10 Tips for Newbies: Advice from a Newbie

Replies
Views
matts12
Today is the three-month anniversary of having my surgery and getting my stoma. It was a tough decision, but it was the right decision. I feel so much better now. And so far, living with an ostomy is even easier than I thought it would be.

I did have the luxury of being able to take the time I needed to make up my mind about surgery and do the research. Still, there have been a few things I had to find out on my own (or just didn't see when I was looking.) I took a minute and put a list together. Please let me know what you think. As a relative newbie, I'm not sure I should be advising others. Still, I would have appreciated someone sharing these tips with me when I had my operation.

1) Change your pouch in the tub or shower for easy cleanup.

2) When removing the barrier (especially after surgery), remove it starting on the side opposite your belly button. This is good if you're still sore around your incision as you don't have to mess with peeling in sensitive areas until the end where it comes off much more easily.

3) Apply the new barrier while standing and arching your back a bit. You want your abdomen to be as flat as it gets.

4) Shave the area where you are applying the barrier if necessary.

5) This one's all over the place but can't be stressed enough: make sure the area is dry before attaching your barrier!

6) For cut-to-fit barriers, I find it's better to cut the barrier too tight than too loose. As long as I'm not choking the stoma, there's no irritation or bleeding, and I still get output, I don't worry about the barrier coming right up against it. So far so good. (Would love to hear a WOCN/Stoma Nurse's take on this...)

7) Guys, "wifebeater" or "muscle" style t-shirts work great to keep a "low profile".

Homemade deodorizing lubricant: mix 1 part water-based lubricant (KY or similar), 1 part mouthwash, and 4 parts water in a cleaned, empty dish soap squeeze bottle and squeeze this into your pouch a few times a day when you empty it

9) Ostomy belts are great, and I wear one snugly all the time (except in the shower). But pretty much any other accessory should be considered carefully. Caveat emptor.

10) If wearing a seatbelt bothers you, you can jam a plastic card in the buckle so the tension will only be across your shoulders, and you can wear the lap belt loosely. It holds pretty well, and if you stop suddenly or (god forbid) crash, the card will pop out and allow the lap belt to function properly. (I should probably get some pictures of this next time I'm in my car to help explain.)

Hope this helps someone out there. Feel free to add or critique! Thanks!
Bluezz

Really good list!
Ok... so I am not a guy but #7... I wear a "manbeater" everyday...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,423 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

matts12

Touche! I guess I don't see too many women in "manbeaters" ... and it's a crying shame.

Glad it works for all of us!

Past Member

Women in manbeaters should be a euphemism of something if I ever heard one.

I also had the luxury of time before my surgery, but I used it to prepare myself for what was to be permanent vs all-out research.

I'm almost 15 months post, and here's a good nugget:

When emptying, sooner rather than later, not just even if it is half full, especially if it is, and always before bed. And when it comes to the bedtime empty, no matter how little; in fact, after crawling into bed and you have more output, I'd suggest compelling yourself to get back to the toilet and empty that!

bob.hewson

I am newer than you, [just two months] and I had no time before my surgery, they found aggressive cancer and the bladder had to go straight away.

You are a very game man using terms like "Wifebeater" in any forum, but even as a very newbie I have found that my wife's elastic slip type thing she wears holds my bag very closely to my side and a close fitting top is still possible.

As I am 62, I am not into muscle shirts but they would not be too revealing with the correct underclothing.

Bob

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
austen

Some good tips there, Matt. I had my operation just over 4 weeks ago, so to get some tips like that saves a lot of trial and error.

Keep them coming.

mooza

Ileo gel from Braun looks like a small bag of powder but turns any watery substance into a thick gel ....just a tip mooza ...I won't leave home without a little bag of them ....

matts12

I've read about those "thickening powders" and wonder if cornstarch would do the same thing. Been meaning to try it out.

And for the record, I hate the term "wifebeater" shirt. It's just that where I'm from, the term is instantly recognizable - more so than any other. You'll find yourself saying, "You know... those tank top undershirts? Muscle shirts?" *blank stares* "Wifebeater?" "Ooooooooooooh! Why didn't you say so?"

Cheers!

matts12

@sinfulsot That's great advice. I usually empty out before hopping in a car too. There are just times when it makes sense even if it isn't full.

PJT

Good tips, Matt. After 32 years, I'm still learning! I've actually been working on a list of my own which I'll hope to finalize and post eventually. Thanks.

NEWLIFE 56

Hi, that list you are working on just might have something useful for someone else and you could be working on it forever. So hey, post it and keep adding ..... just post it now, you probably have the answer to a question and after reading your list the light bulb will go off and say, thanks so much.. I needed to hear that. Just a thought.

NEWLIFE 56

Hi Matt,
I don't have to have mine as an emergency, so the pressure is off and I feel so much better. Thanks for all of your tips, really appreciate you sharing. My cat is jealous of this computer so will talk later. Thanks again.

Past Member

Excellent list! My surgery was 10 years ago this month and I've never been healthier!!!
Jackie
Orillia,
Ontario

matts12

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, another tip: Googly Eyes.
https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2897

vulcanBMk2

Works for me, but I'm Urostomate.

Before peeling your old bag off -- Tuck the new one under your armpit to warm up (One piece) -- Peel off backing -- ready to rock 'n' roll, all nice, warm, sticky, pliable...

Just a thought!!

matts12

Hey, that armpit tip makes a lot of sense. Gonna try it next time! Thanks!

Past Member

Matts12 - I read your blog and appreciate all you said. Seeds of wisdom. It isn't always easy to follow but very good guidelines and well said. Stay in your personal power.