Wound care

Replies
Views
Stoma midlands

Hi , I've just had a reversal and I am navigating some unexpected problems.  The open wound came as a shock as I assumed I would be stiched up  after surgery.  Was this a surprise for anyone else ? Thanks Hayley 

DexieB

Hi, my reversal is coming up on Jan 30.  I was told my stoma site would be open and have to heal from the inside out.  I wish you a speedy recovery! 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,627 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Stoma midlands
Reply to DexieB

Hi Dexie , thanks for your response.  I think I may have been so excited to finally get the reversal that I asked to few questions before!  It's good to know it's the normal process and it's a little more recovery than expected but I'm in week 3 post op and the site is slowly closing and healing up now .

I'm glad you are well informed and wish you the best in your recovery!  

CrappyColon

Hi! Did you have a colostomy reversal? Like Dexie said, having a wound site open because of how it heals from the inside out is the current way they let it heal. My abdominal colon was removed from the stoma site and with having an autoimmune condition & being off/on steroids the wound site been really slow to fully heal. I’ve been getting laser treatments every 3 months to help the process along. I was more prepared for wound care after the second surgery. My worst rude awakenings after surgeries were 1) not being told that my original navel would be gone (plastic surgeon made a new one, it’s not the same 😜) and 2) having a vena cava filter removed and not being told they took it out through a vein in my neck.

Stoma midlands
Reply to CrappyColon

Hi ! Yes I had a reversal last week . I had a longer than average hospital stay as I have a few injuries after a road accident last year.  I'm still under care for a few things and I'm on quite alot of medication and painkillers  which makes things a bit tricky. 

At home after being discharged my bowels came to a complete holt and I was re-admitted when my stomach looked closed to explosion 💥.

Fortunately CT scan shows no blockage,  just a severely impacted bowel . I'm currently on IV fluids and have queried doctors about the possibility of mediation I'm taking being the issue and I think I will have to make a choice myself for the best for right now .

You all seem so knowledgeable which is comforting for me! The bloating and the open wound freshly made is a little scary and I'm quite honestly having a rare panic moment which I'm sure will pass . 

Well it sounds like you also woke up with a few little surprises. I seem to also have a belly button looking nothing like the one I once loved lol . But I can live with that I guess :)

I see alot of you have had the initial surgery due to cancer , digestive issues  or similar problems and i wish you the best in  your personal journey!

Mine was put in due to injuries which basically took away my bottom and that needed to be diverted so I could have surgeries to put my back passage back  together the best they could and heal. 

Thank you for your advice:)

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Justbreathe

Hello Haley - and welcome to this site.  It was very near life-saving for me or at the very least mind-saving.  You have certainly been dealt a difficult life changing situation since your accident and, in time, you will hopefully have a complete recovery.  In time, are the key words here regarding your stoma recovery.  Knowledge is power and this site is full of that with a bit of humor thrown in which is the best healer of all.  Your own ability to sort through things and realize each individual on this site is just that - AN INDIVIDUAL - read and learn but in the final analysis you need to consider your own internal and external uniqueness.  Learn but don’t compare.  You are early in this recent stoma reversal surgery and you will definitely have ups and downs but hopefully only for a short time.  Best wishes to you on your road to a speedy and complete recovery resulting from your accident.  hugs to you, jb

Morning glory

Welcome  to the site and I am wishing a speedy  recovery.

rnourie

My reversal was on November 15 and I too had an open wound that was packed with gauze floss and bandaged each day. The packing is to ensure that the wound heals from the bottom up and not simply over the wound. Mine was completely healed after about four weeks. I understand that this is common practice because by definition, being a bowel surgery, the wound site is in a "dirty field" and subject to infection. Mine has healed nicely and it's great to be showering with the wound closed at this point. I hope all else goes well for you in the recovery and in getting to a new normal that works for you.

Newhere

Hello Haley, When they closed my old stoma site, they kind of stitched half together and the other half was left open and it took a while to slowly heal over. Just take it easy, No lifting, straining ect, Take care Bill.

Nurse
Reply to DexieB

My reversal is scheduled for February 13.  I have been told my stoma would be left op n and have to heal from the inside out also.