Diet Recommendations Before Ostomy Reversal Surgery

Replies
Views
StomaTessy

I will have my ostomy reversal in a couple of months. Is there a particular diet I should follow before then?

DexieB

Hi there. I am also having a reversal (Colostomy reversal - January 30). My surgeon didn't mention any diet, but my wound nurse told me to start consuming higher protein (eggs, yogurt, protein shakes, tuna, lean red meat, etc.) and also gave me some samples of something called Juven, a powder to make a nutritional drink that has collagen in it for faster wound healing. She also gave me coupons for it in case I like it - I haven't tried it yet, because I'll start that like a month beforehand. But I have already started drinking Premier Protein drinks each day - they have 30 g of protein. Each person is different, so check with your care team - but this is what was advised for me. I wish you the best of luck with your reversal!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,628 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon

What type of ostomy do you have? Proteins, like already mentioned, are really good for your body's healing process.

Mysterious Mose

I have the same question as Jodie. What type of ostomy do you have? Do you have your colon? Are all the pieces there? In addition to what Dexie has said, you should also be doing pelvic floor exercises, especially if you have an ileostomy with no colon or a partial colon. Walking a lot is good for your pelvic floor. The stronger, the better.

Daniel

DexieB
Reply to Mysterious Mose

That is great advice. I forgot to say, my surgeon did advise walking 1 hour per day - so thank you for bringing this up!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mysterious Mose

Yes. As you know, I decided against reversal myself. However, I still walk 3-4 miles a day, 5-6 by the time I am done with my chores. :-)

DexieB
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I understand why you decided against it. I almost did as well, so I can't blame you a bit. I commend you for walking so much! Between my full-time desk job and long commute, it's hard to stay active. But as they say - if you don't make time for your wellness, you'll be forced to make time for your illness... I need to quit making excuses ;). Good for you!

Mysterious Mose
Reply to DexieB

You have a colon and I do not. You are young and I am not quite so. You're going to be fine. However, keeping your pelvic floor strong is just as important as proper nutrition. I don't know what your work situation is. When I was working, I was fortunate enough to be in an area that has tons of walking and bike paths. I used to use my lunchtime to get in at least a 20 to 30-minute walk. Not everyone has that luxury.

Daniel

gentlejohn

The experts for pre- and post-op diets are dietitians. They can make a lot of suggestions.

DexieB
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thanks 😊. I agree with you on the walking. I typically do 20 minutes at lunch, but some days I struggle to fit both eating and walking into the one 45-minute break I get during the day. But I absolutely need to figure it out, like maybe getting up earlier and walking before work. I know it is equally important to nutrition, as you said. Thanks so much for the reassurance, I appreciate it!

StomaTessy
Reply to CrappyColon

I have an ileostomy. I am on the protein.

StomaTessy
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I have an ileostomy. Thank you for your recommendations.

StomaTessy
Reply to DexieB

Very helpful information. Thank you!