Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Why so many ostomates in the UK?

Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:43 pm
This is a great community. Consider joining.

Is this a dating site???? Oh wow, hope my wife doesn't find out! I did try to do Bob's math on my fingers but got lost.

Seriously though, this is an interesting topic.

These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:29 pm

Uro2011 wrote:  

Wow I'm impressed Bob! You clearly missed your calling as a bean counter! 👍🏼

Hi Uro,

No, I didn't miss it.......I avoided it.  Cuz I hate veggies.........especially beans!  

;0)

PS....Ok, no wiseguys chiming in to say beans aren't veggies.......they're legumes.  Everyone knows that....you'll just ruin my joke!

Past Member
Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:50 am

Read a lot of reply's. Great post for thought. I also have noted alot of Canadians strange but I will add one thing, I wish I never knew I had the cancer causing my urostomy, then I could of just enjoyed how many years I had left w/o this that kept me alive. My mom bless her is alive at 90 she told me both grandad's had bladder cancer. One got the surgery and died years later. The other grandad also got bladder cancer in his 80's. My grandma said you are not putting him through this at his age. He lived to over 90 and outlived his wife. It makes me wonder if they could've treated me differently. I know it's better than the alternative but what is the alternative. Food for thought. Have a great day. 

Past Member
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:32 pm

Earth Angel wrote:  

I had asked my surgeon back when I was diagnosed with rectal cancer back in 2017 and he told me it was the processed foods we ate back in the 70's and 80's that causes polyps that turn to cancer. There is scientific proof for this theory.  Best to avoid bologna, bacon and other processed foods that are highly carcinogenic.  Not sure how healthy diets are in the UK, but here in the US many people still eat poorly.

Well at 65 I think I'll keep enjoying my bacon and cold cuts. Besides I was a urostomy. A whole issue by itself. Stay cool

Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:21 pm

w30bob wrote:

WIGirl77 wrote:  

i think it's a combo of health care access and diet.  diseases like Crohns and Ulcerative colitis for example are much less common in some areas of the globe compared to "western" countries, and those patterns are thought (not proven) to be driven at least in part by diet. Add in for profit health care in the US and people who need or could benefit from ostomies are potentially less likely to get them, especially if they are financially unable to attain them. 

Hi WIGirl,

Ya know........what you said may make sense, but in reverse.  Since an ostomy is the end result of things that didn't work.........I'm wondering if the actual treatment plans for our British friends is the same as it is here.  Meaning that maybe more Americans are having success with the expensive meds they're on, so as to not need an ostomy.........which would imply our friends across the pond don't have access to the same treatment plans, or drugs, as freely as we do.......and thus end up with Mr Shitbag.  It's not that people in the US are unlikely to get an ostomy..........I doubt there are hundreds of folks out there ready and waiting to get a shitbag if only their insurance would pay for it.........but maybe here in the US we have MORE access to the expensive meds that keep folks from needing an ostomy.  Typically for Crohn's and CD the routine is steroids, then immunosuppressents......and then biologics......and I don't know of any insurance here that won't keep to that.  But do our friends over yonder have the same access to the expensive stuff that we do?  I don't know.......just a thought.  This IS an interesting question, if I do say so myself.  You never really see comparisons of how people are treated for the same disease in different countries............at least I never have. But it would be good to know.........and also the outcomes from the different treatment plans.....to determine where best to get help for something you have.  And who to tell your doctor to start listening to!  

regards,

bob

What you mention access to the "expensive stuff", those meds may only be expensive in America, or far more expensive than they are elsewhere, because of the for-profit healthcare model in the US. In England, the NHS (national health service, paid for by a mandatory 12.25% tax in addition to our basic incone tax), buys meds in bulk and negotiates with pharmaceutical companies to supply meds at lower prices since they're primarily paid for by the state and they need the best price possible (aadults aged 16-65 aso pay a £10 "contribution" for a prescribed medicine, no matter what it is). We have access to lots of new drugs, but you're right about the state not financing some of the very new, niche formulations. Overall I think it's about access to "free" healthcare. Access is dreadful right now with waiting lists in the worst state in NHS history, but overall the system seem to works for more people than it fails. 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.