Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

No output so far 24 hrs.. is it YIKES yet?

Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:43 pm

Nope don't feel blocked.  No cramping at all.  I seem to have a large output one day, medium the next, small the next but never nothing.  Since this is all new to me I have no idea ....do we all have our own normal?  And yes I take miralax daily.  

These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Past Member
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:12 pm

Hi Gimo, 

Yes we're all a little different but taking mirilax you should be covered. It's a matter of eating enough fiber in your diet too.

Last week I got a blockage and it hurt extremely in my ribs and navel level across my stomach. Oh it was painful you don't want that. I didn't go to the ER because the last time they didn't know much about ostomy challenges so I tufted it out and took laxatives for 3 days. So it's in your diet and or mirilax. Ask your ostomy nurses and they'll tell you something similar. 

Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:46 pm

Gimo I have gone three days without what I would say is a normal movement. I may have a small amount but after three days I would take a laxitive. A nurse reccomended taking Senna it is a natural laxative. I am now taking a fiber pill and Clearlax  It is as good as Mirolax and a lot cheaper, my output is better now.

Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:10 am

Hello Gimo.

As has already been said, we are all different in output. In my case I went for years being regular as clockwork on a daily basis. Nowadays it is much more hit and miss, with some days no output at all and other days excessive output. Sometimes I get pain, but with patience, I usually find that this is caused by trapped wind rather than anything more serious. There are advantages and disadvantages in taking laxatives. I had a voilent adverse reaction to Senna, so I now take a relatively mild (prescribed) daily dose of Ducosate, which mostly works but sometimes doesn't. I have found that careful control on diet can help a lot but even that has its problems. when I think I have too much of a problem I fall back on Metamucil as a last resort. That usually 'works' - but tends to lead to a 'messy' clean-up. 

I irrigate on a daily basis, so would not really expect to be having this conversation about problems with output, but there you go! that's the price we pay for managing our waste in this way. I would also add that it was much worse before I had the stoma- so we just get on and make the most of it. 

I also envy those who have no problems at all.

Best wishes

Bill

Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:18 pm

Bil I thought you had posted awhile back about  irrigating, and you didn't have any output for several days. Maybe I've got the wrong person.

Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:13 pm

Bill wrote:  

Hello Gimo.

As has already been said, we are all different in output. In my case I went for years being regular as clockwork on a daily basis. Nowadays it is much more hit and miss, with some days no output at all and other days excessive output. Sometimes I get pain, but with patience, I usually find that this is caused by trapped wind rather than anything more serious. There are advantages and disadvantages in taking laxatives. I had a voilent adverse reaction to Senna, so I now take a relatively mild (prescribed) daily dose of Ducosate, which mostly works but sometimes doesn't. I have found that careful control on diet can help a lot but even that has its problems. when I think I have too much of a problem I fall back on Metamucil as a last resort. That usually 'works' - but tends to lead to a 'messy' clean-up. 

I irrigate on a daily basis, so would not really expect to be having this conversation about problems with output, but there you go! that's the price we pay for managing our waste in this way. I would also add that it was much worse before I had the stoma- so we just get on and make the most of it. 

I also envy those who have no problems at all.

Best wishes

Bill

Hi Bill,  I have tried to irrigate but the water just won't go in.  Still no output and still no cramping or feeling blocked.  Don't really want to be up all night if there she blows, so will take a mild laxative at bedtime if nothing ..

Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:21 am

Gimo wrote:  

Hi Bill,  I have tried to irrigate but the water just won't go in.  Still no output and still no cramping or feeling blocked.  Don't really want to be up all night if there she blows, so will take a mild laxative at bedtime if nothing ..

Hello Gimo.

There may be a number of reasons why the water will not go in when irrigating, so I would suggest that a discussion with a soma nurse might be useful in trying to find out the cause. In my case, the nurse poked a finger in my stoma and concluded that I had a persitomal hernia, which was blocking the passage. Being of an inquisitive nature, i too poed a finger in there and concluded that the problem was only an inch or so into the passageway and beyond that the path was clear. 

I adapted an anal catheter and  attached it to a pressurised water container ( A garden sprayer! ) so that the tube would push past the obstruction and the water would have enough pressure to be effective. Interestingly, this method is much the same as they use for anal irrigation and tends to push waste out while water is still going in. There are water pressure irrigators on the market (see my critique on the  'Braun' one), but they are quite expensive and still use the cone system. Anyway, I enjoy the DIY approach.

