Using Johnson's Baby Shampoo for Stoma Washing?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the experiences and recommendations of using Johnson's Baby Shampoo for stoma washing.
Penguins7

Does anyone have any experience with using Johnson's Baby Shampoo to wash around the stoma? I recently discovered that the Dial soap I was using has moisturizer in it. I remember the nurse at the hospital using it when she changed my stoma after surgery. Hopefully, I found the culprit as to why the change with my wafers not staying on very long and leakage recently. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Rod

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xerxes

Penguin,

I discovered many years ago to stay away from any kind of soap containing scents, moisturizers, etc. for the exact reason you are stating. I have always used Ivory and eliminated the wafer problem.

X_

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Penguins7
Hi Xerxes,

Would you not recommend Johnson's Baby Shampoo? What kind of Ivory? Liquid or bar soap?
Thanks. Penguins.
mild_mannered_super_hero

There are more than one Dial soap products. I was told when I first got my operation to use yellow Dial soap...I do use yellow Dial bar soap, I can go 10-12 days on my flange without any problems. Are you using a different "Dial"??

I went so far, and recommend to others, that you take every other soap product out of the bathroom you use when you change your flange....so you never forget (at my age, that is a big problem).
Penguins7

I have been using the Softsoap as I thought there was no moisturizer, but there is. Thanks for your input. I need to get the Liquid Dial for when I travel. Penguins7

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

A product the hospital gave me was a combo body wash and shampoo that I found both gentle and effective. It's called Soothe Cool by Medline. It has a pale green color on the white bottle and has a travel size and several larger sizes. Prices range drastically from one place to another. There are several versions/formulations out there by the same company, so be sure the ad mentions both features. I've not found a supplier willing to work with Medicare (my primary) however.

Notwithstanding, I've been told all liquid soaps have moisturizers. For cleanup around the stoma, I've used either plain water with Q-tips for better control than a washcloth or sometimes with a little bit of Ivory. For travel, if I can't find a travel size, I may make a small cake using a knife on my regular bar.

Slow momma

When mine gets changed, they use a mixture of water and Dial soap to clean around my stoma and then use alcohol prep wipes to clean the area well around the stoma where the wafer goes...wipe it once, let it air dry... Repeat three or four times. That cleans anything off your skin to make the wafer come off quickly. It may sting your skin if it's a little raw, but that will help heal that too. It did mine....
;Barbara

Xerxes

Penguin 7,

I only use the bar Ivory.

X_

mild_mannered_super_hero

To my thinking, you need to get yellow dial bar or ivory bar soap... since these have proven reliable for many years.
Past Member

I have only ever used cool water to clean, wiped and dried carefully with swabs provided in my monthly medical supplies, followed by a barrier wipe. Once that has dried, a 40mm washer which surrounds the stoma goes in place before putting on a daily fresh pouch. I also have flange extensions, which are a great help and confidence booster when going out. This has been my daily routine for nearly 7 years. I don't take the risk of shower gel or soap leaving moisturizer on my skin.
However, with the recent hot weather, I am getting a rash with tiny blisters under the pouch adhesive, which I'm anxious about getting any worse.

WOUNDED DOE
Yup......usually bars of soap with moisturizers, oils or perfumes can cause trouble with barriers and tapes sticking to skin, unfortunately........

I've been an ostomate for nearly 37 years now and there are only a few soaps I personally use, but Ivory being the main one, I almost entirely use just Ivory around the stoma.

(Ivory is also best for people who have sensitive skin allergies)

I belong to a local Ostomy Support Group and many of our members state that they have chosen to use no soap in that area where the pouch will be applied, unless they absolutely have to, they just gently use a soft washcloth repeatedly with warm water then blot dry. Personally, I still prefer soap.

....however ..... I also do in fact use Baby Shampoo as an entire Body Wash, and sometimes around the stoma, just because it's so gentle.....and there is also a brand name of Baby Shampoo called "Parents Choice" sold by Walmart in the Infant aisle that is great, hypoallergenic and free of many unwanted things.

.......though I still support the Ivory bar as best..........

Also, a few other notes to toss out here..... on occasion I use some Natural Homemade Soaps made by some of our local Amish Communities, no oils and such, .... you might be able to find certain 'plain soaps' among those Homemade in a local Organic Store if you have one .......and during the occasional times when my skin becomes irritated and sore for various reasons, one soap that you wouldn't think would be a good idea at all but soothes me is Natural made Beeswax Soap....it's a very hard bar soap and actually seems to help protect my skin from all the wear 'n tear of ripping off pouches........after cleansing the skin area very well, if I have a sore area, I first use a snip of actual Aloe Vera plant leaf to squeeze the healing plant juice directly on the sore area and allow it to completely dry.........then do NOT wash that off.........that sticky, slightly slimy Aloe Vera juice straight from the plant is not only quite healing, but it sort of forms a slight 'seal' like Liquid Bandaid, and it doesn't prevent any barrier or tape from sticking at all ......it's amazing.......

