Sticky Residue from Ostomy Bags: Anyone Else Experiencing This?

Replies
Views
Hisbiscus
Feb 04, 2024 4:58 pm

I think I've posted about this subject before, but it's been a year or so since. Has anyone else experienced stickiness coming from their ostomy bags? It seems it's coming from the inside of the bag, and it gets all over my ostomy garments after emptying, even though I clean my bag end very well. I'm wondering, could it be adhesive breaking down or the ring? I use CeraRings from Hollister. This all started happening about maybe 2 years ago, so I'm wondering if Hollister changed the formula for those in that time. I use a ConvaTec bag. This stickiness has caused me a whole lot of heartache and issues. It's basically ruined my ostomy experience.

Jayne
Feb 04, 2024 5:17 pm

Hisbiscs,

Hello

....... Perhaps it's time for a change of brands, hey?

Have you tried Salts stuff? It coordinates with underwear, and I have not found sticky issues. In any case, the Salts brand offers both adhesive removal wipes and spray, and also protection wipes too. Their backing plate design allows for more movement, unlike those with a single spherical wafer.

Just a thought

BW

BTW, some US folk do use Salts, so I believe you have senders in the US.

Jayne

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Hisbiscus
Feb 04, 2024 8:11 pm
Reply to Jayne

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I think salts are only available in other countries. I wish I could try their stuff, but I'm in the US, and even if I paid to get some shipped, it would be a worry each month as to whether I'd get them in time.

AlexT
Feb 04, 2024 9:26 pm

No issues with my Hollister stuff

MBT
Feb 04, 2024 9:40 pm

I haven't noticed a stickiness from the pouch. But I have noticed sometimes a glue residue from the flange.

Do you use a deodorant? I have heard that some deodorants can break down the seal on the pouch edges...

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Hisbiscus
Feb 04, 2024 11:21 pm
Reply to MBT

I've often wondered since I rinse and I do use M9 deodorant drops if it's maybe breaking down my ring or flange inside the pouch. Could it be possible?

The stickiness seems to be coming from inside the pouch. If it gets on anything, it's sticky as well.

Hisbiscus
Feb 04, 2024 11:45 pm
Reply to Jayne

Can you provide a link? I'd be interested.

MBT
Feb 05, 2024 1:01 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

I do not use M9, but have seen reports or was told by my Convatec rep that it can break down the seams of Convatec pouches.

Hisbiscus
Feb 05, 2024 2:13 am
Reply to MBT

I do use a Convatec pouch, the Active Life hard convex. It does not seem to leak from seams, unless it's micro and I don't know it. I use a Hollister Cera ring. I know Convatec does have their own deodorant now, but it's oily and has essential oil in it, which I'm allergic to. This is interesting because I've been trying to figure this out for 2 years now. I see you are or were (not sure) an ostomy and wound nurse. I used to wear a flat pouch, Active Life, but I never had issues. It had standard adhesive, not extended wear. It basically makes my life miserable trying to keep things to a minimum and very costly. I wore my ostomy with confidence and was happy at one time until this sticky issue started.

MBT
Feb 05, 2024 2:47 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

Disclaimer: I do not work for any of the manufacturers. Like everyone else, I try out all of the products that I can.

I do not use the Convatec brand deodorant either. Too floral for me. If this has been going on for 2 years, it sounds like more than a bad batch of pouches. Maybe the pouch material is different? I haven't seen a hard convex from Convatec in a bit, so I'm not sure if the material has changed.

Convatec made a new flat extended wear pouch available last year. It is available in clear and opaque.

Hisbiscus
Feb 05, 2024 3:49 am
Reply to MBT

I've tried most all of the Convatec convex pouches, but the old Active Life (an oldie but a goodie) seems to be the least problematic. They don't advertise this one on the site, but if you search it, you will find it. The soft convex does not hold up and still has sticky issues. Coloplast I tried for 3 months, and at first, it was okay, but after a while, I had issues with that too. Sticky and allergic-type reactions. I tried Hollister, several ones, and those had even more sticky issues. It may be the ring? Or the extended wear adhesives? I have no idea, but I'd love to find out why, as no one else has these issues.

Before all this started, I was using an Active Life flat pouch with Stomahesive adhesive and never had an issue. This all started after a parastomal mesh hernia surgery, and my stoma turned flat, so I had to switch to convexity. They are all using extended wear adhesives in them, but what baffles me is no one else seems to have this issue.

Hisbiscus
Feb 05, 2024 4:15 am
Reply to MBT

Do you use a deodorant? If so, which one?

MBT
Feb 06, 2024 2:04 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

When I use deodorant, I use Coloplast Brava. Have you tried alcohol-free mouthwash or even Tic Tacs in the pouch? They may be less sticky.

Hisbiscus
Feb 11, 2024 3:55 am

I've tried Tic Tacs years ago when I first got this ostomy. I cannot remember why, but there was some reason I did not want to use them again. I do love M9 as it seems like the best deodorant I've tried thus far as it has no fragrance and very little, if any, smell when I empty. I've used Brava before, but it was just too oily and fragrant for me.