Hartmann Reversal: Laparoscopic or Open?

Replies
Views
eefyjig

I remember my sister clapping on the other side of the hospital bathroom door after my first post J-pouch poop. May you continue to have uneventful poops!

Syd34

I am glad everything is okay with you and on the road to full recovery. I'll hope my reversal goes okay too.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,505 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Dogen\'s bag
Reply to Syd34

You got this, Syd!!

Dogen\'s bag
Reply to eefyjig

Uneventful poops is the best band name ever. Thank you lololol

Dogen\'s bag

Day 4 and should be going home this morning by 10. Walking still sucks, especially after a meal and sleeping is rather uncomfortable but hey, I'm going home.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Caz67

Congratulations on getting home, remember to take it steady. Xx

eefyjig
Reply to Dogen\'s bag

I think of funny band names all the time! Hope you're home by the time you read this.

Beachboy

I'm thinking "The Stomites" old school rock & roll.

MoeMoe

Hope all is going well and you are getting better and better every day!! Please keep us posted on your road to recovery.

Dogen\'s bag

Hello!

We'd have been 14 days and I'll be getting my staples out.

Bowels have been adjusting nicely and the stoma area is draining and healing.

Wonderfully uneventful

CrappyColon
Reply to Dogen\'s bag

Congrats on getting those staples out and having an uneventful recovery!!!

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Dogen\'s bag

So glad to hear you are doing well. Keep on healing and moving forward!

Daniel

DexieB
Reply to Syd34

Same here! I meet with my surgeon on October 25....

DexieB
Reply to Dogen\'s bag

Thank you for giving me hope!!

DexieB
Reply to Dogen\'s bag

How are you progressing? Hope you are doing well...

Dogen\'s bag
Reply to DexieB

It's going really well.

Mentally I feel much lighter and physically better each day.

I can eat as I choose which is really odd after years of diverticulitis but I still "check for my bag" by habit.

My system now works pretty flawlessly which is in itself a modern medical miracle so really I have only positive feelings and experiences. I will add that getting off the dilauded asap was for me fundamental to feeling good.

I hope your surgery goes perfect and the recovery easy peasy.

Dogen\'s bag
Reply to DexieB

I'll also add that like you, my colostomy was an emergency and a shock. The reversal no longer being a question, whether it had moved forward or not gave me closure on the issue. That is huge for the mental aspect.

DexieB
Reply to Dogen\'s bag

Such good news! I am so happy to hear this! I have a lot of fear about the reversal (if it is even an option for me once I heal up) - maybe the first surgery is still too fresh in my mind - but hearing good stories like yours gives me so much hope. Thank you very much for sharing!!

Dogen\'s bag
Reply to DexieB

Give yourself time to heal.

I freely admit I tried and failed to rush the process, which is of course just not possible.

The day of the reversal, I had still not accepted nor gotten over the first surgery.

Be gentle with yourself.

Beachboy

Hey Dogen!

Great to hear all is going well for you. It's a tough decision getting a reversal (for me anyway). Wishing you continued good health.

Mark420

You will recover before you know it. Good luck!

DexieB
Reply to Dogen\'s bag

Hey there, just wondering how things are going for you? Hoping all is well!

Dogen\'s bag

Doing great DexieB. I can honestly say I am great.

Some great scars but really 100% with no complaints.

I am quite lucky.

DexieB
Reply to Dogen\'s bag

That is so wonderful!! I will think of your success story whenever the fear creeps in about my upcoming reversal.

Thank you for letting me know!

DexieB
Reply to Dogen\'s bag

Hello - just checking in to see how you are doing? I finally got the all-clear for my reversal in January! Excited but scared! Hope you are still continuing to do well.

Dogen\'s bag
Reply to DexieB

Still here but I have noticed something interesting...since the reversal I am putting on weight at a rate I have never experienced before.  Now I have to really watch what I eat not for the stoma or diverticulitis but simply because ot seems like my metabolism has really slowed.

Could all be in my head but it's mostl the gut. Ahahahaha!

January?  Good time of year to hunker down and heal.  Good luck and stay strong!

Mysterious Mose

Putting on weight. I have had that problem without a reversal. It seems that, ever since I was allowed back on a solid food diet, I have lost all control of my eating. I eat all the time and, even though I get regular exercise, I have been putting on unneeded weight and have developed a roll of fat around my middle that I never had before. I am starting to get a handle on it, but it is not easy. And I am running out of clothes that fit! :-))

Daniel

DexieB

So glad to hear you are doing well, aside from weight gain!  Like Daniel said, I have this struggle even before reversal.  I've managed to keep off the weight I lost in the hospital (sadly I lost it in all the places I didn't want to, LOL), but I notice a pound or two creeping back on now that I'm feeling better.  I'm afraid of putting on weight before surgery as it will soon be the holidays - and my surgeon reminded me that I will recover easier if I can keep the weight off! I need to increase my walking, but it's hard now that the weather is turning cold in Minnesota!!  Treadmill time I guess.  And yes, I will be happy to stay home 6-8 weeks this winter, as I have a long commute and I won't be sad about being nice and cozy at home instead of battling the weather.  Thanks so much for responding, and again I am so happy that things have gone well for you! :)