Navigating Ileostomy and Hiatus Hernia Diet Challenges

Replies
Views
AngelRose

A year on and I'm still not sure what the best things to eat... My diet is very minimal and because I have also hiatus hernia with constant GERD.... So I have to watch what I eat with that too!....

I love mushrooms but I'm told not to eat them

Salad...

Most food I love seems to be a no-no ... lol

Beth22

Hi there,

I too have a hiatal hernia and GERD along with gastritis and gastroparesis... Have you figured out what has been best for you? Or if you need any suggestions I can throw some at you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ben38

Don't knock it till you try it!

I don't know anything about hiatus hernias, but as for food, I've had an ileostomy for over 30 years and the only thing I can't eat is pineapple. That's not to say you and others could eat it problem-free.

Try everything in small portions. Then, if it were to cause a problem, it would be short-lived. You can't spend the rest of your life living in fear of food just because you read that someone else had a problem with it once.

IGGIE

Just keep away from cardamom seeds when making a curry. I had a blockage with one but now I just crush them first and still enjoy a curry. As for mushrooms, just peel them first and chew. Regards

Iggie x

AngelRose
Reply to Beth22

I am still on a learning curve.... I know that chocolate can be a trigger... fruit juice.... Funny enough strong chemical smell aggravate it too. Any tips you have feel free to share I would be grateful.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Redondo

I also have GERD, gastritis, as well as hiatal hernia. I take an antacid tablet every morning. If I feel I have had too much food or spicy food in the evening, I will take another one before bed. This helps a lot.

I don't eat mushrooms or corn because I don't digest them and have a problem with leakage from ileostomy. But, physically, they don't upset my stomach. The same with most vegetables unless they are well-cooked and I keep to a minimum.

Chocolate in the evening is a no. It will cause GERD. Plus, I try not to eat too late in the evening before bed.

Hope that helps.

Doe1mama

My husband has had an ileostomy for 9 months and we followed the advice of everyone here. Try small portions of food. He is able to eat everything he did before. The only things we haven't tried yet are corn and nuts. Of course, we did discover what creates more gas and will avoid those items if going out. He too has GERD and periodically will take an antacid every other day.

sassygrl3000

I had the worst blockage due to mushrooms. I watched a cooking show where they made stuffed mushrooms and I decided to try. I did not slice. I was just popping the button mushrooms in my mouth and sometime later I started to feel uneasy. I was drinking lots of fluid and my tummy noises/pain were unbearable. After drinking tea, putting my finger down my throat, stretching, etc., I was practically in tears and nothing was digesting and I could feel all the water bloating me. I was ready to go to the E.R. I decided to make myself sick again and it finally worked. One of the worst food experiences in my life since my stoma/illeo. I will only eat very thinly sliced pizza mushrooms and well cooked. Whew!