Need friends to talk

Replies
Views
patriciaferguson474

I had my loop ileostomy since may 13th 2021. Was supposed to have reversal in November  2021 but some reason it became hard for me to ambulate well so the Drs said I have to be able to walk to go to the bathroom before I can get reversal. I'm 400+ lbs. It has got harder to move around it feels like something is wrong to that right side. Stuck in the house no one to talk with about this so it's very depressing. Bf..not sympathetic.  Looking for friend or friends close by in Miami Fl area. I lost my Medicaid trying to appeal.  Ran out supplies.  Is really not good with me but coping.

AlexT

I’d say you need to seek professional help about the weight issue to get it under control and I’d guess all your other issues will get better by fixing that. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,577 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cplumber

Sorry to hear you’re going thru so much. Check with Ostomy211.org, your local hospital or find a local Ostomy support group thru uoaa.org they may have supplies available and lots of other support.

Good Luck I will be praying for you!

Cplumber
Reply to AlexT

Ouch dude. Maybe check your spelling.

warrior

There will be alot of encourage from this community. As you mentioned you have surgery being put off possibly due to health issues which need addressing, first....there are also organizations designed to help get you yur needed supplies.

Check into those places.

There is hope and help coming kiddo.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Reply to Cplumber

🤓 I’m usually pretty good with my grammar skills, what did I misspell? 🤷‍♂️

Beachboy

Hello,

Sorry to hear the tough battle you're having.  But the first major health problem you need to get serious about is weight loss.  400+ is dangerous.  Especially if reversal surgery is something you really want.  I would recommend gastric bypass and counseling.  Weight loss requires both for long term success.

All ostomy supply companies offer free samples, call them for details.  You can find them by searching on the internet for Ostomy supplies.  Local hospitals might have ostomy supplies to help you get by.

You're in charge of your life.  Getting reversal surgery will not help you for the long term.  You need to get to a healthy weight.  

Many Ostemates on this web site have  endured extreme health problems.  Many faced death.  Yet they survived by being tough, going through horrible surgeries, and for a lot of them: faith in God.  

Choose to get better.  

bowsprit
Reply to AlexT

Misspelled? or Misspelt? Both are correct. Depends on which version of English you are using, American or English.

Itsme58

Hello, welcome to the group. Not everyone is tactful… but, sometimes tuff love and down right honesty will hit home. Losing weight could be a good start, not all of us go through chemo and radiation, due to cancer and lose weight (that’s how I lost my weight, no appetite and had to force myself to eat).

I say… one day at a time, try to lose weight, give up breads, or things made with flour, or count calories. Whatever works for you.

Think hard about reversal surgery. I thought I would rather be dead then have a bag…well, cancer kept coming back so being reattached was not an option any longer, which if I had a choice of diapers or bag, I would want a bag… just sayin.

I wish you well regardless, this group is made up of all kinds of people, we all care, we all have a story to tell aswell . Be blessed , Linda 

Kas

Good morning!

Sorry you are having such a rough time.  I agree with what everyone has said, weight is a big factor for you, but I also realize that it’s difficult to lose weight when you have limited mobility & this makes it a double edged sword.  Start with avoiding all white foods/drinks - so sugar, bread, rice, potato, etc because all that is a carb which = weight gain.  Force yourself to get up and move, even if it’s to the mailbox and back and work your stamina up from there.  If you’re diabetic or pre-diabetic some of the medications may help with weight loss as well.  

Since you’ve lost your Medicaid coverage, you may want to consider a social security disability application but this takes a long time.  And the local support groups and supply companies for samples and extra supplies like others have said.

Please find a Mental Health Provider to help you and see if there are any local support groups you could attend.  Church may be another option that would help you connect with Faith, community, and support.

And, if the boyfriend isn’t supportive then maybe you two need to have a serious talk about what you both need/want and if this is a healthy relationship for you both.

And of course, this community on your screen is always here for our fellow ostomates.

I wish you well and will be praying for you!

Kim

IGGIE
Reply to Cplumber

If I was you I would check your manners, if I was Alex I would tell you go F yourself. Regards a very pissed off IGGIE

Cplumber
Reply to IGGIE

Way to go IGGIE, once again someone says something against your beliefs and you go all aggressive  nice job

still praying for you man.

Cplumber

Gezzz Guys.  Really you think she Doesn’t know 90% of what you’re saying and it’s not thrown in her face on a daily basis! You guys have been in this battle longer and better than anyone! We can do better! 

