Ostomy Bag Cover: Muffling Sounds and Privacy

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

Does anyone use an ostomy bag cover? I just ordered one off of Amazon. I am looking for something to muffle the sounds of crinkling that the pouch makes. It sounds like plastic because of course it is. Also, I don't really want to share with the world what is in my pouch at any given time. Others think it's worth the money?

Lee

Past Member

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,462 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mr.Heart2Win

https://www.stomagear.com/products/stomashield

I used that one in the beginning, the best of a few I tried. I bought it so it would go over the stoma and under the belt, my stoma is right under the belt area. And also for the sound, it diminishes it somewhat but does not silence it completely, just helps with the sound, doesn't eliminate it.

I don't use it anymore because I changed my diet, I know my digestion well, lost weight, and got this really cool belt-like thing I bought so no need for a belt anymore. Changing my diet, losing weight, and learning my digestion really well fixed 90% of my these issues.

I have worn a few models from different makers and I don't remember any of them making any of that crinkling sound. This stoma guard also creates a bit of space between the stoma and anyone touching it or feeling it, it makes the bag be less conspicuous also when there is gas in it. Having lost weight, I don't need it anymore but it helped me when I weighed more, helped me hide it then somewhat and not stick out, especially when there was gas.

I work remotely now, I wore it daily when I worked on-site, other than work I could care less if anyone hears it out in the real world, Sunday during a silent mass maybe lol. I make very little sounds however, I have gas but not the sounds. I rarely 'fart' which is just being lucky with this particular stoma, some make sounds constantly and I can see where that can be an issue. I would get something like this in that case. Good luck, hope you find something that satisfies you.

w30bob

Hi Lee,

If you're talking about the newer transparent bags from Hollister... they are VERY noisy! Others have complained about it on here, as did I when they first introduced them a year or three ago. My first thought about your problem is why stick with the clear bag at all? The opaque bag they make is made of a much quieter rubberized material and no one will see what's in it. Obviously if YOU need to see what's in it then it won't work. Bags from other vendors... I was using Sensura Mio before my revision... are very quiet... so have you considered changing brands?

As for the bag covers... most you buy are made of a very light material. So I'm not sure they'll quiet down the crinkling sounds very much. I used to make my own too. It's very easy and you can pick any material you want... including heavier noise hiding types. Probably the best material to keep the noise down would be neoprene, like they use in wetsuits. It's a bit harder to sew because of its thickness, but not impossible. And it's fairly cheap when you consider you make a number of covers out of yard of material. Something like a Stealth Belt would also help with the noise, their neoprene version being quieter than the spandex version. I'm not sure you want to wear the neoprene version all day though, as I seem to remember it was originally intended for extreme sports and not for 24/7 wear. But I haven't checked out their stuff in awhile... so maybe things have changed.

Let us know what you decide, as there's lots of folks on here who'd like to know how it goes... who don't like the crinkly noise either!!

Regards,

;O)

AlexT

I tried bag covers when I first got mine. No bueno for me. They'd slide off easily and were a pain to keep putting back on. I went to an Ostomysecrets wrap or a Stealthbelt and have never tried just a bag cover since.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member
Reply to AlexT

w30bob
Reply to Anonymous

J.....Are you calling Alex a girl? That's not nice. Sure, he has a feminine side.........but I doubt his bag covers are pink or have doily fringe on them. They're probably black with He-Man or Castle Greyskull on them, or dark blue with Optimus Prime's face on 'em.

Right Alex?

;O)

AlexT
Reply to w30bob

Lol. Yep.

Hisbiscus

BaoBoo
Reply to AlexT

I have a stoma belt, but the size does not match my stoma bag size. It costs almost $100 to ship to Canada and there are not good points:

1: the belt will move up, if too tight it will not be too comfortable, and causing the content to become pancake all the time.
2: it absorbs the smell of a couple of days.

So, I only wear it when I have a big time to hang out with friends unknowing my condition.

Now, hanging the bag outside of my pants is my way.

infinitycastle52777
Reply to w30bob

I tried the bag cover and it fell off several times. It did not muffle the sound at all. So it was money wasted. I just in the last three weeks found out about the opaque bags. I am using that now. Much less crinkle sound. Sometimes though I feel bad that I can't see my stoma, as I used to look at it a few times a day just to see what it was looking like. (A few times I caught it in the act of pooping!!) So now the only time I see my stoma is when I do a shower and bag change. I can sure hear it though, very noisy gas blower! I do have to look at the output when I empty the bag though because sometimes it spits out some of my medication. (Actually I am going to have to change my anti-depressant because it just will not absorb). So not being able to see in the bag, I have to watch more closely when I empty the bag. I would recommend the opaque bags though because you can't see the output and if you accidentally (or on purse) show someone your bag they don't see the contents. Also, strangely enough, I feel cleaner with the opaque bag. Just because the mess isn't viewable through the bag.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Reply to AlexT

Yeah, I had lots of trouble keeping the bag cover on. I think in part because I have to wear a belt and the cover wouldn't slide over the part where the belt was connected to the bag. I even had it fall off while I was volunteering one time, how embarrassing that was!

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Reply to BaoBoo

I have heard of stealth belts but I was afraid that they would cause pancaking. So I haven't ventured to buy one. Now that I use the opaque bags I don't worry as much about covering up the bag. Initially, I was using a high volume clear bag that was very clunky and visible under my clothes. I don't need a high volume bag anymore so I am able to have the much smaller opaque bag. (Although the other day I could have used the high volume bag as the output reached 2450cc, one of my highest daily amounts yet.)

Lee