a slight bulge around my stoma and switched to a convex barrier. Made all the difference.

I don't , I use the hollister 2 piece but it's not working. So I'll try them! Thank you ūüė䬆

Reply by TimeToGrow, on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:27 pm
tmn86 wrote:
TimeToGrow wrote:

I don't , I use the hollister 2 piece but it's not working. So I'll try them! Thank you ūüė䬆

I would also recommend calling a few of the company's and asking for samples. I was supplied Hollister supplies in the hospital, so I just continued using them. After I switched to a convex barrier, I tried a few different companies and found I like convtec more. Good luck 

Reply by w30bob, on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:08 pm

Tmn,

You can get more targeted probiotics anywhere.  I buy mine at Walmart, as their store brand has similar strains to that of Culturelle.  I also used Align probiotics, but you should look for coupons for the name brands, as they're expensive. There's lots of research going on with probiotics and IBD, so you might want to ask your Gastro as well to see what they're aware of.

Regards,

Bob

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.