Morning glory

Good Morning  Patricia, I  am happy you found the courage  to post. We all may express ourselves  in different ways, but we are here for you and only wish you success. Feel free to message  me.

warrior
Reply to Cplumber

I hear ya man. @ C plumber..

It's called tact..having tact. 

One can say something in reply without it being offensive.

The poster felt it necessary to mention her weight...a specific weight too. So I am in awe of her courage to step up like that. It's a difficult post to answer on an osty site..

I have not seen any other posts like this with weight issues.. so my reply I felt was in kind. 

Make sure the mind is engaged before the mouth opens..

We all mean well intentions. Some sugar coat. Others dont.

Ebony&Ivory

Hi Patricia - I’m particularly concerned about your supplies issue. I’m so sorry to hear that in this country in 2024 you can’t get supplies. I thought everyone can get health insurance under the Affordable Care Act. Please look into it! I can’t imagine what you must be going through without supplies. 
Have you tried stretching exercises? You have to be diligent and once you get get that down then you can add chair exercises and walking in place exercises.  There’s a lot on YouTube free.

Good luck and remember that you always have a friend in Jesus.

E&I

vollovr
Reply to AlexT

I don't see anything wrong with speaking the truth! Sometimes the truth hurts. Any physician or healthcare professional would have said the same thing. 

warrior
Reply to vollovr

" sometimes the truth hurts"?. That's novel. Albeit true.

However..the posted who obviously must have heard logic common sense- truth- was not asking professionals..she was asking potential friends with an ostomy.

I don't see her replying. 😳 No replies from her on my end but this phone is a p.o.s. 🤦‍♂️

I have been unable to comment in a week. The site wasn't allowing me that. Just to read. WTF ?? and today is allows me to post. 

Now... I only see partial of the original post..not others who may have replied so forgive me if the o.p. did reply.my bad..

I don't see it and bc of that,  say this, "she ran off. got disappointed, turned away" bc there was no empathy..tact. found here. That's what truly hurts all of us.  Be in her shoes for a day.  

Moments later...oh snap S.O.B. 

now I can see everyone who replied..and I do not see Patricia replying. Boom.

Since I might be correct in my reply above abt her leaving without trace, I say this : nice job folks! 

Morning glory
Reply to warrior

I have been having  the same issues as you,Tony with replying. I haven't  seen any replies from Patricia either.

rlevineia
Reply to AlexT

A bit of a run on sentence.  However, CPlummer may have taken issue with you confronting her weight/mental health issues.  400 lbs is not just morbidly obese.  She is in a deep dark place.  It brings a plethora of other health issues.  Prayer & socializing will help.

warrior
Reply to Morning glory

Hi..yea it's strange. This site undergoes updates and upgrades without a notice.

One full week I could not leave a comment or reply...just read posts. 

I felt deaf mute. Son's  of beewax!

warrior
Reply to rlevineia

..being nice helps  too.👍

AlexT
Reply to rlevineia

I take no offense to what anyone says, I’m not even sure how this got all twisted around. 🤷‍♂️ I may have said it bluntly, which I’ve been known to do, but my point was that fixing the extreme overweight issue would help all the other issues. 

patriciaferguson474
Reply to AlexT

I know I need to do something with my weight but I carried my weight well until I got 9 surgeries on my right thigh, then had accident got a broken femur on my left leg now recovering from a fib/tib on the same left leg.  Soo my legs are weak along with these other stuff going on.  It's just not easy...

warrior
Reply to patriciaferguson474

...good to have you chime in. Stick around. Reply when you need to.

Itsme58

Patricia, you do the best you can, Take one day at a time, Your legs heal, And you couldn’t be just fine hugs, Linda

patriciaferguson474
Reply to warrior

Hey. I haven't left ...just coping with my situation..  my weight is a problem to a certain extent.  

patriciaferguson474
Reply to AlexT

Hey Alex I good the goody box...I appreciate it so much I can use them all and I'm set for a while.  Soo thank you very much.  I'm trying to find the lady but can't find her post...can you post her name for me ..I think it was Kas or Linda I'm sorry I'm trying to navigate thru these texts but I can't see the post.  Again 🙏🏽 ♥️

patriciaferguson474

I found her...thanks again

AlexT

You’re welcome. Hopefully those few boxes will get ya thru so you can find a more permanent solution. Make sure to thank Kas a bunch. Have a good day.