Dermacol - Prevents Leaks and Peristomal Irritations

Replies
Views
sweede
Hi Folks, sweede here,
It was put to me after reasearching hydrocollides, that there is a new innovation from Salts Healthcare, and i have to admit is an ingenious solution for leaks and peristomal skin irritations due to waste touching the skin, i have decided to share this information with you if i may.....I will post the product description in full.

Red, sore and itchy skin could be a thing of the past, thanks to a novel new product from Salts Healthcare. Dermacol is a unique stoma collar that provides a leakproof barrier around the base of the stoma, preventing output from coming into contact with the skin.
The hydrocolloid used for Dermacol has been specially selected to give a high tack/quick grab onto the skin, and to be very soft and flexible, without causing skin irritation. The washer has a clear release film and includes a thumb tab for easy removal.

The exact height of the collar has been carefully selected, following extensive user assessments over the last three years. Dermacol can be used on stomas that are very slightly oval, but should not be used on retracted stomas.

Thin and flexible, the Dermacol stoma collar moves with the body as the patient bends, twists and turns, staying in contact with the stoma. The unique collar is made from Alphathane, a new patented polyurethane formulated to resist the output from ileostomies (and can olso be used for urostomies). The Dermacol collar is extremely soft and pliable. In fact, the collar stretches proportionately to three times its own diameter. This allows for normal peristaltic movement of the stoma.

There are two easy ways to use Dermacol, whether you use a one-piece pouch or a two-piece system. You can attach the Dermacol to your skin first, then put their pouch on in the usual way. Or you can attach it to their pouch first (or attach it to their flange first if they're a two-piece user), then fit both around the stoma. Dermacol is easy to remove and comes away with the pouch or flange when they are changed.

Salts Healthcare is a U.K ostomy manufacturing company, so contacted them to enquire as to wether they also distribute products over seas, and they do, they informed me that they have departments in many countries, further to this, if there is not an outlet in your country, you may contact them direct and they will mail the products over to you from their U.K office.

I hope this is of help to the many out there that are suffering from leaks and peristomal skin problems.
Sweede.x
softncuddly

Thanks for the great information. I'm wondering if they sell products in Canada? I know Convatec has a new product out that sounds very similar, but I'm interested to know more about this product. I'm going to go and research it some more. This is one of the reasons I love this site so much. I learn something new every time I log on.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Thank you Sweede.. great information.. I'm a recent Ostomate, and find I still have a lot to learn about caring for it... this really helps as I often do have issues with leaking and skin irritation.
Thanks again.
Rick

Morpheus
Hi,
I tried the Dermacol collar and haven't looked back.
Compared to the pastes and barrier strips, they are fantastic in every way.
They're flexible enough to fit my stoma and last for several days.
I only recently had an ileostomy in March 2009 and am so glad someone came up with the better technology.

Cheers,
Morpheus
Jax
Hi, I am new to this site and work in a local ostomy association. We got these in just 6 months ago here in Queensland, Australia, and I found that I cannot use them but cannot use any rings. They have become very popular though and giving Hollister and Dansac a run for their money. It really all depends on how long your stoma is when it contracts in and out.

About time someone came out with something that helps most of us!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Morpheus

I've discovered that I can roll the edge over to form a smoother snug fit. It halves the length of the collar.
My stoma is oval shaped but as long as it fits within the base opening, the collar is flexible enough to seal against the mucosal tissue.
I also apply a small amount of paste to the inside of the collar to fill any gaps around the oval shaped base of my stoma. The excess just squeezes out of the top.
It usually lasts about 3 days and I change it to prevent any leakage.

Cheers,

Paul

car1951

Sounds wonderful - who handles them in this country?

mooza

Hey Sweede, been a long, long time. Yep, I have used the DC28 collars. Yep, they help. Been here in Australia for a few months now. How is your little pouch program going?

JoyfulPromise

I am very interested in learning if there is a product such as this stoma collar you have described that can be used on retracted stomas... I have a very, very slight retraction and suffer from pain and irritation to the point I have to remove the wafer and simply stay home a couple of days to get rid of the irritation. Then it comes back after I start wearing the wafer and pouch again. Recently, it has gotten worse and some days it is almost more than I can bear. It causes shooting pains like needles sticking me around the stoma as well as serious irritation to all skin under the wafer. I am also concerned about the skin breaking down around the stoma from the pressure constantly applied by the plastic convex in my wafer. I cannot wear any additional pastes or adhesives due to allergies to any products I have tried so far. I do have a large hernia and am supposed to have it repaired in June. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

mooza

Hey, I also use Coloplast shallow one-piece base plate that helps so much. The stoma collar is okay, but I won't wear it all the time. It's a bit hard because the collar part is very soft, and you have to get the rubbery bit into the hole in the pouch bit. But give it a go, don't try, you will never know? True, but the shallow base plate pushes the stoma out, and that's been great for me. My stoma retracts a little as well, and you need to get out of the house and live. That's why we all had our ops, all avenues, right? Never say never. I just found it a little tough on my skin, but you could also try Eakin seals slims. They are pretty good as well. xx Mare code is 839500 Eakin slims moulable seals, so you mold the seal around the stoma and try the little collars. Sorry, mine was DC29. Let us know how you get on. xxx

Past Member

Apparently, the entire Salts Ostomy lineup is now available in Canada through a company called Argyle Medical... My ET had me try some of their seals (Secureplaste) and they were phenomenal - significantly longer wear time. I am having much better success on these products than the others I've worn since surgery in 2009.

OstoMy

The Dermacol is available in Canada, in fact all the Salts ostomy products are now available in Canada. Argyle Medical, based in Montreal, Que., is their Canadian distributor.

JoyfulPromise

Thank you so much for your reply to my post about stoma collars. I am sorry to be so late replying but I was never notified of the reply and it didn't show up on my "notifications" until today when I came on site. I will definitely check into your suggestions and I really do appreciate your kindness to respond to my question.
Very much!
Joyce