Recovering from Rotator Cuff Surgery: Need Advice and Wisdom

Replies
Views
jeanneskindle
Jul 09, 2023 8:03 pm

I hope there's some wisdom on this forum. I fell at my dad's house. His garage is very oddly shaped and has a big step down that I totally didn't realize. Long story short, I have a broken humerus and sheared ligaments to my rotator cuff. I am talking to the surgeon on Tuesday. I have no idea what life is like with rotator cuff surgery. That's going to be major. I'm trying to find out if I need someone here 24/7 to help me empty my bag. I figure I'll need an ostomy nurse a couple of times a week to redo the flange, etc. This is my biggest nightmare. Looking for some wisdom and maybe some advice. So far, just having one arm has been pretty horrific, but I've had the use of my hand if I bend down. I don't know that that will be the case after surgery. Thanks in advance.

jeanneskindle
Jul 09, 2023 8:05 pm

Right arm. Of course

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,888 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon
Jul 09, 2023 8:31 pm

I'm not gonna say too much about my shoulder surgery until you talk to your surgeon... Do get the nerve block before surgery. You don't think it makes a difference but when it wears off, you know it made a difference.
The part that is the "cuff" was completely worn down/non-existent for me. So the surgeons used my own tissues and 6 anchors to stabilize the joint and create kind of a cuff. I have pictures. I forget what he did to fix the labral tear. I had to move my fingers several times a day. So sorry you're going through this!

w30bob
Jul 09, 2023 9:05 pm

Oh Jean....that must suck beyond words! Rather than bloviate about it........you can find all the wisdom you want at the following site. We'll be here for moral support and be thinking about you. Let us know how it goes!!!

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/treatment/rotator-cuff-tears-surgical-treatment-options/#::text=Surgery20to20repair20a20torn,original20site20on20the20humerus.

;O)

jeanneskindle
Jul 09, 2023 9:40 pm
Reply to CrappyColon

I'll let you know Tuesday. Thank you."

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
jeanneskindle
Jul 09, 2023 9:42 pm
Reply to w30bob

Thank you, Mucho Bob! I'm a very good bloviator!

CrappyColon
Jul 09, 2023 10:17 pm
Reply to jeanneskindle

Jeanne, a cheeseburger and my favorite color, how'd ya know? Don't tell but the dogs got most of my cheeseburger on the 4th. Me and meat are having issues... The meat is fine, I've just stopped wanting to eat it.
Are you able to drive right now? I'm trying to remember how I did the seat belt and the sling. But I couldn't drive until I was off pain meds and my husband would purposely take my vehicle to work because he knows I don't like driving his '

Rose Bud 🌹
Jul 09, 2023 10:43 pm

Hugs from a distance. Hugs. That's gotta suck. Hope everything goes well for you!

eefyjig
Jul 09, 2023 11:04 pm

Ugh, I'm sorry this happened, Jeanne. I don't have any tips regarding your shoulder, but maybe you'll still have use of your hand after surgery which would be incredibly helpful. You will figure this out and, when you're all healed, you'll think, "Wow, I can't believe I got through that." I am thinking all positive thoughts for you. Please keep us posted.

Briutz
Jul 10, 2023 12:42 am

Jeanne, I have no answers to offer you with your impending surgery or how to talk through the procedures to help when you are worried about recovery. Other stomates with personal experience will hopefully be able to help with that, but what I can do is hopefully be here in case you need to vent, or throw abuse, shout, or have a conversation about anything to take your mind away from your pain or distress or anger or any other subject to help you through it. It won't be easy, but I'm sure we can try.

I hope things go well Jeanne,

Brian

jeanneskindle
Jul 10, 2023 1:05 am
Reply to CrappyColon

I have esp! I drove myself to the orthopedic emergency room. I drove myself to get the medication that they wanted me to have. But since I've been home since Wednesday night, I've been told not to drive due, of course, to those medications. I probably could drive, but I'm not gonna risk it. The main reason I don't drive is they told me that insurance would not be in effect if I only had one arm. Everybody's been wonderful. I intend to take you all up on all sorts of griping, moaning, and glorious news. I'll catch up on Tuesday night. Hugs to all.