I usually issue a warning to anyone who wants to try the same stuff that I do - poking arond in your stoma carries its own 'risks' so be very careful!

Best wishes

Bill  

Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:29 pm

Bill wrote:  

Hello Gimo.

There may be a number of reasons why the water will not go in when irrigating, so I would suggest that a discussion with a soma nurse might be useful in trying to find out the cause. In my case, the nurse poked a finger in my stoma and concluded that I had a persitomal hernia, which was blocking the passage. Being of an inquisitive nature, i too poed a finger in there and concluded that the problem was only an inch or so into the passageway and beyond that the path was clear. 

I adapted an anal catheter and  attached it to a pressurised water container ( A garden sprayer! ) so that the tube would push past the obstruction and the water would have enough pressure to be effective. Interestingly, this method is much the same as they use for anal irrigation and tends to push waste out while water is still going in. There are water pressure irrigators on the market (see my critique on the  'Braun' one), but they are quite expensive and still use the cone system. Anyway, I enjoy the DIY approach.

I usually issue a warning to anyone who wants to try the same stuff that I do - poking arond in your stoma carries its own 'risks' so be very careful!

Best wishes

Bill  

I am told to dilate my stoma at least twice three times a week.  I am not sure what it is I am feeling hope it is not a hernia.  Since my stoma is just below skin level I don't have a rosebud which would make it so much easier.  My surgeon is willing to try some surgery on it but I have decided against it.  I finally have a pouch that stays longer than  1 day so that is less stress.  

I finally after coffee juice and Clear lax got to moving along today after a 2 day shut down. It was nice that this time I didn't stress about it.  I had no pain and was not blocked .  This has been the hardest thing for me to wrap my head around having a bag. I know there will come a day when it becomes routine and easier

Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:32 pm

Bill wrote:  

Hello Gimo.

Best wishes

Bill  

yikes I didn't read that very well.  As an old nurse I don't think using pressure inside your bowel is a good idea.  There is a reason they say to put the bag at your shoulder height so that it goes in gently.  Colons burst so please be careful.  

Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:54 pm

Mtnman wrote:  

Hi Gimo, 

Yes we're all a little different but taking mirilax you should be covered. It's a matter of eating enough fiber in your diet too.

Last week I got a blockage and it hurt extremely in my ribs and navel level across my stomach. Oh it was painful you don't want that. I didn't go to the ER because the last time they didn't know much about ostomy challenges so I tufted it out and took laxatives for 3 days. So it's in your diet and or mirilax. Ask your ostomy nurses and they'll tell you something similar. 

Hi Mtn man,  I am not sure if I responded.  Thank you for the info and it is good to know we don't have to run off  to ER when we get blocked.  I am trying to learn how to navigate this site.  I will figure it out. Have a great day.  God bless...

Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:39 am

lovely wrote:  

Bil I thought you had posted awhile back about  irrigating, and you didn't have any output for several days. Maybe I've got the wrong person.

Hello Lovely.
My memory of the past can no longer be relied upon but, as far as I recall, the longest I have been without any significant output is two days.
The problem with making such a statement is that there is always output of water with irrigation, but if there is no accompanying faeces material, then I would count that as 'no output'. Anyway, on the occasion in question, I had been extremely ill with sickness and diarrhoea, so presumably, my colon was completely empty and, as I didn't feel like eating the next day, there would have been nothing to expel. With that sort of logical explanation, I considered the situation nothing significant to worry about.

Best wishes
Bill

Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:04 am

Gimo wrote:

Bill wrote:  

Hello Gimo.

Best wishes

Bill  

I am told to dilate my stoma at least twice three times a week.  I am not sure what it is I am feeling hope it is not a hernia.  Since my stoma is just below skin level I don't have a rosebud which would make it so much easier.  My surgeon is willing to try some surgery on it but I have decided against it.  I finally have a pouch that stays longer than  1 day so that is less stress.  

I finally after coffee juice and Clear lax got to moving along today after a 2 day shut down. It was nice that this time I didn't stress about it.  I had no pain and was not blocked .  This has been the hardest thing for me to wrap my head around having a bag. I know there will come a day when it becomes routine and easier

I'm new at this ostomy bag and stoma but I'm finding out not to fret if I have a day of rest with no output. I hit day 2 then I will take Mirilax which works within 6 hours it starts producing. Then it may go over board and keep coming and I'm cleaning out bag. I'm learning not to worry so much. Each person is different. Even before surgery some had their routines. Good luck and try not to worry.

