Help! Clear slimy liquid causing flange issues

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses solutions to managing clear slimy liquid that causes flange issues for individuals with an ostomy.
GASGIRL

Please someone help!

Friends, I had a colostomy on May 6th and have been experiencing a clear, slimy type lubricant coming from my stoma. It is so much that I have not been able to get any flange to stick. I have used barriers, paste, powder, and nothing works! I use a convex flange and it still pops up, allowing output to surround the stoma and irritate my skin. I went to the wound care nurse and she said I might have to speak with my doctor, so I did. Of course, as you would know it, I didn't have much slime then! His nurse treated me like a child and proceeded to put a new setup on me while complaining that she just can't understand why people can't get it. And of course, within an hour, it was popped up again! Has anyone had to deal with this problem? Thanks!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,094 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I don't know if I can help because I am new, but I can try. My stoma is only 6 days old. Mine is a sigmoid too. The only output I have at the moment is yellow and slimy, which is a bit unpleasant. Before I put my bag on, I have been using a barrier film wipe and that seems to help me. x

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
MIRIAMSONA34

Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:18 pm
Hi Gasgirl, I know how you feel, but I had an ileostomy back in 2013 for emergency reasons and am currently waiting for a reversal, but in the beginning my surgeon did not tell me much. I had to find out for myself by experimenting, but one thing my stoma nurse told me in the first few months is to make sure I eat one thing every day with salt in it as you will be losing salt from your stoma and this will make you feel lethargic if not replaced. I started eating one pack of ready salted crisps every day because of this and this made a major difference to my energy levels. If you are now facing the prospect of endless products to use, here is something I hope will help. Ok :>

To prevent leaks, why not order flange extenders by Brava who also do the powder and spray that is in your video. I use them and I have not had a leak since, so try them and see how you go. I also know that Brava also has wipes that help when you have sore skin called cleansing wipes and they help cool the skin around your stoma and that you get 3 packets in a box. Also, ask your delivery company if they have mattress protectors for your bed in case of leaks in the night and also if they have complimentary bed protector sheets as I use these when I change my bag. I tuck one end just inside my underwear and let the remaining rest on my bed with all the other bits I need around when changing, and then when finished, I wrap the sheet tight with the old bag inside and then put it in the disposable bags that go in the bin. Also, if your seals are no good, then try Hollister's "CERA RINGS" as I have just started to use them and I have found that they are better than any other seal that I have used, which is why I told I no longer suffer from leaks. Hope this helps:> P.S. The flange extenders by Brava are actually called "Brava Tape". I only have an occasional leak but nothing major, but I was told by a Fellow Ostomate, which is what they call us people with stomas, to always try new products and not to rely on one product because over time there is always something better if you develop problems later down the line.

This is what I do now, as I have a parastomal hernia alongside my stoma. Therefore, I have to alternate between two types of bags, one which has the biggest baseplate you can get for the two-piece and then I have my standard size baseplate, and this works as I do not get used to one type.

Anyway, I hope this helps and just take it easy. It took me seven months to get back to normal. Keep a diary so that you can see what foods make your output thick/thin and also what reacts with your bowel that will cause you pain. This way it will help you avoid foods that cause you grief. Take care, Sister Ostomate. :>

GASGIRL
Reply to MIRIAMSONA34

Thank you so much!

GASGIRL
Reply to Anonymous

Thanks so much!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ron in mich

Hi Gasgirl, are you making sure the skin is dry around your stoma? That will make a difference in how well the appliance sticks. Also, the size of the hole in the wafer should be such that it almost touches your stoma. The stoma will change size as you heal, so you should check to see if it's shrinking. Good luck.

pkm

Try a protective sheet by Brava right next to your skin, then use a barrier wipe, then apply the flange. Really worked wonders for me. Be sure to use adhesive remover spray when removing the protective sheet. They really stick. And they come off better if they are dry so don't shower with it on.