Experiences with Ostomy Bag Reversal and Hernia Surgery?

Replies
Views
clairebrownedelmar

I'm having a reversal soon and am interested in experiences others have had. I'm also having a large hernia taken down at the same time. Is this something anyone has also experienced?

Thank you.

CrappyColon

What type of reversal are you having?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,628 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose

Do you have a colostomy or an ileostomy? Do you have your colon and rectum?

DexieB

Thank you for posting this question because I too am having reversal surgery/hernia repair in a few months!

IGGIE

G-Day Claire & DexeiB,  As Mysterious Mose said, are you colostomy or an ileostomy? Do you have your colon and rectum? Read a bit more into going for a reversal. I had 18 years of problems with a J-Pouch before going back to a stoma. I wish I had got the Stoma first and stayed with it. With a reversal I was always looking for a toilet and having accidents at night when you have no control, plus the feeling of wanting to go to the toilet was painful like contraction. I don't want to scare you but think hard about it. Regards IGGIE

By the way "I love my Stoma"

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
DexieB
Reply to IGGIE

Hi. I am missing my sigmoid colon, which was removed on emergency due to perforation during a minor procedure. I have a colostomy. Met with the surgeon on 10/25 and he is scheduling me for reversal in January! I will be meeting with him one more time to ask all my questions, but from what he told me, these types of reversals have a high success rate. Hope that's true! Thank you.

GraceFalls

My ostomy reversal is February 19. It has to be open. I want it so badly, but recovering from open surgery is a long road.

DexieB
Reply to IGGIE

My reversal will be January 30! Excited and terrified all at the same time...

IGGIE
Reply to DexieB

Keep us up to date and I hope all is well. Regards, Iggy

TnMike46

My colostomy reversal is scheduled for December 18.  According to my well respected surgeon, I shouldn't have any problems.  I sure hope not and I'm ready.  My biggest concern at the moment is the packing for a week.  Hope it's my only significant issue.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to TnMike46

If you have all your inside pieces and they are healed and healthy, you stand a very good chance of not having problems. I truly hope it goes well for you and I hope you will keep us apprised of your progress. Every positive outcome can bring hope and information to others.

Daniel

clairebrownedelmar
Reply to CrappyColon

I have a colostomy bag.  I've had it for 3 years.  I originally got it because of chronic constipation.  The surgeon said he would take it down when I could expel a balloon filled with 50 mg. of air.  I've been working with a physical therapist to do that.  In the meantime I developed 2 hernias - one very large under my bag and another on the other side of my stomach which is smaller.  The surgeon has decided to "take the bag down" and at the same time have my hernias repaired.

Differentclass
Reply to DexieB

Hi Dexie. I am on the list for reversal early next year too. I am sure you will be good, please let us know how it goes for you.

MoeMoe

Hi, yes please keep us updated on your reversals and progress.  Many of us look for the positives of reversals. I’m still researching on whether or not it’s the right choice for me. Good luck, take care!