Recipe for Homemade Deodorizing Lubricant?

Replies
Views
Past Member

Good morning everyone!

I am looking for a 'recipe' for homemade deodorizing lubricant for my pouch if anyone has one they can share.

Thanks!

AlexT

Lavender-scented baby oil?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

That's a good idea! Thanks!

lovely
Reply to AlexT

That is what I use

Riva

Try popping in a few peppermint Altoids. They really work...

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member
Reply to Riva

Good idea, thanks!

Artsy Lady
Reply to AlexT

It's my understanding that oil will weaken the adhesive.

Anyone else?

Artsy Lady

As I mentioned above, I'd be careful about using any oil-based product. That said, I have been adding peppermint essential oil to my "lubricant" for about 3 years. It only takes 5 or 6 drops per bottle and seems to help. The very small amount of essential oil doesn't affect the adhesive.

Past Member
Reply to Artsy Lady

Good to know, thanks! I have lots of essential oils on hand.

Past Member

I found this on a very old post: mix 1 part water-based lubricant (KY or similar), 1 part mouthwash, and 4 parts water in a bottle.

Has anyone tried this?

nelajimenez

Hi!! You can try putting an aspirin into your bag in any change (I use the cheaper ones from the dollar store). Some of my friends use Altoids candies, Tic-tac candies, or Vanilla Extract.

I've been trying internal deodorant days ago and I'm very happy (Wheat Grass powder supplement into my morning juice), it works amazing during the day.

Yourfriend
Reply to AlexT

I use mouthwash.

Stomadare11

During times with less output like in the middle of the night, add a teaspoon of baking soda. Believe me, it works wonders at absorbing odors.

Past Member
Reply to Stomadare11

Thanks, I will try it.

Artsy Lady
Reply to Anonymous

No, but can't you get lubricant/deodorizer liquid from your ostomy supplier? My insurance covers it. Mine is unscented, which is why I add the peppermint oil.

Past Member
Reply to Artsy Lady

I can get it. Just thought I would make my own.

Artsy Lady

Frozen, oh no! Sorry about not having insurance, in that case I'd probably make my own too.

The ingredients in mine are: water, salt, cellulose, and proprietary ion mix (whatever that is). Sounds pretty simple.

Ionized water? Psyllium husk might work in place of the cellulose. Or possibly ground chia seeds. To make it "slippery". Salt would help with controlling bacterial growth. So would a high-quality essential oil that is known to kill bacteria. The main concern is making sure it won't cause bacterial contamination.

Past Member

I make my own sprays (room sprays, insect repellent sprays, etc) so I figured I could do this as well. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

lovely
Reply to Stomadare11

I haven't tried this but it should work. I have and sure a lot of people put an open box in the fridge and freezer to absorb odors.