Limited Fruit & Veggie Options with Ileostomy - Seeking Advice!

Replies
Views
BillB

I also have a ileostomy and have had two partial bowel blockages. Your small intestine cannot break down certain foods. Fruits and vegetables are okay, but make sure they are cooked so they are soft.

mettajojo

I had a colostomy in 2009 and an ileostomy in 2011. When the stoma nurse told me not to eat nuts (causing blockage), cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower (gas bloating), asparagus, onions... and other vegetables (producing odor), mushrooms, peppers... etc. (indigestion). I replied to her that I would rather die because I am a vegetarian and I do not want to live with only potatoes and carrots limited vegetables for the rest of my life.

Anyway, I was housebound for a year due to complications during the operation (it was an emergency life-saving, not planned), therefore lots of damages while digging my organs to find where was hemorrhaging, and I was in a coma for half a month after the operation, followed by a further three months in an isolation ward. I rebelled against the nurse, tested my body, and ate anything I wanted but also sensibly, since I was tied to the toilet anyway.

I started with only one mushroom, one broccoli flower, two asparagus, 3 almonds or walnuts...etc. Then I increased the vegetable and fruit amount, from one to two, to three..... I deliberately want my intestines to adapt to it, or re-introduction of what I have eaten before.. Of course, you can guess the result: all the symptoms warned by the stoma nurse came, I fart a lot, also bloating (colostomy bag is always full of air) leaks day and night. I really thought I would rather die than live at the time.....three months later the symptoms reduced, and then six months, one year..... I now can eat almost anything I want. After a difficult year, patiently allowing my body to readjust it.

Do I have symptoms now? Yes, occasionally, a few times a month. Basically, I can eat out with friends, but avoid too oily or too much sauces. It is always have more symptoms eating out than eating at home, but I still eat out at least once a week. What I wanted to say is I believe our body can re-learn if we give it time and patience.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

Thank you, Met. You sure went through a lot. I burn badly when I leak, so I cannot be as adventurous. I do hope that you continue to improve.

jonnyuk

Hi all. I had my original ileostomy 10 years ago followed by 2 x hernia repair ops, a serious blockage.. emergency resite to left side.. bio mesh infection and 2 ops to remove infected mesh. I now have a hole on the side of my stoma where it meets my stomach.

Anyway.. my landing area for pouches isn't great and the hole makes this worse.

I've tried every appropriate pouch available over the years and many other products.. rings, pastes .. belts..

I still get ballooning ... but even when liquid output no leaks.

I do believe that with the right combo of products we can overcome leaks. I've had to switch from rings/washers to paste after my last op and even with a damaged stoma no leaks and very minimal sore skin.

I hope you can find a better combination.

I use a one piece with paste and a belt.

Jon

PS: I can eat most stuff (not much corn.. chewed nuts and not much raw veg) and personally I find the pain is if I eat too much. Small meals.. no problems and ideally not too late.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Morning Morning glory...I honestly feel the do not list for us ileos is more precautionary than mandatory.... everyone of us is different, we process different or produce gas differently, etc. so it's a guideline or suggestion list....

It comes down to what you can process and pass through the stoma hole, etc....

I was like you, now I have finally started adding anything I like in moderation to see for myself how belly, bowels, and stumpy react...

Latest addition has been corn on the cob....No matter what I eat, I follow with a bottle of water as well...

Thanks for allowing me to post my 2 cents, have a great Friday

Tracy

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
infinitycastle52777

Fruits and veggies are not good with me most of the time. I have found that canned peas, carrots, and potatoes do work. I never eat raw veggies, and the only raw fruit I eat is melon. I cook apples, nectarines, even mango and peaches. Still comes out looking like it did going in. This week I am trying French-style green beans. In a small amount of course. What I'd really like to have is corn. My ostomy nurse told me to never eat corn or I will get a blockage. Of course that only makes me want it more.
Lee