Of course, everyone's skin is different and different tips will work for different people, but it's worth a try if ever needed xoxo

Just throwing some extra ideas out there for you to try.

~Doe
Penguins7

Doe, thanks so much for your insight. Since I discovered the moisturizer in my soap and stopped using it, my wear time was 3 days and it appeared as though it did not need changing. Good luck to you in the future. All the best. Rod

Steve7809

Hello, just thought I'd share what I use. Seven months before my ostomy, I underwent an emergency appendectomy. When I got back home (12 days later and 60 pounds lighter), I had a gash down my stomach 10 inches long and one inch wide. My home care nurse brought me a bottle of MicroKlenz to keep it clean. After my Ileostomy, I still had half a bottle of it left. No doctor or nurse ever told me to use it, I just did. I've been using it ever since. One bottle is about $10 and lasts 9 months to a year (I change every 4-5 days). No water or soap mess or prep, just 3-5 sprays of MicroKlenz and dab with some gauze (repeat if needed). Good luck! - Steve.

Penguins7

Hi Steve, thanks for the tip. Can this product be purchased at a pharmacy or do I need a prescription? I like the fact no water is required as that would be good for an emergency change. Best of luck to you. Wow, how do you manage to get 4-5 days between changes? Do you use a wax ring? Rod

gutenberg
Hi fellow ostimates, some interesting reading here and I thought I'd throw in this question regarding Adapt Barrier Rings or any other barrier ring and my question: do any of the companies who sell these rings make them with different size centers. The ones I use are REF 7805 and the center hole is approximately 1/2 inch which I have to stretch to 7/8 which isn't all that big a deal but as I age the lazier I get so maybe someone can clue me in if they do come in different sizes, thanks, Ed
Green Eyed Lady

Hi Ed... I use barrier rings and as far as I know, they do not come in different sizes because they are flexible and can be stretched and molded to everyone's particular stoma size/shape. I put my barrier rings right onto the inside (stomach area) of my appliance, and that makes it easier to see exactly where the rings should go to match the shape and size of the stoma. I hope this helps, and I find it fairly easy to do this for every change needed. Take care!

gutenberg
Thanks for that Tricia, I have to put my rings on before I put on the pouch 'cause thats the only way I know the ring is exactly where I want it to be and I can see, just to be sure, too old to change my ways, take care, Ed
Steve7809
Hello again Penguins7. Sorry it took a bit for me to get back to you. I buy the MicroKlenz and my 3x3 gauze at my local medical supply store and just pay out of pocket as Medicare doesn't cover them without a prescription. As for my system for 4-5 days wear time, I use Coloplast Sensura one piece (opaque, drainable) #15531. I use the Adapt barrier rings that Gutenberg mentioned #7805. I cut 1 in half, stretch it out, and place it directly to my pouch around the hole I cut. Shave around stoma with an old beard trimmer/shaver, add and wipe away stoma powder if needed, then wipe around stoma with a skin barrier wipe (Coloplast). Let dry (very important). Apply pouch. Warm with hand 3-5 minutes. Lastly, I apply an elastic barrier strip from Coloplast to the area of the flange that always starts to pull away from my skin first. I think these are the best things invented since the bag itself. If in a pinch and I'm careful, I'm sure I could get 7-9 days out of this setup. I do not work for Coloplast! This is just what I found works for me. Sorry so long-winded but... you asked. GO PENGUINS! GO STEELERS!!! Steve.
Slow momma
Hi Steve7809.
I use about the same products you do. Coloplast seems to work for me best so far, but I've just had my ileostomy for 4 months today. They used Hollister when I was in the hospital for 3 months and they didn't work well at all. I get 3 to 4 days out of my bag. I have pretty much all liquid stools so I guess that's why I can't get as many days as some.
I'm with you on the go Steelers!! I'm a huge fan... Can't wait for football to start again!! Woot woot woot.
Homie With A Stomie NS

You may have nailed it. Any soap with moisturizer, oils, fragrances, etc. leaves residue on your skin. Try using a pure unscented soap, like a baby bar, Zest, or Dove for sensitive skin.