Struggling with Post-Surgery Challenges

In this discussion
Replies
Views
pammer

I am not in a good place right now. After seeing the wound care nurse yesterday and putting the ring and flange on right apparently, I woke up at 3:30am with a leak. I haven't slept yet. I am so tired of this and all the trips to the bathroom to empty. I go to the bathroom as much as I did before surgery! I am seriously doubting now if I made the right decision to have the surgery. I know people say it will get easier and I am waiting for that day. It's just not getting better as I hoped.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

scotiaman
Hi, sorry to hear you're still having to deal with the leaks... That said, I hardly ever have one, so let's get this problem solved. So here are a few questions. 1. Are you using a one-piece or two-piece, and what brand? 2. What is the brand name of the ring? 3. Do you have any Cavilon and antibiotic ointment? 4. How many liters of water are you drinking per 24 hours? 5. Do you know how to burp your bag? 6. Do you have access to any Coloplast paste strips? 7. What type of tape do you have on hand? 8. Do you have a firm mattress or a soft one which body forms? I'm home with a cold and will be checking in from time to time. Pammer, this issue can be solved. Let's get an idea of what you have been doing and how we might be able to modify it. Keep smiling, spring's on its way!!!!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
sfgiantsfan
I am sorry you have been having some tough times. I have had the same thing happen to me every so often, and trust me, it will get better!! Don't get too stressed because I have found that the more stressed out I get, the more issues I have with my ostomy and my bowel movements! Have you found a support group in your community?

Have you been keeping track of what foods you are eating? I have a colostomy, so I am not all that sure of how the ileostomy works, but I know for me, I have to be careful what I eat, and I try not to eat too close to when I am going to bed.

I will keep you in my thoughts, and if you have other questions, just ask!
Anoniem18
Hi Pam, I'm really sorry that you're having such problems. I guess I have been lucky, but have had my experiences. Keep at it, it will get better. It did for me eventually (April 2012). I would strongly suggest you get your nurse to provide the Coloplast Brava elastic tape, or alternatively, get some white athletic tape at the dollar store. While this may not prevent the leak from starting, it will contain the leak. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
Ed
Past Member

Your only goal is to get through today; the rest is proverbial gravy or icing, depending...

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
panhead511

Hi Pammer, it's Chris. I am sorry that you are having a difficult time with it all! I'm not going to tell you that it will get any easier with time. As for myself, I still struggle with mine and it has been 6 years. Everyone has good advice on just how to handle it, but as I see it, sometimes it seems like it just gets worse with time. I too have to use the bathroom constantly. It is frustrating... Even though I know that having the ostomy was a good thing because now I have no pain, new challenges arise! I notice that people seem to not want to understand why I have it, but are more focused on their rude comments at times. They might feel that it is easier to be ignorant and obnoxious than it is to try to understand and sympathize with you. It is hard to meet people who take the time to get to know you as you and not the bag. I guess what I am trying to say is that at times I too regret having the surgery. I just have to be strong and accept the fact that I am alive. I do appreciate life more now. I do feel your concern and your pain, I have experienced it too. Take one day at a time and when you feel upset with it all, try to take a deep breath and remember why you got it in the first place, okay? I hope that helps you a little. If you need to talk, I am here, remember that. Most of us here care!!

bes0642
Hey Pammer
I woke up in ICU to find a bag attached. I was so out of it I don't even remember talking to the doctor before the surgery. My surgery was an emergency due to UC. Ended up in ICU 96 days due to blood clot and pneumonia. Then 2 months in rehab. This all occurred in 2005. With all this said, I will tell you as daunting a task it is to learn how to deal with the bag, it does get easier. 9 years later it's a way of life and a routine that I must go through. I'm thankful for the alternative fix that enabled me to continue living for my children and grandchildren. You will eventually get into a routine of how to deal with the bag and it will become a minor inconvenience. You will get some excellent advice from all the nice folks here on the forum. As for other people, just overlook them. They are not in your shoes and most likely will never understand. Best of luck. Be positive and things will work out in the long run.
Bob
moonshine

I have always thought of myself as a girly girly girl.....well now I feel like a chick with a di*k...
It's been 3.5 years and I really don't care anymore.........I went from freak out showers at 2am-throwing out sheets, clothes, blankets, rugs etc.....
Now....ha ha - if I leak in the night I clean up myself so I don't get burned (ileostomy), put a towel over my sheet etc and go back to sleep.....
Funny how things change.

scotiaman

Hi Pammer...just thinking of you...trust that things are working themselves out....drop by sometime and bring us up to date...wishing you all the best..Scotiaman and many others..