Here is a way for Vitamin B12

Replies
Views
weewee
Dumb doctors, we have internet now. No pills or shots. Get enough when I am stuck going to see you.

Vitamin B12 is an essential water-soluble vitamin that is commonly found in a variety of foods such as fish, shellfish, meat, and dairy products. Vitamin B12 is frequently used in combination with other B vitamins in a vitamin B complex formulation. It helps maintain healthy nerve cells and red blood cells and is also needed to make DNA, the genetic material in all cells. Vitamin B12 is bound to the protein in food. Hydrochloric acid in the stomach releases B12 from protein during digestion. Once released, B12 combines with a substance called intrinsic factor (IF) before it is absorbed into the bloodstream.
The human body stores several years' worth of vitamin B12, so nutritional deficiency of this vitamin is extremely rare. Elderly are the most at risk. However, deficiency can result from being unable to use vitamin B12. Inability to absorb vitamin B12 from the intestinal tract can be caused by a disease known as pernicious anemia. Additionally, strict vegetarians or vegans who are not taking in proper amounts of B12 are also prone to a deficiency state.
A day's supply of vitamin B12 can be obtained by eating 1 chicken breast plus 1 hard-boiled egg plus 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt, or 1 cup milk plus 1 cup raisin bran.
/section /category
junopete

WeeWee

This is what the article did not say. Most Vitamin B-12 is absorbed in the lower part of the stomach, the duodenum. Many have to take B-12 injections periodically, as I once did.
I now take it under the tongue, it seems to work. I don't have a lower stomach or colon.

Also, be aware of medical information on the internet. It tends to be generic and may not apply to a person's specific body or metabolism.

Often, articles or information on a drug or illness will conflict with each other.

Rick.....

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,366 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

weewee

Hehehe
The whole point basically was that you can find foods or a lot of weightlifting drinks that supply a lot of vitamins that we need, and you don't have to go to the doctor all the time. I know I can't afford all the crap they want me to buy, so I look it up on the internet in WebMD or other search engines to find what I need. But also, you gave another way of getting B12 that I never heard of and would rather take it like that than getting shots all the time.

banshie3by5
Good info for those who aren't missing the essential piece of gut. However, B12 is only absorbed in a small bit of the small intestine (I thought it was more the ileum, but am not positive. The surgeon said he'd had to remove the B12 piece, and I had the ileum out, so I put them together. I had other cut pastes, so I could be confused.) Anyway, if you had that piece removed, as I did, you can eat all the B12 you like and you won't absorb it.

Also, part of digestive illness is malabsorption. So once again, you can eat as much as you want, in the best diet you can find, but if your guts aren't absorbing then it just doesn't matter. First I lost 60# in 4 months. Then I gained almost 100# in a year -- while progressively becoming more and more malnourished. My body, in starvation/malabsorption mode, was grabbing every lipid, which is absorbed through the liver. But I was flushing all the nutrients. (Oh, and the docs assumed my weight gain = health. It was when I was sent to out of town for "ovarian cancer" that it was found. It wasn't cancer, I was septic malnourished.)

As I have brittle pernicious anemia, I've done quite a bit of research per force. Remember that it's not just B12 that you need. You have to have B1 and B9 to hold onto the B12, also. If your doc doesn't already do so, make sure they do a FULL chem panel to check these at least twice a year. It takes 3 months to grow a new red blood cell from scratch so there are no quick fixes.

Unfortunately so little is known about how to feed us ostomates such....even by the gastroenterologists who are supposed to know more than us. Hence my drive to become an ET nurse!

If you're ever interested, I came up with an easy color-by-numbers way to try and get nutritional needs met with food. I can't take supplements as my body reacts to the preservatives and packing.

Thank you for sharing this article with us!
Maryellen

I would be very interested in hearing more about your nutritional research. And thank you for the info so far. It has been very helpful.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hey, I would like your info on how to get the most out of food. I'm having a real hard time getting what I need out of it because I can't eat raw food anymore, only canned or well-cooked veggies.

Now, I struggle with strange symptoms: nausea, lack of appetite, feeling full after only a few bites.

Please email me. I have an ileostomy that came about because of colon cancer. I bought a pack of B-12 patches, but they don't really help. My malabsorption is worse because of my liver disease.

Past Member

Hey, I would like your info on how to get the most out of food. I'm having a real hard time getting what I need out of it because I can't eat raw food anymore, only canned or well-cooked veggies.

Now, I struggle with strange symptoms: nausea, lack of appetite, feeling full after only a few bites.

Please email me. I have an ileostomy that came about because of colon cancer. I bought a pack of B-12 patches, but they don't really help. My malabsorption is worse because of my liver disease.

Past Member