Maybe a stupid question

Replies
Views
Kas

I’m trying to help someone who is in need of supplies.  She has an ileostomy (I have a colostomy). She said any ileostomy bags/supplies would help.  Are they the same things or is there a difference?

Cplumber

I googled colostomy products cuz I have an  ileostomy and they look the same. Is she in Minnesota I’m in the Metro area and can access products thru are local support group if that helps or ostomy211.org  will send out 10 changes 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Kas

No,  she’s in Miami.

she posted the other day and she got a lot of advise, but I e mailed her to see if I could help at all.

thank you.  I’ll see if there’s something like that by her

Mysterious Mose

Ileostomy and colostomy are no different when it comes to supplies such as bags and skin barriers. The only difference that comes to mind is that deodorizers may be more appropriate for colostomies.

Kas
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thank you!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
TerryLT

They use the exact same products.  I've had a colostomy and now have an ileostomy.  The only difference is that I cut my hole smaller with the ileo because my stoma is smaller.   BTW, there are no stupid questions!

Terry

Kas
Reply to TerryLT

Thank you!

Night owl

The only difference is a closed end pouch vs open end. Ileostomates generally empty more often so an open end pouch would be preferable.

infinitycastle52777

If you contact Hollister they will send out samples for free. I would imagine other suppliers will do the same. Also if she has a Wound and Ostomy Care Nurse they can help to get supplies. 

Kas

Thanks everyone!

AlexT
Reply to Kas

Same bags. There’s just a gazillion styles of ostomy bags so it gets confusing. What does she need?

Kas
Reply to AlexT

Single or two piece.  Usually Convatec but will happily take any help with any brand or style.

Cplumber

You could check with her local support group for products and support. Can find that thru uoaa.org

aTraveler

"She said any ileostomy bags/supplies would help."

Most of the time one manufacturer's pouches will not work with another manufacturer's wafers. This is even true with different product lines from the same manufacturer. Perhaps she means she is not particular about the manufacturer and a given appliance (matched wafer and pouch). Unless the appliance is cut-to-fit, it helps to provide stoma size — when sending out free pouches and/or wafers ConvaTec, Coloplast, and Hollister all want to know the stoma size. Stoma size is even important when using a moldable appliance. A wafer with too small an opening could injure the stoma and one with too large an opening would injure the skin.

Kas
Reply to aTraveler

Thank-you.

I don’t know her personally, just from this site and that’s all the info I was given.  But being an ostomate myself I do realize that size does matter and I should’ve asked specifics.

DexieB

That is so sweet of you to try to help her Kas.  I know when I had to see the wound nurse, she rarely had any extra supplies - I always had to bring my own....yet when I wanted to donate them, they couldn't take them.  So wound nurses aren't always a good resource for supplies, but hopefully she found some. 

Hope you are enjoying the beautiful MN weather!  Aren't you in the Duluth area?  My daughter is in Grand Marais this week in an AirBNB...the agate hunting season has begun :)

AlexT

There used to be an agate shop in Beaver Bay that you could buy all sorts of agates from. 

Mysterious Mose
Reply to AlexT

Oh, but agate hunting can be so much fun. Add a sunset during a storm clearing on the Keweenaw and there is nothing finer! :-)

Daniel

DexieB
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Yes, we love to find them!  Of course we have been known to buy a few....but we have have found some amazing agates on our own, and it is so much fun!!  Would like to venture out of MN for the hunt someday, any suggestions will be duly noted.  Thank you!  :)

Mysterious Mose
Reply to DexieB

The only agate hunting I have ever done was in the Keweenaw Peninsula, not too far from where Ron is. The last time was 1971. So, it's been a couple of days. :-)

Kas
Reply to AlexT

One of my best friends parents own that shop.  It’s the Beaver Bay Rock Shop.  Keith Bartel (her dad) makes gorgeous jewelry!  I’ve even brought him my own found agates and he’s made jewelry out of those for me.

Kas
Reply to DexieB

Yep, I’m in Duluth.  I can hear the big boat horns on the Lake from my house. 

love Grand Marais!  And agates!  Went out about 3 weeks ago when it was still a little cold and found some nice ones!

Kas
Reply to DexieB

I went to Murfreesboro Arkansas and dug for diamonds in the Crater of Diamonds State Park.  So much fun!  Found a little tiny one - not worth anything, but still exciting. 

of you get out to South Dakota - the Fairburn agates are very beautiful.

Where in MN are you?

AlexT
Reply to Kas

Interesting. I have relatives in Two Harbors and they own a 160 homestead near Silver Bay and just up the road from Lax Lake. I haven’t been there in years but used to go yearly. 

DexieB
Reply to Kas

Wow, diamonds - that does sound exciting!  We did go to South Dakota many years ago, but it was before our agate hunting hobby took hold.  Will probably go back when I'm not so fresh out of surgery - I feel sure I've heard my daughter mention that type of agate!  She is a total junky and plans her vacations around agate hunting...I know she's been to Michigan looking for Yooperlites, but her usual place to go is Lake Superior, Grand Marais, or the Mille Lacs area where we have family.  

I live in a quaint little town in the beautiful Chisago Chain of Lakes area!  We love to go to Duluth - although it's been a few years now.  Last time I was there we went on our Goldwing with a group of people...Canal Park.  We definitely have to check out the rock jewelry shop !!  We were going to do an ATV riding trip to Silver Bay last year, but then I had my medical ordeal so we missed out on the whole summer.  Hopefully this summer will be a better one!

DexieB
Reply to AlexT

We want to go ATVing in the Silver Bay area soon! Beautiful trails I've heard.  We have a RZR High lifter and are dying to get back out on the trails...hopefully I'll be well enough this summer!

AlexT
Reply to DexieB

Not sure if it’s open for ATVing but there’s a trail(snowmobile)that goes from Duluth up to about LAX Lake. It runs right along my relative’s property and along Superior National Forest.

DexieB
Reply to AlexT

Thanks so much for the info!  

patriciaferguson474
Reply to aTraveler

Thanks..but the one piece I have to cut to fit and the 2 PC I use the 70 mm convatec.  The brand usually doesn't matter.

patriciaferguson474
Reply to Kas

Thanks..but the one piece I have to cut to fit and the 2 PC I use the 70 mm convatec.  The brand usually doesn't matter.  My stoma is 11/8-11/4 round shape..  skin is very sensitive so I use  no sting barrier film n the powder to protect my skin..  

Kas thanks for being a voice for me....love you and thank to you and Alex again.....♥️