Why are there so many ostomates in the UK?

Replies
Views
GraphX12

Is this a dating site? Oh wow, hope my wife doesn't find out! I did try to do Bob's math on my fingers but got lost.

Seriously though, this is an interesting topic.

w30bob

Hi Uro,

No, I didn't miss it... I avoided it.   Cuz I hate veggies... especially beans!    

;0)

PS... Ok, no wiseguys chiming in to say beans aren't veggies... they're legumes.   Everyone knows that... you'll just ruin my joke!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,438 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Read a lot of replies. Great post for thought. I also have noted a lot of Canadians, strange but I will add one thing: I wish I never knew I had the cancer causing my urostomy, then I could have just enjoyed how many years I had left without this that kept me alive. My mom, bless her, is alive at 90. She told me both grandads had bladder cancer. One got the surgery and died years later. The other grandad also got bladder cancer in his 80s. My grandma said, "You are not putting him through this at his age." He lived to over 90 and outlived his wife. It makes me wonder if they could have treated me differently. I know it's better than the alternative, but what is the alternative? Food for thought. Have a great day.

Past Member

Well, at 65, I think I'll keep enjoying my bacon and cold cuts. Besides, I was a urostomy. A whole issue by itself. Stay cool.

Sarah_79
Reply to w30bob

When you mention access to the "expensive stuff," those meds may only be expensive in America or far more expensive than they are elsewhere because of the for-profit healthcare model in the US. In England, the NHS (National Health Service, paid for by a mandatory 12.25% tax in addition to our basic income tax) buys meds in bulk and negotiates with pharmaceutical companies to supply meds at lower prices since they're primarily paid for by the state and they need the best price possible (adults aged 16-65 also pay a £10 "contribution" for a prescribed medicine, no matter what it is). We have access to lots of new drugs, but you're right about the state not financing some of the very new, niche formulations. Overall, I think it's about access to "free" healthcare. Access is dreadful right now with waiting lists in the worst state in NHS history, but overall the system seems to work for more people than it fails.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister