Is This a Parastomal Hernia? Seeking Advice After Resuming Weight Training

Replies
Views
Mysterious Mose
Dec 18, 2023 3:34 pm
Reply to Mark1

I hope you can find a reasonable surgeon to work with. I don't know how difficult that is within the NHS. Our health system in the U.S. may suck in many ways, but getting a second opinion is not all that difficult. As long as you have insurance or are wealthy, that is. :-(

Daniel

Wish
Mar 24, 2024 4:07 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Such helpful info. I like my surgeon, yup he saved my life, but neither he nor any other medical professional emphasized caution in lifting. So I went home and exerted some initial caution and then started returning to lifting heavy dog food bags, groceries, salt for my water softener and then read on this site about hernias and boy did that immediately change my behavior. With that, I researched and bought wraps... They're beautiful, with a lace front overlay, and others as well. I don't lift anything heavy anymore, wear these wraps always, and cross my fingers hoping I haven't initiated one of those hernia guys.

Because I'm so freaked out about getting one from my initial conduct, what is the first sign you have one? Eek, I sure hope I stopped the potential soon enough!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,861 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT
Mar 24, 2024 4:29 pm
Reply to Wish

I bulge under your stoma. Your stoma area will look like half a softball (or whatever type of ball you want to reference) is stuck under your skin. No pain, just a lopsided stomach. By the way, you can get a hernia with simple tasks like sneezing or coughing too.