Pouch Tearing - Tips for Avoiding Mishaps!

Replies
Views
lynsie

Went to empty pouch (sometimes able to stand up and release into bowl - lol) either lifted too high or pulled? Tore pouch near seal (Hollister) - thought it was flange, so changed everything and cleaned up. Later back in the bathroom to check the flange adhesive and again I think I lifted too high and POP, this time noticed it was just pouch not flange, changed and wondering why?? (Old Hollister pouches) just with roll/lock. Be careful next time releasing!!! Good thing I did laundry yesterday and was at home!! Due to stomach surgery, there's any kind of skin roll under stoma!!! - will see family doctor next week, surgeon in 2 weeks. Hate to gain weight and make this skin roll worse!! - just freaking weird!! Again glad I'm at home.

Jamie93

That's exactly what's happening all the time with my stoma. The bag looks as though it's bending whenever I bend over or sit down. It makes it awkward to do anything with a lot of exercise involved.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

wolfie45

I wonder if Hollister has changed how they make the appliances? I have had tearing on my pouch that I have used for 30+ years suddenly, as well as leakage at the faceplate. I had never had these problems before, so it struck me as strange.

manbag

I switched to Convatec and knock on wood, they have never let me down. I have a lot of trouble with Hollister.

tragicallydave

Hollister (HELLister) has many problems.
The flange does not stick as well.
The clear plastic piece between the 'Sticky Part' and the 'Pouch Attachment Ring' seems to be more fragile. I have torn these several times thinking it was leaking elsewhere.
I am hating Hollister. I told them so.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lynsie

Interesting...never had problems with Hollister before. I think I may have pulled too hard. Careful now, I know this was the old filter pouches, not with the new roll/lock. I'm glad these mishaps happened in the bathroom! LOL. It's been 9 months since surgeries (6 in all, coma for 3 weeks, skin graft)...enjoying my coolers still!! Same foods pretty much, just chew thoroughly, some small meals more!

Past Member

I used Hollister for years too but have never had tearing. However, the UK brand Salts has "nicks" in the flange that fits better around any rolls/fat!! Maybe try that..............

gutenberg
WOUNDED DOE

Lynsie, there has been a real problem with the seals in some of the Lock 'n Roll and a few other Hollister pouches over the last four or five months. There has been a manufacturing flaw in many, many pouches, and the seams are not sealed as they should be. This is also a topic that came up in my local Ostomy Support Group, and people have been dealing with Hollister to tackle the problem. Only one girl so far has received compensation and free new pouches. Just letting you know, I too have had problems with failing seals, and it's always near the bottom side of the pouch close to the roll part :/ I now use a different style because it seems Hollister has not yet corrected the problem.

nogutz

I too was having leaks from the bag. It was from where the plastic ring and plastic meet, and on the flange on the clear part too. Also, I changed name brand. Now with Coloplast and happy with the product. They stick very well. Good wear time.

budd002
I had the same problem, but mine was at 12:00, well more like 1:00 really. I took pictures and emailed them to my Hollister rep, and she sent me an entire new box. Not too pleased with the quality they are putting out these days.