I must be a marsupial (kangaroo)

Replies
Views
beyondpar

I am an American and this might play differently abroad, but this is my view and my mission and that is to change the stigma associated with being an ostomate. And it begins with the word BAG.........Bag has and is easy to attach a negative or foul word with.........ie............bag of crap, bag of shit, he looks like a bag man (homeless), bag of doo doo etc...........It is a word that doesn't conjure up thoughts of sweet smelling roses or good positive thoughts as well....It starts in a negative space and we need to change that.

My thought is we all start using the word Pouch and this is why I say this...........I was at a client's house who did not know I was an ostomate and when I explained that I had a pouch (I did not say bag, for if I did say bag, their next line would be "I am so sorry to hear that"), His next line was.........."Oh, you are marsupial and we all started to laugh.....I said I guess you are right...........It led to immediate understanding and laughter and to me that was and is a good place to start..............Let's all start using the word Pouch. It will help us in our acceptance as well as the rest of mankind's immediate word association to a good place and not a bad or negative place..................Love to you all............Your fellow Marsupial..........Michael

Who doesn't smile when thinking about Kangaroos?...........We all smile............

Mr1981Neil
I hate the word "bag" and I have ever since I got into this ostomy business... Other than a few times in the very beginning of having an ostomy, I never use the word, and I hate to hear it.

What I also really dislike is when people describe having this kind of surgery as having a bag done, having a bag fitted, he/she had surgery to have a bag, things like that. I have heard it many times in hospitals and other places, and it really annoys me! I would rather hear something like "they had to have an ostomy".
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Yes, our native animals absolutely rock and to be associated with them can only be good, hey!

Cheers from Skippy the Bush Kangaroo!!!
funnygurl

No matter what you call it, an ostomy is most people's worst nightmare and it is in fact full of shit. I believe it is not what you label it but rather how you choose to live in spite of it. Life has been and continues to be good to me, call it what you will.

gutenberg
I'd love to see the Joey with the bottle up to its mouth and a half dozen or so sticking out of its pouch, or is it BAG, like as in us folks. Ed

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
gutenberg
Hi Ya Michael, interesting post, got me to thinking because I interchange pouch for bag and it depends on the company I'm in. Also I usually say I have a colostomy rather than use Ileostomy, seems most people have never heard of an ileostomy and I hate having to explain the difference, maybe I should start changing that habit if we have to educate the public about all the different reasons to have a pouch. Ed
WOUNDED DOE

Great post, big bro! Okay, Michael.... Pouch it is!! It does seem a lot nicer, sounds better, and leaves a lighter impression in everyone's mind..... yup, I like it.

Love and hugs to everyone from your Doe

Past Member

I've never used a bag myself. I always used a pouch myself. I'm a marsupial!

eddie

I mean no offense Michael, but isn't that just being politically correct (which I think is way out of control)? It is what it is. Bag is just a word, 50 years from now "pouch" may carry an unwanted association. We accept it because we must, people who love us accept it because they do love us, not a bag, pouch, or whatever. Anyway, this is just another point of view. Whatever the individual is comfortable with works.
Thanks,
Eddie

Past Member

"Bag" or "pouch" I just tell people that really want to get into the details that my waste elimination system is just in a different place than theirs - and sometimes a lot more convenient as a result.