CrappyColon
Jul 10, 2023 3:35 am
Reply to jeanneskindle

I'm super 'fun' and retain zero information while on pain meds. Two things before I forget: do not use Nair as you won't be able to shave under that arm for a while. Nair is like the devil cream. I had such a bad chemical burn from it down my arm. If your arm/shoulder is going to be at the angle I think it will be after surgery, I'll message you some showering tips. Someone told me to get a spray deodorant which also caused a chemical burn on my arm. My surgeon was like JODIE! He let me out of the sling two weeks early because I was such a lovely pain and was not doing well with being so restricted. Lume has the cream deodorant in a tube or packs of deodorant wipes. My surgery was in January so I did poncho style sweaters with the camis with the straps that can really stretch. Button shirts. I'll message you if I think of any more things like that.

jeanneskindle
Jul 11, 2023 4:49 am

Jodie! I think I am an older, chubby version of you. Thank you. No Nair for me. I just pray I can empty my own bag! Eeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk

Axl
Jul 11, 2023 4:51 am

Damn, that's a disaster. I hope you find your way through it. I recall someone else on here lost the use of an arm for a while but can't remember who it was, but they got through in the end. I hope you don't have to suffer too much.

bowsprit
Jul 11, 2023 9:21 am

Amazing how accidents happen when you are already swamped with other problems! C'est la vie! Hopefully, it is not a bad tear and can be fixed without too much fuss. All the best on Tuesday.

imsafanwa
Jul 11, 2023 4:51 pm

Hang in there, Jeanne, it can be done. I'm bouncing back from an inverted shoulder replacement on my non-dominant left arm. Just got tangled up in my blankets during a 3am blowout episode and the humerus was a bag of chips. For the first few weeks, that hand was almost completely dead so creative solutions were necessary.

I found that two of the simplest things were a huge help. The first was a cheap bamboo back scratcher. Handy for those unreachable itches, but wait, there's more! I discovered a way to lay the thing across my thighs and flop the bag up on it for opening and closing the drain, rinsing and wiping, etc. Had to start rinsing and adding lube/deodorant through the unclipped two-piece Hollister flange up near the top.

Also hugely helpful, tall kitchen garbage bags. The one-handed bag changes can be slow and sometimes unsuccessful, so tucking one side of the Hefty into your waistband and letting the sink or vanity support the weight makes for an all-purpose crap catcher. Especially when nervous the output catches me by surprise but now, plop right into the Hefty. A much more relaxed experience.

I was able to use the bad hand a bit and bend the elbow after 3-4 weeks, so you should be bouncing back soon. Yooo can dooo eeet!

CrappyColon
Jul 11, 2023 5:29 pm
Reply to jeanneskindle

Jeanne, I don't know if it bodes well for me that I already fell down concrete garage steps a few years ago. I don't even know how I did it... other than doing too much at once and running late and not paying attention... that combo might've done it.
You have at least one son close by, right?
Hope your appointment goes as well as possible today.

jeanneskindle
Jul 13, 2023 5:12 am
Reply to imsafanwa

Awesomeness I'm a fan!, Thank you so much. I have been blessed by um mistaken, Dr. The urgent care doctor was wrong. My ortho surgeon said I had a broken arm and no problems with my rotator cuff. I am delighted, but feel silly because I got so upset about it and upset all my family members and friends. All I can say for myself is I believe the nurse practitioner. Those are great tools of wisdom. I've actually learned quite a bit about how much I can do with no right arm. I am definitely in a sling, and I'm not to use the arm.. far better than the RC surgery!!!

CrappyColon
Jul 13, 2023 5:52 pm

Jeanne,

I think you have better luck than I do. Another decade and I think I'll need some of your luck

jeanneskindle
Jul 14, 2023 3:46 am

I definitely feel very lucky. Like I won the lottery!