Is it possible Crohn's could be masked by having an ileostomy?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
lottagelady
Hi anyone -
Following a question I asked in another thread and based on Does reply -
Is it possible that I may have Crohn's or UC or something and we can't tell because I have an ileostomy - how would it present itself in that case, any ideas?
Currently experiencing
bad gastric reflux/horrid taste in mouth
bloating
nausea
fatigue
muscle aches/tics/generalized pain all over
sleep disorder - apnea and drowsiness during day
bad skin - especially hands, very dry and cracked despite constant moisturizing
blurred vision
frequent dizziness
The above has been put down to my huge hernia/diabetes/depression and fibromyalgia - just wondered if it rang bells with anyone as I initially only had my ileostomy to facilitate wound healing of a fistula, but the fistula is a mystery, no Crohn's at the time, no birth trauma etc...

Is there a simple test to show Crohn's to rule it out?

Rach xx
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Gus
Hi Rach,
There's no simple test for Crohn's or UC. It's a series of blood tests, endoscopies, colonoscopies, etc. Some of your symptoms are similar to Crohn's, but actually nailing what the root cause is should be left to a gastroenterologist. Crohn's disease affects the digestive tract from the anus right through to the mouth. Some of us are lucky, so to speak, that it was contained in the colon/rectum area. Other poor souls get it in the mouth, throat, and suffer badly from ulcers and pain. UC is mostly contained in the colon. Similar to Crohn's, except it attacks the colon.

So sorry, chick. I might not have been much help to you except for some information and maybe where to find out.

Take care.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lottagelady

Thanks Steve - will have a Google, but reckon I will find someone here who will be able to help more!
xx

Jax
Hi Rach,

I found this site for you to look at - http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0815/p707.html.

These, plus other symptoms, are ones that I had. I would suggest you see your GP or GI immediately if you feel the way you write about.

I hope I have helped you out.

Jax
Past Member

For dry cracked hands, have you tried taking fish oil capsules?
At night, I moisturize my hands and then put silver gloves on for the night.
You can get silver gloves from www.raynaulds.org.uk.
This is what it says about them:
These gloves are made from a specialized medical product using a safe and natural pure silver, providing natural healing. Dry cracked hands can be treated by wearing cotton/silver fiber gloves. $10.75 for 2 pairs.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member
Lottage -

It's been nice to have you in the community.

I forgot how you got the ileo but having that alone causes the symptoms of diarrhea and such. No colon, no formed stool.

As Steve said, Crohn's is ruled out by the scopes, SED rates, fever, chills, etc. They can see our lesions in the digestive tract. Mine was confirmed when I had my first bowel resection as they were able to see the cellular changes all the way through the bowel wall.

However, you have several other autoimmune chronic illnesses with major symptoms. It must be frustrating to try to see how it all works together if it does. You poor dear.

I must say I know others with autoimmune illnesses like fibro, lupus, Crohn's, and arthritis. We all seem to have similar responses to similar meds. Somebody smarter than me must be working on a correlation.

We don't know the direct cause of Crohn's yet. We don't all have the same symptoms. We don't have a simple blood test to confirm it yet. We don't even have the same methods of treatment yet!

Most of all, we don't have the answers you are seeking. It took my doctor two years of tests and a surgery to confirm mine. You certainly can't find confirmation here with an online forum or on Google.

I too recommend seeing a gastroenterologist.

Let us know how it goes.
Best,
Imperfect
WOUNDED DOE
Hey Rach....there's some really good info pouring in here....It is unfortunate that Crohn's is still such a big ugly mystery. We have many of the same symptoms (from whatever is at the root of our problems) .....that doesn't mean you have Crohn's, I sure as heck hope not, but the reason I bring it up is because I have found that in dealing with many of these things, both Milk Thistle and Fish Oil have helped many of the symptoms we both share on your list. Wanted to toss that into the mix in case you want to give it a try. You sure are dealing with a lot, stay close to us and let's keep comparing notes in here....the info exchanged among patients can be very helpful, indeed, and sometimes more helpful than what is read in books or heard from our doctors....and also keep in mind, each doctor has their own angle on certain things regarding explanations and treatments, and general diagnosis.......hence, another good reason those suffering from our types of problems can often learn more from each other.
lottagelady

Thanks all for your replies .....

Got a new load of meds to try for this reflux last Monday - going back again next Monday as it has made things worse! The taste in my mouth is more horrible than before and I am now having to take a bucket to bed just in case I am sick as I now feel as though I am going to be.

Suspect I will need a scope at some point but that would be one procedure I would not be able to tolerate!

Will let you know how it goes, but still suspect heading for a hospital visit in the nearish future as I am now passing wind where I shouldn't be able to!

Thanks again

Rach xx