Hip Surgery and Managing an Ileostomy

Replies
Views
Demi
Jan 17, 2024 12:50 pm

I am having hip surgery on my left hip. How do you manage changing your pouch, etc., with an ileostomy?

Riva
Jan 17, 2024 1:32 pm

I have had two hip replacements. You will be just fine. Ask away any specific questions you may need answered. Best of luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,852 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CascadianAaron
Jan 17, 2024 3:40 pm

I had a double hip replacement in 2014, 2.5 years after getting an ostomy. This was caused by all the high doses of prednisone I was given while battling UC. I had no issues with changing my pouch, though emptying was a little more difficult early on as getting down to toilet level was hard.

Demi
Jan 17, 2024 4:21 pm
Reply to Riva

I use pouches that you can empty because I have to empty them multiple times during the day. I'm not sure how I will maneuver this when I can't bend more than 90 inches from my waist. Do I have to get pouches that are closed and you just dispose of them every time they are full? I would probably go through 8 to 10 a day! On a personal note, I usually sit backward on the toilet seat, which makes emptying my pouch much, much easier. I would appreciate an answer to this question.

Riva
Jan 17, 2024 5:10 pm
Reply to Demi

As to emptying after the surgery, one suggestion would be to try standing to empty rather than a sitting position and have some tissue paper in the toilet to prevent splashing. You will not run out of pouches. Of course, remember you will be having physical therapy, which is key to getting you back to your old self again. You've got this 💪💪🌈

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
IGGIE
Jan 19, 2024 10:35 am

G'day Demi, I also sit facing the wall on the toilet, and yes, it is easier. I have added a photo of the layout in my toilet that makes it easy to reach everything you need. I also have had both hips replaced, and I have an ileostomy. Are you married, or do you have someone that could help you if needed? Best to try for yourself though. Good luck. Regards, Iggie