Can we eat mochi? Will it cause blockage?

Replies
Views
Innisarden
Apr 29, 2024 11:38 pm

My question relates to the covering of the mochi, the bean paste. Are there any issues with it causing blockage?

AlexT
Apr 30, 2024 3:26 am

I had to look that up and see what it was. Try a little and see how it goes. Usually, blockages come from an overabundance of something.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,864 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

aTraveler
Apr 30, 2024 6:03 am

I am not sure if you are talking about mochi/rice cake since you mention bean paste. Mochi (rice cake) can cause serious obstructions if not chewed thoroughly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5871731/

Caz67
Apr 30, 2024 8:55 am
Reply to AlexT

What the hell is it lol 😆

Mayoman
Apr 30, 2024 11:44 am

Hi, if it's the Mochi soft candy... no problem here, but I'm a veteran, so my belly might accept it easier than a newbie. I actually found it in my local Lidl in Ireland! We have every nationality here now and lots of new foods to try. New immigrants have their advantage, introducing all kinds of new and interesting food to try.

Magoo.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT
Apr 30, 2024 7:10 pm
Reply to Caz67

I'm really not sure because I'm 99.9% sure I'll never try it. 😁

aTraveler
Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm
Reply to Caz67

Mochi (pronounced MOE-chee) is a Japanese dessert made of sweet glutinous rice flour or mochigome. Mochi dough is often tinted with green tea powder (matcha) or other food colorings and wrapped around a sweet center to form a small, bite-sized confection with a chewy, smooth, elastic texture. In its traditional form, this kind of mochi is filled with sweet red bean paste, but in a more modernized version, pastel-colored mochi dough is wrapped around mini scoops of ice cream to make some of the prettiest frozen treats in town. Flavors include chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, mango, coffee, green tea, and sweet lychee.

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/all-about-mochi/

rosebud621
May 01, 2024 2:44 am

I have been told never to eat beans.

AlexT
May 01, 2024 5:55 am
Reply to rosebud621

Unless you have some unique circumstance, that's a bunch of BS. Obviously, you don't want to eat 30 of those things at once, but one here or there isn't any worse than anything else.

Caz67
May 01, 2024 8:20 am
Reply to aTraveler

Thanks, but it looks awful. 😞 I think 🤔 I might give it a miss. Lol 😆 xx

Andrew82
May 04, 2024 4:02 pm

I've had it many, many times, and never once had a problem.  

Bumba
May 04, 2024 6:44 pm

Mochi is a favorite of mine. I have a continent ileostomy. Shouldn't be a problem.

SpaceCowgirl
May 05, 2024 4:10 pm

I never worried about it. I've eaten mochi, the sweet, in many different flavors, some with sweet bean paste inside, some coated in sesame seeds, matcha, etc. No issues. I have an ileostomy. The only foods that cause me a blockage are too much insoluble fiber from vegetables. If I eat too many nuts at once, it can be painful.

oneauman
May 05, 2024 5:04 pm

Lord, I hope not because I have eaten a ton of it out of the frozen dessert section.