Black liquid stool

Replies
Views
sportzkelz

Hello everyone today got home from the doctors office having black watery output from my ostomy was wondering I'm a newbie should I go to hospital 

warrior

Some more details please.

For example..how long have you had this stoma? Is it Colotomy or ileo?

Do you have UC or CD?

Has this black output happened before? What did you eat differently?

The Dr's appt today?  Was it in regards to the output ? Or just follow up appt?.

You see the more details to give, the better we all can help.

You are in the place. Sit tight ad others chime in. 

I have had watery output as an ileo... it comes and goes. Depends on foods.. scarey stuff indeed ..  butt not knowing how long u have had the experience before can't say for sure how to help or advise. 

Ileos have watery output.. fact. Gotta learn to bulk it up though. 

There is no such thing here as too much info. ( TMI)... we can help ..just give us what you'd like to share..

Welcome. Good to have ya on board. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hisbiscus

Hi,

How long have you had your stoma? If your hosptal.has a colorectal surgeon on call, you can  always call and ask to speak with them and they can advise you. If it worries you then yes go ahead and get checked out. 

IGGIE

Black normally means old blood. I would get it checked out. If you have had a recent operation done lately it could be from that. Regards IGGIE

Mysterious Mose

I often have very dark to black output from my ileostomy. This usually occurs while getting rid of breakfast, which contains about 2 1/2 cups of fruit. Of that, a cup and a half are blueberries and blackberries. Other times during the day, things are the normal yellowish/green or some variation thereof. But since I take 2mg of loperamide a day, liquid output is seldom an issue. The other way around, actually.

Daniel

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Caz67

As warrior said we need a little more information please. What did your Dr say about the black liquid stool? What did you eat that day/evening? Is it a one off or several days? Any pain? Any weight loss post surgery? Xx

gentlejohn

Hydrox cookies and blueberries produce a beautiful black stool.  So does blood and bleeding from the GI tract.  Pepto-Bismol is famous for causing black stools too.  I assume there are no iron tablets too.    If food and medicines are not a cause you need to see your doctor.