Living with a PICC Line and TPN Bag Due to Esophageal and Stomach Cancer

Replies
Views
bradrealestate
Feb 27, 2024 3:42 am

Is there anyone like me who cannot eat due to esophageal and stomach cancer? I have had a permanent PICC line in my upper arm aorta with a long needle inserted into a vein that goes next to my heart. I get 100% of my nutrition through the liquid in the TPN bags which are connected 16 hrs. a day, every day. I will most likely have it for the rest of my life, which isn't many more years, the doctors say. I want to know if your colostomy bag fills quickly or any other challenges?

Beachboy
Feb 27, 2024 5:21 am

Hello,

I had a PICC line and was on TPN for several weeks. I took antifungal medication with the TPN. Soon after surgery, I was taken off TPN. So I didn't have much TPN when I got my colostomy. I didn't have any adverse reaction or trouble.

After reading your profile, I'm at a loss for words. You've really had a rough time. Take care

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,840 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

aTraveler
Feb 27, 2024 12:47 pm

I was on TPN with a PICC line. Doctors wanted to take out the PICC line after several weeks because they said keeping it in too long could cause complications. The surgeons wanted to keep it in to keep me on the TPN in order to lessen the flow of my colostomy. Keeping the PICC line in led to infection and a blood clot in my arm. I would get a lot of gas in my pouch in addition to a heavy liquid flow. I pray that you do not develop such complications and that your flow is mild with not much gas.

Kas
Feb 27, 2024 1:21 pm

I had TPN through a port in my chest for a couple of months before my colostomy and about 4 months after. And I did have a lot of gas and liquid stools while on the TPN, but it did not resolve after the TPN ended either, so I don't think the TPN was the problem. I remember being nervous about hooking it up every night (7 p.m. to 7 a.m.), fearing air bubbles, infections, etc.

I hope it is better for you. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers.

IGGIE
Feb 27, 2024 2:16 pm

Keep us up to date, Brad. Keep calling in. We have some mad guys in here doing pantomime shows, and it will keep you smiling. Good luck, mate. Regards, Iggie

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
warrior
Feb 27, 2024 3:46 pm

Aaah, bloody hell, them quacks.

Any first-year med student knows a PICC line or even a regular IV line can't stay for more than 3 days.

I'm not sure a feeding tube into the stomach is an option. I had both a PICC and a feeding tube. No cancer.

Be the warrior. Advocate. Blessings, brother.

Hisbiscus
Feb 27, 2024 5:39 pm

I had TPN after my proctocolectomy due to ileus, but it was only for a couple of months. I have an ileostomy, though. I think, if I can remember, I had it filling with watery stool at the time. Your situation is much different, and I hope someone who's been through something similar to yours can pop in to answer your questions. Sending healing prayers your way.

Beth22
Feb 28, 2024 1:06 am

Hi there,

I have not had a PICC line nor could imagine what you are having to go through. You are such a strong and brave person, and I will be praying for you.

Jayne
Feb 28, 2024 2:34 am

....... Real estate broker in California, Nevada, and Hawaii, hey ..... Good living and fulfilling.

Have been in real estate myself here in the UK ...... and only in recent years have spent much time on the coast - in Pembrokeshire .........

I love to 'virtually' surf with those who do .......

KEEP ON VISUALIZING WHAT YOU LOVE ......

KEEP ON mentally running - 4 miles ...... and then some ............

It's what has kept me going - journeying ......

The bio and the tech and med side is not all that keeps us engaged ......

........ Blessings ......

I will venture to "visit" you .....

Thank you for sharing here .............

You are heard

Unconditionally we meet ....

It is a privilege to run by your side -

"I run with you".... Slowly and gently keep pace ... picking up on your footfalls .....

Tread lightly, my friend ..... Your soul is listening .....

Fleet of foot

I am with you

Love

Jayne

w30bob
Feb 29, 2024 5:29 am

Hi Brad,

PICC lines aren't permanent. They're usually good for a year, but rarely last that long. By that, I mean they are usually moved to your other arm due to getting clogged or causing infection. Even though you'll flush your line with saline before and after you feed, the very tip of the PICC, because of its shape, can't be flushed, so bacteria can get a hold and you know the rest. Also, if you're on TPN, they're putting lipids through that PICC, which are thick and sludgy in nature, and your veins aren't designed to handle that stuff for a long time without damage, so blowing out a vein is a real possibility. You only have four major access points for TPN, one in each inner thigh and the two in your arms. If all four of those veins get blown, you're in trouble. That's why they typically switch you to a port at some point, usually sooner rather than later if you plan to be on TPN for a long time. A port is an access point they put just under your skin, that you insert a needle into when you feed. It's not as bad as it sounds. So if they haven't discussed installing a port with you, they will. Ports are typically placed right next to your collarbone on your left side, which gives it the shortest distance to your heart. I'm guessing you'll also be hydrating through your PICC as well, which would explain the 16-hour regime. What's really important is that you get a good home infusion company, as they are not all the same. If you want a good recommendation, just PM me and I'll fill you in.

;O)