Has the Hollister 8805 Barrier Ring Been Changed In Material?

Replies
Views
Sisu

I've used the Hollister #8805 barrier ring since my ileostomy in 2018 without any problems whatsoever.  However, within the past three to four months, they have been completely different in color, texture, appearance and most importantly, reliability!  I've reached out Hollister and inquired if something has changed, but I have not received any answers.  They just ask me question after question. ie:  who is the shipper, the supplier, the dates ordered, the order numbers, the lot numbers, the expiration dates, when ordered, when shipped, am I using the correctly, etc.!  I have answered all of their questions and then some.  I thought they were truly interested in my inquiry. - Then ... crickets.  I haven't heard a peep back.

So, after many horrid leaks and barrier failures, I took matters into my own hands, (as many of us ostomates often have to do), and figure stuff out on my own.  Here is what I found:  (I do not know if it will be helpful to anyone, but just in case it is...)  :)

Convatec has a -try eakin Cohesive barrier ring request a free trial- program.  They have different types to choose from.  If the type you chose to try did not work well, or if you feel you need to try a different one, they will send you another of your choosing.  I stumbled upon this while bawling my eyes out scrolling the internet looking for a barrier ring that is reliable.  I found it through them.

Again, I don't know if this will help anyone - but just in case it might, I am posting my experience.  Take good care everyone!

ron in mich

Hi Sisu i used to use eakin thin seals as they were easy on the skin but my supplier was out of them and substituted coloplast brava rings/seals that i found are more durable but harder to remove.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

If you have an odd shaped or bigger stoma, try the Eakin Stomawrap. Basically a regular barrier ring but it’s not a complete circle so it’s easy to work around odd shapes and it’s bigger so it requires less stretching. 

IGGIE

Hei sisu mitä kuuluu,  I was about to try the Hollister 8805, but I might give it a miss now. Regards IGGIE

Mysterious Mose
Reply to IGGIE

Do I hear a bit of Suomi kutsuu, IGGIE? :-)

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mysterious Mose

I've used the 8805 in the past and have a bunch of them. I do not know if new type or old type. I did not have much luck with them and stopped using. But, I was still using a flat barrier. Since going to Hollister convex and then convex pre-cut, leaks are a thing of the past and I normally get at least 7 days between changes. 

TerryLT

I am very disappointed to hear this.  I use the Salts brand of barrier ring and they are wonderful and completely reliable, just a tip in case you want to try something different.

Terry

Mysterious Mose

To add some clarification to my comment, I should say that my biggest issue was using a flat barrier when I should have gone with convex. Since going that way, I have had no need for the 8805s and will probably donate the bulk of them.

Lou G.
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Hi Mose. I just switched to a 1 piece convex system. What do you use to protect your skin around stoma? Paste? I am having issues with barrier rings now. The holister ring melts within 1.5 days for me. Ekin seal is getting me ~3 days. I used to use a flat barrier with a double layer of convatec barrier strips that I folded into rings, but gave me granulomas on stoma from the stoma rubbing on the edge of the barrier. That setup gave me 7 days. Hoping to get back up to that wear time again. Any info/help would be appreciated. 

Axl
Reply to TerryLT

Yep salts ring here too 👍

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Lou G.

Hi Lou. I am afraid I am fortunate enough to not have to use anything other than the skin barrier. My stomach is fairly well formed and behaved. I just make sure my skin is bone dry and the wafer is warm before I apply. Of course, I am only 16 months into this journey and things may change. For now, I am thankful I am not having problems.

Daniel

IGGIE
Reply to Mysterious Mose

G-Day my friend,  I thought it was nice to say hello to Sisu in her native tongue.  Regards IGGIE

Mysterious Mose
Reply to IGGIE

I see. Just thought I would ask. I grew up around Finns and it is one ethnic group I miss. There are a great many wonderful things about the Finns. Particularly, their self-deprecating humor. No one can tell a Finn joke like a Finn. They were so much more fun than my stoic Danish relatives. :-)

Daniel

TerryLT
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Hi Daniel,  I don't need to wear rings either and went for a couple of years without.  The reason I switched is I was getting occasional skin irritation around my stoma if I didn't cut the wafer exactly right.  The ring protects your skin and also fills in any gaps so that you don't need to be so careful about cutting the wafer.  The bonus I found is that I get increased wear time with the ring, an extra two to three days at least, so I've stayed with the rings.  Just an FYI.

Terry

Hisbiscus

I too have used 8805 and still.do since 2018. I noticed a difference in a sticky problem. Sticky crap coming out of my bag so i can't even empty without gloves as it's hard as hell to get off your hands and it gets my exzema going on my hands. I called them as well back when i first noticed and they won't admit and do the same thing wanting lot # etc but it's not only one batch it's all. I think they changed them to this new super duper adhesive that melts of you rinse. I like the ones they had back in 2018. Im.allergic to eakin and brava.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to TerryLT

Thanks, Terry. I have used the rings for that very reason. I now use pre-cuts, but nothing is perfect. I do get a little irritation if I am particularly active to where I am bending and twisting. Like in doing yard work. This my first summer with the pre-cuts, so we will see.

Daniel

Mysterious Mose

I was wrong about which rings I have. Actually, they are 8815s, which are the slim version. I also have a box of 7805 from I don't know where.

Daniel

patandwinnie55
Reply to TerryLT

I have successfully used both Hollister 8815 and Coloplast rings (the thicker option). I haven't gotten any "newer" deliveries, so can't comment on possile changes in composition. (When I was having terrible problems with leaking, I reached out to SALTS. They were very nice, but I was told they don't sell in the US.)