Weight Loss Tips for Colostomy Patients

Replies
Views
Collieflower

Hi folks.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, so bear with me. I got my colostomy on 07/30/20 (rectal cancer). I'm slowly gaining weight and want to nip it before it gets out of control. I'm struggling to find a new way of eating (all my old go-to foods are off limits now) and finding the right food for weight loss. Should I just stick with proteins primarily? Carbs are not my friend. I'm working on gaining back the muscle tone I lost and just bouncing back in general. Any tips/feedback are appreciated!

TerryLT

Hi Collieflower, I'm not sure why your old go-to foods would be off limits. You have a colostomy, not an ileostomy, right? Why wouldn't you be able to eat a normal diet? I have a colostomy and can eat anything. I would just recommend the same things anyone would do for weight loss or weight control. Lots of fruits and vegetables and whole grains that are high in fiber and therefore filling. Lean proteins, good fats. Unless there is some reason you can't eat those foods?

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,432 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Collieflower

Pre-cancer and colostomy, my diet was very high in fiber - lots of beans, greens, raw veggies with skins, maybe some chicken breast. Despite it being a colostomy, I don't seem to tolerate those things (aside from the chicken) as well as I'd like. I tend to experience an unusually high output when I eat these, which results in a sore stoma. I'm going to try to focus on my protein intake to see how that might change things. Thanks, Terry!

Collieflower

Pre-cancer and colostomy, my diet was very high in fiber - lots of beans, greens, raw veggies with skins, maybe some chicken breast. Despite it being a colostomy, I don't seem to tolerate those things (aside from the chicken) as well as I'd like. I tend to experience an unusually high output when I eat these, which results in a sore stoma. I'm going to try to focus on my protein intake to see how that might change things. Thanks, Terry!

Puppyluv56

Hey Collie,

I cannot tolerate large quantities of those fruits and veggies but give yourself some time. Your colon will adjust and you may be able to start eating some of those things you love to lose weight. Introduce them slowly to see how they do. In the meantime, high protein is a great option!
I know you are fairly new to the Ostomy world but you may be a candidate for irrigation. It can change your life. You do need to check with your doctor or Ostomy nurse. They usually want you to give your ostomy plenty of time to heal after your surgery. 4-6 months. Watch the YouTube videos. Just type in ostomy irrigation.
Take care,

Puppyluv

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hi Collieflower,

I think you're on the right track, just listen to your body and see what works. I think as Puppy said, down the road you might tolerate some other things. I have an ostomy too. I don't eat many beans or corn because of gas and digestion speeds. I do fine with most anything, but we're all different. If chicken gets boring, would fish work for you too? Let us know how things work out for you.

Take care...mtnman.

Past Member

Hi Collieflower,

One more thought: ground turkey can be used as a substitute for almost any ground beef dish.

I forgot nuts. I have to chew them up well because they exit the same as corn, etc.

Take care... mtnman.