Mamasan

Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:06 pm

Mamasan wrote:

I'm new at this ostomy bag and stoma but I'm finding out not to fret if I have a day of rest with no output. I hit day 2 then I will take Mirilax which works within 6 hours it starts producing. Then it may go over board and keep coming and I'm cleaning out bag. I'm learning not to worry so much. Each person is different. Even before surgery some had their routines. Good luck and try not to worry.

Mamasan

Hi Mamasan,  that is what my kids call me.  Mostly Mama...  well I have had a few infections kidney, gut etc and last week went 4 days with nothing.  I did not worry nor did I think I had a blockage because I didn't.  Then had a good day of filling the bag and then 3 days more of nothing.  Today it is working again.  My doctor asked me to use citracel daily so I have been.  I have been vomiting so not eating anywhere as much as prior.  I know if I am getting backed up due to being able to feel it piling up behind my stoma.  Hasn't been like that.  I am still not going to worry as it doesn't do any good.  I have worried all my life about nonsense or out of my control issues and I am pretty done with it.  

Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:39 am

Gimo wrote:

Hi Mamasan,  that is what my kids call me.  Mostly Mama...  well I have had a few infections kidney, gut etc and last week went 4 days with nothing.  I did not worry nor did I think I had a blockage because I didn't.  Then had a good day of filling the bag and then 3 days more of nothing.  Today it is working again.  My doctor asked me to use citracel daily so I have been.  I have been vomiting so not eating anywhere as much as prior.  I know if I am getting backed up due to being able to feel it piling up behind my stoma.  Hasn't been like that.  I am still not going to worry as it doesn't do any good.  I have worried all my life about nonsense or out of my control issues and I am pretty done with it.  

Thank you Gimo for promting yet anther verse: I cannot think why I have not written about this subject before, but there is always something that will slip through the net. ( but now it will notbe  this one!)

Best wishes

Bill

WORRY.

When I am troubled and concerned,
one of the things that I have learned,
is, worry doesn’t put things right
as many people think it might.

To be anxious or to fret,
is not a state in which to get,
for that does not resolve what’s wrong
but makes it last for far too long.

Worry can be a heavy yoke
for naive, or unwary folk,
but, I’ll not be an internee
when something deems to bother me.

No need for me to count those sheep
For I’ll make sure I don’t lose sleep
from worrying about that stuff
that falsely claims to be too tough.

Worry can tend to mesmerise,
but there’s no need to agonise
on every little thing in life
as that exacerbates the strife.

Don’t let my mind be in a hurry
to create a state of worry,
for I have found that in my past
it won’t happen or won’t last.

An antidote that I find works,
when something bothers me and irks,
is to logically think things through
until I find what’s really true.

For logic is the thing I find
controls emotions, calms the mind,
and sets us on a stable path
without emotional aftermath.

B. Withers 2021

Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:25 pm

Bill wrote:

Thank you Gimo for promting yet anther verse: I cannot think why I have not written about this subject before, but there is always something that will slip through the net. ( but now it will notbe  this one!)

Best wishes

Bill

WORRY.

B. Withers 2021

That is really good.  I wrote a poem about Valentines and worry.  All of my poems are trapped in an old lap top.  What happens when you get a new laptop is when you try n transfer your work it needs another program or the new program won't support it.  I might try a new toy I bought that supposed to refresh n start your computer.  I even have a 132 page book that took me almost a year to finish.  The only copy I have is the first write not the finished work.  Oh well it was memories of my Chaplain days and all the awesome thing I was able to witness.  Then I made my own Bible studies for all my groups and actually used Bible verses a novel idea.  Anyway, oh I think I might have remembered at least part of my poem.  

Twilight Bliss

Wandering into twilight bliss

hand in hand wondering should they kiss

a wave of doubt comes in a hurry

thinking maybe there is no hurry

For if they kiss they both know

that down the road to love they'll go

worry worry worry

now the mood is gone.

Linda

Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:31 pm

Gimo wrote:

You're a trooper! I see you know your body well. I'm learning a lot since utilizing this site. Love it and everyone who cares. I'm not alone anymore. Good luck and don't fret. It all works out in the end.

mamasan

Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:36 pm

Bill wrote:

Best wishes

Bill

WORRY.

B. Withers 2021

I was looking thru some poems and want to share this one.

DIVORCE

I WANTED HIM 

HE WANTED HER

WHAT IN THE WORLD

WERE WE TO DO.

