Blockages

In this discussion
Replies
Views
babsk43
I have an ileostomy for the past 11 years and have been bothered by blockages off and on. I knew that they were not caused by food because I have stayed away from corn, nuts, dried fruit, and a few other things that I found out caused the blockages in the beginning.

My gastroenterologist through the years has done all the tests to try to see where they are coming from. The symptoms are pain on the right side(like labor pain), no output, and many times vomiting. They last usually from8-12 hrs and finally do pass. I usually stop eating when I get the pain, drink fluids, and go for long walks.

This month we did one last test, the capsule endoscoopy, the pill you swallow and it takes pictures of your gut and then it expels itself most of the time. It is made by Given, a company in Israel. Finally the answer to my blockages has been solved and it is exactly what I thought it to be, ADHESIONS.

Babs
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

C Cogan
Hello: Thank you for your post on blockages. I have never had one and am glad that the cause of the problem in your case has been identified. This type of blockage could happen to any of us, so thanks for your input. CCogan
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
liztn
What is the solution? I am scheduled for surgery to correct a hernia which the dr says will cause more serious trouble in the future.