CONJURED UP A PLAN

I'D GIVE UP MY MAN

BUT NOT BEFORE

I SHOT HER DEAD

THEN WHAT WAS

HE TO DO.

BY Linda

Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:42 am

Gimo wrote:

I was looking thru some poems and want to share this one.

DIVORCE

I WANTED HIM 

HE WANTED HER

WHAT IN THE WORLD

WERE WE TO DO.

CONJURED UP A PLAN

I'D GIVE UP MY MAN

BUT NOT BEFORE

I SHOT HER DEAD

THEN WHAT WAS

HE TO DO.

BY Linda

Hello Gimo.
I do like the poem and, that understandable, underlying sentiment has been shared with me by many people (usually women) in similar positions.
I usually counsel against killing or harming people who have done someone wrong, as this could lead to the ‘victim’ being a perpetrator, who may well be punished for their reactions.

Writing (or finding) poems like you have, is a great way to express your inner feelings without acting upon them. As the words to the song goes “You can’t go to jail for what you’re thinking!”
I have written quite a number of rhymes about divorce and the ‘covert-bullying’ that precedes it, only to carry on during and after the process. However, the behaviour prior to divorce is probably just as important in understanding what is amiss, than the divorce itself. So, I will leave you with just a couple of rhymes (from many), that focus on the affairs that lead up to the divorce.
Best wishes
Bill

ADULTERY.

The trouble with adultery
it circumvents that boundary
between a couple who have vowed
that extra sex is not allowed.

So, whilst the partner does not know
and the cheating does not show,
affairs continue undiminished
and are rarely ever finished.

Adulterers will lie and cheat
and there’s no end to their deceit,
so, by the time that they’re found out
there is much more to fight about.

Partner’s who’ve been betrayed this way
have choices to depart or stay.
But if they decide to choose the latter
all the other deceits will matter.

How can one build that trust again?
Will you get over all that pain?
And is it worth the effort to
turn around and start anew?

When once someone has two-timed you
‘specially if you hadn’t a clue,
your partner’s done what is taboo
and that might change your point of view.

Playing the field becomes a game,
so maybe they will be the same
with whoever they befriend
when once on this disloyal trend.

Maybe adulterers should know
it’s likely that partners will go,
and they’ll be left to count the cost
of all the stable things they’ve lost.

B. Withers 2020
                                              (in Bullying 4) 

AFFAIRS.

There’s nothing like a love affair
to demonstrate a lack of care
about a past relationship,
a friendship or companionship.

Sometimes, when friendships do not last
they are consigned into one’s past,
and that is more acceptable
than affairs which are despicable.

Affairs mean that one carries-on
behind the back of that someone
with whom you’ve an understanding
and some stuff that’s still outstanding.

It matters not if you have vowed,
or if you’ve simply both allowed
an understanding between the two
to grow into an accepted view.

Relationships are based on trust,
and an affair just based on lust
must rock it to the very core
and leave the victim feeling sore.

For, it can matter quite a lot
if a relationship you’ve got
is undermined because your spouse
turns out to be a cheating louse.

Plus, I feel it’s such a shame
that perpetrators lay the blame
upon the ones that they have harmed
rather than those whom they have charmed.

So often, children pay the price
when someone thinks to sacrifice
a relationship for an affair,
and feel that it is somehow fair.

B. Withers 2020
                                     (in Bullying 4)

Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:01 pm

Bill wrote:

Hello Gimo.
I do like the poem and, that understandable, underlying sentiment has been shared with me by many people (usually women) in similar positions.
I usually counsel against killing or harming people who have done someone wrong, as this could lead to the ‘victim’ being a perpetrator, who may well be punished for their reactions.

Writing (or finding) poems like you have, is a great way to express your inner feelings without acting upon them. As the words to the song goes “You can’t go to jail for what you’re thinking!”
I have written quite a number of rhymes about divorce and the ‘covert-bullying’ that precedes it, only to carry on during and after the process. However, the behaviour prior to divorce is probably just as important in understanding what is amiss, than the divorce itself. So, I will leave you with just a couple of rhymes (from many), that focus on the affairs that lead up to the divorce.
Best wishes
Bill

ADULTERY.

The trouble with adultery
it circumvents that boundary
between a couple who have vowed
that extra sex is not allowed.

So, whilst the partner does not know
and the cheating does not show,
affairs continue undiminished
and are rarely ever finished.

Adulterers will lie and cheat
and there’s no end to their deceit,
so, by the time that they’re found out
there is much more to fight about.

Partner’s who’ve been betrayed this way
have choices to depart or stay.
But if they decide to choose the latter
all the other deceits will matter.

How can one build that trust again?
Will you get over all that pain?
And is it worth the effort to
turn around and start anew?

When once someone has two-timed you
‘specially if you hadn’t a clue,
your partner’s done what is taboo
and that might change your point of view.

Playing the field becomes a game,
so maybe they will be the same
with whoever they befriend
when once on this disloyal trend.

Maybe adulterers should know
it’s likely that partners will go,
and they’ll be left to count the cost
of all the stable things they’ve lost.

B. Withers 2020
                                              (in Bullying 4) 

AFFAIRS.

There’s nothing like a love affair
to demonstrate a lack of care
about a past relationship,
a friendship or companionship.

Sometimes, when friendships do not last
they are consigned into one’s past,
and that is more acceptable
than affairs which are despicable.

Affairs mean that one carries-on
behind the back of that someone
with whom you’ve an understanding
and some stuff that’s still outstanding.

It matters not if you have vowed,
or if you’ve simply both allowed
an understanding between the two
to grow into an accepted view.

Relationships are based on trust,
and an affair just based on lust
must rock it to the very core
and leave the victim feeling sore.

For, it can matter quite a lot
if a relationship you’ve got
is undermined because your spouse
turns out to be a cheating louse.

Plus, I feel it’s such a shame
that perpetrators lay the blame
upon the ones that they have harmed
rather than those whom they have charmed.

So often, children pay the price
when someone thinks to sacrifice
a relationship for an affair,
and feel that it is somehow fair.

B. Withers 2020
                                     (in Bullying 4)

I found a stash of poems from way back when.  I now if I have the time will paint or study.  I love doing both.  My newest study is comparing the Book Of Enoch with the Bible. My sister has requested a three series painting for her new living room.  Of course the color she wants doesn't exist so it will make it a bit tougher.  Have you ever started a page just for poems?

Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:49 am

Hello Gimo.
It is interesting that you are moving from writing poetry to painting and studying. For me it has been a different sequence in that I began with painting but found that I became to ‘enthusiastic’/obsessive with it and couldn’t stop for food or sleep. This is what motivated me to swap painting for poetry, where I can complete a rhyme in time for my next meal (or bed).
As for studying, I started with that way back in the late 60’s, when the Open University first set out their philosophy of providing higher education for ‘anyone’ (Even those of us that had not had a decent basic education). The main thing I learned from completing my degrees with them was that the education system is biased towards social and political manipulation of those people who can ‘remember’ stuff (The exams are based on remembering what other people have deemed to be the ‘right’ answers to their own questions).
I have never been good at ‘remembering’, so inevitably, I did not do well in the basic level educational system because I used to make up my own questions and answers – which often were not the ones that they wanted or deemed ‘right’.
However, nature has a unique way of compensating when one attribute is missing, by replacing it with something different. I was always good at thinking things through for myself. Hence, when it came to higher level studies, I excelled. I went on to do my own research, in my own way, with my own results. Eventually, this became recognised as ‘acceptable’ to enough individuals in the system to achieve recognition, but it really never meant that much compared to the recognition by the ‘subjects’ of my research. (these were people who had been ‘victims’ of the system and of other types of manipulation/exploitation and bullying). Thus, most of my rhymes have reflected the views of the ‘underdogs’ and I have continued my research into the inequities of the ‘system’ to this day.
As for ‘starting a page just for poems’: All my rhymes have been documented in books, so in that sense they are already on a page (or, in a findable ‘stash’). Although my own perspective is that: Poetry should be read as it is written, (i.e.) one rhyme at a time- over an extended time. This way the reader is more likely to take in, and ponder on the meaning portrayed, rather than too quickly moving on to the next concept. Most of my rhymes have been written specifically for each individual who has told me their story, so the rhymes are given to them as a ‘feedback’ mechanism, which has often been found to be beneficial and therapeutic.
However, in the context of rhymes largely relating to ostomates, the Admin on this site has deemed it appropriate to gather some of my rhymes together in one place. They can be found in ‘Collections’ at the top of the page.
I hope this provides you with an overview of my own journey with regard to the three activities you mention.
I do hope that your own journey will be as productive, successful, and enjoyable as mine has been.

Best wishes
Bill

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.